Author Topic: Who Is Leading In Tech?  (Read 719 times)

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
  • Raised on a Harley but all about electric power!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Who Is Leading In Tech?
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »
If you had to pick an electric motorcycle company that you think is leading the way in the development of the best all around EV tech who would it be and why.

Obvious candidates are

Brammo/SMRE with the Transmission and Empulse

Motoczysz with the E1PC and speed records

Misson Motors with the Mission R

Others I may have left out.

I think they are all bring forth amazing things that are only improving the tech and industry as a whole. Your thoughts?

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Who Is Leading In Tech?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »
I think that Mission Motors has the best tech.

E1PC is fast, but mostly in a straight line.

The Brammo Transmission is more of a tool to bring the cost down. It also makes the bike feel more like a regular bike. The RR bike operates with a much higher voltage which allows the bike to have more torque at higher RPMs, but high voltage components are much more expensive.

There's also Zero. I suppose their tech edge is their light frame, and perhaps the removable battery.

Brammo may not have the best tech, but I think that it's probably the best tech that I could afford!
Richard #935 #595 #44

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:32:14 PM »
Mission is a powertrain company who happens to have built a motorcycle test application, among other things. I'm not sure they qualify - and if they do, they're certainly not targeting affordable mainstream designs .. but their technology is top-tier.

Zero is IMO the only company that is presently selling a current-generation bike (NMC or other > LiFE battery tech, AC motor, regen-capable controller).

SMRE has developed the IET and motor, Brammo just has to integrate it. Brammo has talked up the Digital Power batteries some; I suspect they design and manufacturer the modules, but the cells are likely from China or Korea.

BRD, Brammo, Agility, et al are shipping relatively affordable current-gen bikes in the next several months.

BMW, KTM, Honda have all built or are building concept electric two wheel vehicles. Some of them are even being built in moderate quantities. To date these have just been diversions and engineering exercises .. but they're positioning themselves to move quickly if they deem the market is ready.

I pick Mission Motors for the most advanced motorcycle-related tech. As long as cost is no object.

The question of whether advanced technology will get cost-engineered into affordability or whether more.. pedestrian technology will pick up whiz-bang features with time.. well, let's find out : )
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:48:20 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »
As with most other technologies one would hope that the trickle down effect will occur over time and all of this bleeding edge tech by companies like Mission Motors that is only available to the super wealthy will eventually make its way down into common man attainable vehicles. It may take some time but at least knowing the technology exists means that eventually it will become common placed.

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:22:11 AM »
If you had to pick an electric motorcycle company that you think is leading the way in the development of the best all around EV tech who would it be and why.

I think they are all bring forth amazing things that are only improving the tech and industry as a whole. Your thoughts?

Zero for actually putting their tech into customer's hands via updating their motorcycles and turning out new models fairly rapidly.  Tech that doesn't get into customer's hands doesn't do much good for customers.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:02:55 AM by 1416 »

Mithion

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 08:52:15 AM »
That's actually very true 1416. What good is tech that no one has access to.