Author Topic: Motorcyclist Magazine reviews the Empulse  (Read 967 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Motorcyclist Magazine reviews the Empulse
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:32:20 PM »
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_1304_brammo_empulse_r/viewall.html
The great Aaron Frank seems to like it.

Gotta love this:

Once I finally learn to ignore the lever and just twist the throttle, I’m fairly amazed at how hard the Empulse jumps off the line. Brammo claims 60 lb.-ft. of torque at the peak, but the term “peak” isn’t applicable here. The torque output is digitally restricted until 4500 rpm, when it enters what Brammo refers to as a “continuous power region” where the curve remains essentially flat, without peaking or falling, right to the 8200-rpm redline. This makes the Empulse feels like it accelerates significantly harder, and for significantly longer, than any ICE bike with a similar torque output. It might only have a 100-mph top speed, but it feels like it gets there as quickly as any superbike.

The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcyclist Magazine reviews the Empulse
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:36:45 PM »
Awesome review for sure.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:35:21 PM »
Really good review.  As far as I can tell completely accurate, detailed, and fair.  With a bit of excitement.  I have been really impressed with Alan Cathcart's articles, but they always seemed to be a bit too enthusiastic.  Like I'm not sure if he really feels electric or the bikes are that good or is talking it up a bit.  And then in Cathcart's last article about the 2013 Zero S he makes comments about a transmission rang negative and not particularly thought out or fair.  I began to worry Frank was going to do a similar thing in favor of transmissions, but then plays it fair to Zero, making the transmission more about personal taste and a more conventional experience than any technical advantage.  I think this has been the best article so far, but I am pro EVs, so . . .

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »
That is an excellent review of the Empulse and it contains a lot of interesting information about the model.  The exploded view of the transmission sure caught me off guard.  It doesn't look like any motorcycle transmission that I have seen before and looking at the picture I haven't a clue how it works.   ???
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.