Author Topic: Loud pipes cause access restriction and get me ranting  (Read 834 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Loud pipes cause access restriction and get me ranting
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:00:32 AM »
Here is my loud pipe rant for today:   >:(

The public may not be all that enthusiastic about electric vehicles due to cost and range limitations (I hear that sales of EVs are falling and not meeting manufacturers' projections), but I do think they will appreciate their lack of noise, especially when it comes to motorcycles.  One of my favorite rides in the San Francisco Bay Area is to ride up Mt. Hamilton to visit the Lick Observatory and then ride back down the east side of the mountain to Livermore, head east and return to my home on the coast.  The Observatory is open in the morning and it makes a nice place to stop, admire the view and use their restroom and water fountain before continuing the ride. The first time I took this ride was with a friend in 1962 while riding my Vespa 125.  That was quite an adventure then as there was not a sole east of the Observatory, other than a few cows.  Things have changed now and the ride is more like either a race track or a noisy parade, depending upon the riding group and time of day.

Last night, in the October issue of City Bike I read an article regarding the Observatory astronomers complaining about being wakened during the mornings by groups of loud motorcycles trying to save everyone's lives within a quarter mile radius.  Apparently the astronomers would prefer to sleep in after working all night and didn't appreciate their lives being saved.  So the Observatory asked that the CHP establish a checkpoint during the morning on the access road, Highway 130, to inspect for muffler equipment violations.  The CHP responded that they didn't have the staff nor the budget to comply with that request.  The Observatory has now announced that starting October 1 it would close their parking lot on top of the mountain to motorcycle riders during the mornings and not allow access until after noon.

Anyone traveling around San Jose will appreciate that there is much less traffic during the morning on the narrow and twisty road up Mt. Hamilton. Riding there during the morning makes for a much more enjoyable ride.  Closing the parking lot to motorcycle riders during the morning is going to suck.  I hope the loud-pipe contingent appreciate what they have done for riders of quiet motorcycles in their efforts to inform the rest of the public that they are in the vicinity.

In my opinion, electric motorcycles have the potential to completely change the public's perception of the sport due to their quiet operation.  I just hope that day comes before we are completely banned from public roads.   :(
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Loud pipes cause access restriction and get me ranting
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:32:21 AM »
Is there an online link to this article?  I'd like to call attention to it and copy my brother, the owner of a Harley Davidson tricycle.  ::)  >:(
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
17 Mile Drive is a prime example. They don't want the noise and pollution of bikes (often modded to be loud and dirty)...but they let us ride our electric bikes ride on it.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:11:30 PM »
...I do think they will appreciate their lack of noise, especially when it comes to motorcycles...

...In my opinion, electric motorcycles have the potential to completely change the public's perception of the sport due to their quiet operation...

I think folks pretty much find a reason to complain about anything other groups of people are doing.  As long as they aren't driving EV's themselves, they will complain that electric vehicles are too quiet.  They will even complain while sitting in the driver's seat of their nearly silent Lexus or other luxury car that makes about the same amount of noise as an EV driving down the street.  They will complain about how silent EV's are even while they have their favorite music cranked up to 11 so there is zero chance of hearing other vehicles around them.  People will text their buddies and update their facebook pages while driving 80 mph down the interstate, saying how a silent EV just came out of nowhere and nearly caused them to wreck.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »
Is there an online link to this article?  I'd like to call attention to it and copy my brother, the owner of a Harley Davidson tricycle.  ::)  >:(

The October issue of City Bike just came out a few days ago.  I believe that they don't post their articles on-line for several months after the issue is published as the business plan is to supply their local advertisers with free issues to help attract customers to their stores.  However, I will do my best to copy the article verbatim:

Barbarians At The Gates

A rumor cropped up on Bay Area Rider's Forum (bayarearidersforum.com) that motorcycles and only motorcycles would be banned from the parking lot at the Mt. Hamilton Lick Observatory starting October 1. A great wailing and gnashing of teeth arose from the forum, until the observatory's deputy director, John Wareham wrote in to tell everybody no, motorcyclists would not be banned, but starting October 1 the parking lot wouldn't open until noon to discourage (not ban) motorcycles (especially unmuffled ones) riding past or to the observatory on weekend mornings.

Seems that the astronomers work nights (of course they do!) and their living quarters are right on Highway 130, with naught but old-fashioned single-paned glass between them and your straight pipes. "We have asked CHP to assist us by conducting vehicle noise enforcement on Mt. Hamilton Road so there can be a differentiation between motorcyclists who have sufficient exhaust system muffling from those who do not. We don't wish to paint everyone with the same broad brush. However, CHP states they simply do not have the budget to undertake such an enforcement initiative. So, we will be asking motorcyclists to voluntarily assist us in this matter by making treks up Mt. Hamilton an afternoon endeavor."

Such a reasonable request, we hope, will be rewarded with considerate behavior, at least from our readers.

Attached is a photo of the Observatory parking lot and my motorcycle early in the morning.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Loud pipes cause access restriction and get me ranting
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »
Thanks Richard.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki