Author Topic: Parker motor pic  (Read 3219 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Parker motor pic
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 09:17:48 PM »
The current performance of the Empulse R production Parker motor is 40kW / 82Nm (60.5 ft-lbs).  

The current Brammo spec page:

http://www.brammo.com/empulse_specifications/

shows the max motor torque as: 63Nm (46.5 foot pounds)

Brian sez the current motor puts out 82Nm (60.5 ft-lbs)

According to my cheap calculator this is a 23% bump in torque and I find torque MUCH more fun than horsepower.

Heck, this amount of torque is in the ballpark of my R1200R's 85Nm and that was a 1200cc honkin twin that could scoot and weighed 20 lbs more, even if it had to spin up to 6000 RPM to achieve that figure.

Maybe this bump would (should?) attract the marketing types. I appreciate Brian's comments on how Flexible Product Development is at odds with the certainties in stone that marketing favors, but even if specs end up changing again, this is the figure that is being shipped to the public right NOW.

At least the change on the site's spec sheet should be easy to carry out.

And for a sample of one, when I saw the new figure, my heart skipped a beat.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:21:51 PM by Shinysideup »

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 11:17:51 PM »
Stop speculation? Yeah right.. I'm spinning up on speculation for Empulse 2.0 .. and it involves making better use of that size 6 controller..

Yeah... just kidding on that one... I actually enjoy the speculation as much as the next guy.  ;D

Better use of the size 6, huh?  The Sevcon engineers tend to think we're taking it for all it's got...

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 10:10:15 PM »
Ahh, 60 ftlb is only 8 less than Zero's 2013 S. :o  So now it's almost the same power from both bikes, but one has a 6-speed gearbox and the other weighs 90lbs less.  I think eSS took a little lean to the Brammo, but 90lbs is 90lbs.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 12:20:40 AM »
Zero runs essentially the same pack voltage and a Size 4 version of the Sevcon. Same peak power - maybe they're able to get away with a Size 4 because the controller and passively cooled motor will hit thermal limits at about the same time? Both companies I'll assume have done their homework, and either Zero is undersizing, Brammo is oversizing, or the particular controllers selected simply work best for each application.

eSS lineup between Brammo and Zero will be dictated by thermals. IMO. At least going by the MIC range tests, the Zero appears to be more efficient.. it's lighter by 120 pounds if we compare the ZF8.5 bike (perhaps less if both bikes remove their onboard chargers).. but I'm really curious how well passive cooling + a smaller controller will work out.

Along those lines, though.. Zero has adapted and reused what appears to be the same basic frame and chassis design since 2006 with the Electricross (and before Zero was Zero). I'm absolutely clueless wrt motorcycle frame designs, but I wonder if it's starting to hit limitations with 250% original power. On the flipside.. the Empulse per Wes Siler's review seems to plead for more power. Certainly that 180 width tire would like some more : )

It does seem like it would be .. "easy" to slot in a one-size larger Parker motor.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 08:59:36 AM »
A larger motor? It will be interesting to see if an aftermarket develops for electric motorcycles. How would you tune such a beast? Perhaps the controller is over sized to allow such modifications. Very interesting... not that a guy like me would really need more power. ;D

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
Ahh, 60 ftlb is only 8 less than Zero's 2013 S. :o  So now it's almost the same power from both bikes, but one has a 6-speed gearbox and the other weighs 90lbs less.  I think eSS took a little lean to the Brammo, but 90lbs is 90lbs.

Motor torque is (nearly) irrelevant.  Do the calculations to rear wheel torque though the gear ratios... then let's check how comparable the performance is...

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 02:56:05 AM »
Haha Brian.  Kind of what I meant by my gearbox vs weight comment, but nice to have it put more succinctly from the horse's mouth.  Feeling confident aren't we.  :D

@protomech, You're right 120lbs, because running the 11.5 would seem pointless.  I doubt there will be thermal issues.  I say this because Zero had none last year.  If we do see some I suspect it will be a sign of just how "hot" their maps are.

@ hotrodding.  Umm, Sevcon does make a size 8 and 10 folks.  ;D