Author Topic: Mission R Review.  (Read 1146 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Mission R Review.
« on: August 05, 2012, 01:51:44 PM »
Here is a very nice long article about the Mission R.

"It is funny, for how much talk there is about how electric motorcycles will always lack the soul of a gas-powered motorcycle, the connection between rider and machine is surprisingly more entrenched on the Mission R than any other motorcycle I have ridden. Chew on that."

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/reviews/mission-motors-mission-r-review/

It's too bad that it's not available for sale, but it does show the potential for electric bikes. Provided that battery technology can improve to a point where range is no longer an issue, then it's clear to me that electrics are going to dominate the future.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Mission R Review.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »
Brammo needs to get him on the Empulse R to review.

They are doing demos at Scuderia sometime soon...should spend a second day in San Fran to get the reviewers some time with it and James.

Gavin

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
I wonder is Jensen Beeler has already discounted the Empulse.

"If I said I hated the current offering of electric motorcycles available for purchase, I might be using kind words. However, it is important to realize that despite the failures that are currently on the market, the initial idea, a motorcycle that runs off electricity, is ultimately a very good one. "

Technically, the Empulse is not currently available for purchase, so perhaps he's not including it in his list of failures. Hopefully he'll have some good things to say about the Empulse when he does get a chance to ride it, although he will no doubt be comparing it to the Mission R, which is a little unfair considering that the Mission R is a one off custom creation while the Empulse R is mass produced.

They are doing demos at Scuderia sometime soon...

Dark Helmet: When will "then" be "now?"
Col. Sandurz: Soon.

So any idea when "soon" will be? :D
Richard #935 #595 #44

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
Well, James is he Empulse dealer rep and he is suppose to be going to dealers this month...

I think Jason will like it. Powerful, gears, good seating position and much cheaper than a Mission R would be.

Gavin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:30:32 PM by Gavin »

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »
That was a pretty good review, but I was disappointed to see the same formula used as the Zero review.

How many times are they going to use variations on the same basic storyboard for their EV reviews:

1)  Choose a test route that is longer than the bike's range.
2)  Somehow screw up opportunity charging.
3)  Choose to try and complete the trip anyways.
4)  Run out of power before making it home.

At least they left out the "pound a few beers then intentionally run the battery down to reduced power mode on the interstate, then pretend the battery had died completely and piss on your own leg" storyboard.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 01:14:51 PM »
At least we can be thankful that we didn't get a photograph of anybody taking a leak on the side of the highway, or a pixelated one finger salute! ;)

I hadn't noticed the similarities, but you're right! The tone of the two reviews were quite different though. The Zero review was saying "this bike is no better than a scooter, but costs more and has way less range", while the Mission R review was a lot more positive.
Richard #935 #595 #44

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »
That was a pretty good review, but I was disappointed to see the same formula used as the Zero review.

How many times are they going to use variations on the same basic storyboard for their EV reviews:

1)  Choose a test route that is longer than the bike's range.
2)  Somehow screw up opportunity charging.
3)  Choose to try and complete the trip anyways.
4)  Run out of power before making it home.

At least they left out the "pound a few beers then intentionally run the battery down to reduced power mode on the interstate, then pretend the battery had died completely and piss on your own leg" storyboard.

They probably watched too much Top Gear...
Once you go EV, gas is history!

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »

They probably watched too much Top Gear...

Ha!  Good one!  It is sad that not only to they recycle their storyboards for their EV bike stories, they started by stealing Top Gear storyboards in the first place. 

I'm dying for a long-term review of any EV by any major gas vehicle magazine or TV show that starts like this:

"Since we're all smart enough to read an odometer and to use GPS, none of us here at (XXXXX magazine or XXXXX TV Show) have ever even come close to running it out of charge..."

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »
Motorcyclist Magazine also has a ride review for the Mission R.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1211_mission_r_electric_racer/

Worth comparing the Mission to the Empulse RR:

2011 Mission R
163 hp
133 ft-lb
550 lbs
14.4 kWh

2011 Empulse RR
86 hp
12.5 kWh
~515 lbs (I've read claims anywhere from 470 to 500+, but I'm going with Parker Racing's 2012 profile + A&R's claim of 35 pounds weight drop from 2011.

2012 Empulse RR
173 hp
480+ lbs (Brammo can add on booster packs to increase capacity / weight)
14+ kWh

I think if Steve Atlas and Eric Bostrom went out and worked Laguna Seca for a weekend with the final 2012 bikes, they could probably both beat Mission's laptime from 2011. TTXGP 2011 was really a stars-aligning moment for Mission - the right bike with the right rider in the right race at the right time - and I think that paired with a general disinterest in grand prix has led to their exit from racing.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 11:02:50 PM »
Jensen won't be happy until there is an electric bike that will do exactly what his Dutaci does now, as far as convenience, range, and weight.

Mission, moved from a motorcycle company to a drivetrain tech company, and most of the motorcycle guys have been slowly phased out.  I feel he only way the big wigs were going to allow racing is if it was 100% paid for by people outside the company, and even then they might charge a fee on top of that for use of the bike.  At this point it feels like the bike isn't much more than a glorified mascot.  Of course, as small as the racing series is it isn't attracting enough sponsors to get that much money.  As time marches on I am really curious to see just how well that motorcycle would work on other courses.  I suspect it wouldn't be as dominant.  Mission's times will fall next year for sure.  I also wonder if they had invested in racing if it wouldn't have proved beneficial.  Something I noticed with eCRP gone and Zero in the series this year, is that if you are racing you giving people something to talk about, whether you are running up front or not, finishing or not.  I had nothing to say about eCRP until they did that benefit race for the earthquake victims.  MotoCzysz, on the other hand, even though they only completed one race this year, has continued to make headlines, and possibly continued to drive business.  Zero made some headlines with recalls.  If MotoZero hadn't formed that would have been the only news.  But instead they has stock bikes banging bars every round this year, showing that they were reliable and fun bikes.  The racing series may not be big enough to actually be worth the equivalent advertizing dollars, but I believe companies like Brammo see it as paying into a bank, and when they come out the other end the payback will be big.  But companies like Brammo and Muench aren't just investing into their companies, they are investing in the industry in general.