Author Topic: Another recall for Zero Motorcycles  (Read 1318 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another recall for Zero Motorcycles
« on: September 21, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »
Thanks to Richard230 over on the electricmotorcycleforum.com for posting the news:
It looks like Zero wasted no time in recalling the "glitch":

NHTSA Campaign ID Number :   12V455
Manufacturer :   ZERO MOTORCYCLES INC.
Make / Model Years :   ZERO / 2012
Subject :    Motor Encoder Position Signal/Possible Stall

Not sure I agree with you about the 'wasted no time' comment, but we are all entitled to our own opinions.

News like this is not good for the EV industry as a whole and especially the two-wheeled sector.  I'm just glad that Zero seems to have nailed down the cause of the "glitch" and is working on solving it.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Another recall for Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »
The process of identifying and fixing the glitch took a significant period of time - approximately 3 months per this timeline (PDF) - but the recall was issued about a week after implementing and testing the final solution. The glitch has been solved, at least to Zero's satisfaction - what remains is pushing updates to all the bikes in the field.

Zero had my bike for around four weeks while they chased the issue. I of course would have liked a substantially swifter resolution, but they issued daily reports back to me and I don't feel mistreated at the end of the day (month).

While these type of glitches are not good for the EV industry, it's important that the companies involved swiftly and decisively correct operational defects. Let's hope Brammo has taken the time while the Empulse was delayed to make sure it's rock solid from the start, but I have confidence they will continue their excellent customer service they have shown to Enertia owners should issues arise.

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 04:26:38 PM »
My bike was picked up at my home last week to have the new firmware installed. It was then tested for 250 miles and returned to me on Monday.  When I said that Zero wasted no time in recalling their bikes to fix the "glitch" I was thinking of the time between when their solution to the stalling problem was finally resolved and confirmed and when the recall was filed with the NHTSA.  I was told that they had communication issues when dealing with Sevcon with regard to designing firmware to solve the drifting encoder problem that may have delayed the resolution of the problem.  But I really don't know nearly as much about what was going on as does Protomech.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
I might also add that I am used to motorcycle recalls.  My F650GS has had several, mostly related to chassis safety issues over the past 4 years and a number of "field modifications" that should have been caught at the factory, by the part suppliers, or by the engineers who designed the bike.  BMW has been making motorcycles since 1923 and they still can't get them right the first time, even though they have all of those years of experience, a huge amount of technology, engineers, resources, tons of money and lots of dealers.  Plus most of the time, unless it is an obvious safety issue that might result in a liability claim, they usually tell the customer that the problem is due to a "wear" item and not covered by the warranty.  Then they fix the part some time in the future when introducing the next version of the model while leaving the current owners to live with the problem. 

As far as I am concerned, Zero is doing a good job resolving problems in a timely manner, especially when you consider the cutting-edge vehicle technology and the size of their company that no doubt has limited resources and is trying to sell electric motorcycles all over the world. They took a risk by designing and manufacturing a pretty advanced production electric motorcycle and then selling as many as they could all over North America and Europe, before they really had much of a dealer or distribution network set up.  They will have to live with that decision, but at least they are not leaving their customers to hang out to dry - at least in my opinion.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »
Brief posting on the recall in the Wall Street Journal:
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2012/09/22/zero-recalls-electric-bikes-that-may-stall-in-traffic/

Oh geeze... the comments.  So. Much. Stupid.

Here's an example:

5:37 pm September 22, 2012
freecheese wrote :
I can imagine the “Men” who ride these things. They are college liberal arts student lefties . They shave their legs and armpits and have their chests waxed, They cry like a little girl when they argue with their ditzy girl friend. They don’t know how to change a flat tire or drive a stick shift, and think they are victims.
They would be horrified if somebody cranked up a Harley next to them. In other words, pussies.

Someone tell me a story of hope - I need my faith in humanity restored.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:54:41 AM »
This is just another example of why the EV community needs to stick together and not build fences around our different brands of electric vehicles. We can't give the idiots of the world any more ammunition than they can generate in their own little brains.

What I really like about Brammo and Zero is that the two brands are offering two different motorcycles that don't exactly compete with each other.  The Empulse is really a high-end sport bike, while the Zero is more of a commuter and freeway-legal utility vehicle.  There is some overlap, but not all that much. (Well, maybe the Plus and the ZF6 are almost directly comparable.)  Hopefully EV dealers and owners will support each other and compete on the track and not in the press.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
I'd like to see "freecheese" to roll up to one of these guys and try to call him a pussy.

In time, when enough electric bikes are on the road, opinions will change. I'm sure that something like the Brutus will help to convince some people.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Deadly Silent Ninja

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »
Someone tell me a story of hope - I need my faith in humanity restored.

Watch this:

It might not do anything for your faith in humanity, but it's funny!!!

In time, when enough electric bikes are on the road, opinions will change. I'm sure that something like the Brutus will help to convince some people.
The Brutus is a great bike. It's particularly enjoyable because it's quiet. It just needs to be more affordable, as most EVs.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Another recall for Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »
Yeah, that did make me chuckle.  :D

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 08:27:44 PM »
You can stream full episodes of south park BTW. Irritatingly, it seems you can't link to a specific time.. but the burns starts from the start.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s13e12-the-f-word

Funny. : )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/