Author Topic: Empulse review in Motorcycle Consumer News  (Read 819 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse review in Motorcycle Consumer News
« on: August 22, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »
I just received the September issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. They have a full-page "First Impression" of the Empulse and Empulse R.  There is nothing new in this article and it seems to be assembled from the information provided at the Empulse launch party.  However there are some details about the chassis that I hadn't heard before (maybe you have), so I thought I would repeat a paragraph in the article titled "Nice Hardware".

"At 470 lbs. fully charged ( ???), Brammo has equipped the Empulse with what's described as an E-Beam aluminum chassis fabricated by Accossato in Italy. The frame has a rake of 24 degrees and is supported by a 43mm Marzocchi fork with forged triple clamps giving 3.8" of trail. The swingarm and subframe are made from steel tube, while a set of cast 17" Marchesini wheels in 3.50" widths, f/r respectively fitted with treaded Avon AV79 tires in 120/70-17 and 180/55-17 sizes, support a wheelbase of 58". The brakes include a pair of Brembo monoblock calipers covering 310mm Brembo floating discs in front, with a dual-piston Brembo caliper in back."

The article goes on to say: " The differences in the two models are more subtle than their pricing suggests. The $18,995 Empulse R, sold only in red and available now, comes with a fully adjustable Marzocchi fork and Sachs shock and lightweight carbon-fiber front and rear fender, front cowl and pinstriped cast wheels. The standard Empulse still gets the Marzocchi 43mm fork, but lacks compression damping adjustability, although it is adjustable for rebound and spring preload and also gets low-friction coated sliders to improve compliance.

Total carrying capacity is given as 805 pounds which doesn't sound right to me. The article ends with "If our testing confirms the company's claims, the Brammo electrics appear to have both speed and endurance."

To me, the standard Empulse, at a list price of $16,995, sounds like a better deal than the R version, which I am not sure is worth the extra $2000. I also think you are getting much more for your additional $3,000 when buying the Empulse than the $14,000 ZF9 Zero S - just based upon the chassis and motor specs. If both bikes had been available at the same time, I would have paid the additional money just to get the nice chassis parts, even though I don't need the extra performance, size and weight of the Empulse.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Empulse review in Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:07:40 AM »
Brammo claims 805 lbs gross vehicle weight. 335 lbs passengers + cargo.

Agree that the non-R Empulse is more than $3k of bike more than the Zero. Comparing a 2012 bike to a 2013 though. 2013 Zeros are rumored to show up at one of the October bike shows, for release next year .. will be the real competition as the non-R and the Enertia Pluses roll into full production.

Interesting times.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:55:59 AM »
The extra $2000 also gets you onto an Empulse a lot sooner. If both bikes were available at the same time, I would get the less expensive one. Since they are not, I plan to get the R. That is also beneficial to me since I'm 935th in line, and I doubt that 934 other people are going to want to pay the extra cash. So I'm effectively paying a bit more to jump the queue.
:P
Richard #935 #595 #44

05Sultan

• Enertia Master
  • Machina #1065 Empulse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:26:59 AM »
A couple reasons I'm waiting for the regular Empulse are the possible(but slim)E vehicle tax credits that might happen next year, don't really need the carbon fibre parts or fork adjustability, and.......I want a color other than red!  :P silly,but truth.......
"I just drank what?"-Socrates