Author Topic: Assorted Farkles  (Read 2288 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Assorted Farkles
« on: January 20, 2013, 03:29:04 PM »
I've updated my photos, adding descriptions and a few how-to tips.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10852133@N02/sets/72157632567075439/

These include: HID light, Centech fuse block, front running lights, Rizoma blinkers, garage door opener, heated clothing controller, frame sliders, rear Hyperlite brake lights.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:46:06 PM by Shinysideup »

CAT in HAWAII

• Empulse Guru
  • Empulse in HAWAII ,,,,
    • View Profile
Re: Assorted Farkles
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »

These include: HID light, Centech fuse block, front running lights, Rizoma blinkers, garage door opener, heated clothing controller, frame sliders, rear Hyperlite brake lights.
Wow! I'm impressed! Really nice pics of your mods,,, & adding links is really gonna help,, once I get my bike!

Waiting for delivery is killing me! But,, riding year round will probably make up for it!
Crashed! Don't go up against a semi-truck,, it ain't pretty!

2017 Indian Chief Classic,,,

SWAPPED!! First 2013 Empulse R in HAWAII !!! 🏄

-=SOLD=- HD Sportster 1200 Sport Anniversary Ed. -=SOLD=-

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 01:04:03 AM »
Huge thanks Shiny. I got a short list of "farkles" now and I dont even have the bike yet.

Louder horn
HID
Parking brake
Frame sliders

And a black tank cover so I can swap between white and black. ;D

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
To get the rear wheel up on a stand, you need to attach something to the swingarm, right? I think it's called a "swingarm spool".

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10852133@N02/8398564991/#in/set-72157632567075439

How should I go about selecting one?
  • Do they have standard threads, or do I need to be careful to find one that matches the bike?
  • Is bike weight a factor?
  • What advantages to the expensive ones ($100+) have over the cheap ones ($34)?
Richard #935 #595 #44

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »
IMHO, spools are the way to go. They make it super easy. And it means that you can get super cheap alloy stands and just bend them to match your width. I can't find my favorite generic aluminum stands, but they look like simple versions of these.
  http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LP-USA-SPORTBIKE-ALUMINUM-SWINGARM-COMP-STAND.html

You don't need spools with most double-sided swingarms. You can get something like this, which is what I used for my Enertia. The L-bracket stands work alright, but they do feel less stable.
  http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LP-USA-3-PIECE-STEEL-SWINGARM-RACE-STAND-L-BRACKET.html

Anyone know what size threads for spools and frame sliders are on the Empulse yet?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:59:29 AM by implovator »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:38:09 PM »
10 mm front
8 mm rear

Since these are the first I've bought, I have no idea what the $100 ones have that the cheaper ones don't. Mine work fine to get the bike off the floor. End of story, for me. ;)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:33 PM »

You don't need spools with most double-sided swingarms. You can get something like this, which is what I used for my Enertia. The L-bracket stands work alright, but they do feel less stable.
  http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LP-USA-3-PIECE-STEEL-SWINGARM-RACE-STAND-L-BRACKET.html

I did that for my first sportbike, and I will never do it again. Spools are the way to go with a notched stand. If you get a pitbull stand, one side with be notched to work with spools and the other side is a pad so in the event a spool gets broken off, you would still be able to put the bike on a stand (great for track day crashes). The $30 spools will work just fine.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 02:18:26 PM »
+1 on notched support arms.

I bought a Pitbull stand with both the notch and the platform support choices, mainly because it's what my local dealer had in stock.

Before deciding to spring for the spools and use the notched support, I thought: "Hmm... squishy fluid-filled body supported by breakable bones adjacent to 470 lb. $20K bike. Which support method seems more likely to actually support my bike as I'm wrenching around on it?"

Notches won. And, so far, my body's intact.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:46 PM »
I have the Pitbull stand... Love it. Just wondering though, should I order sliders before I go to pickup the bike (whenever that happens) or should the (as yet unknown) dealer have the right sliders? Either way, which sliders do you guys suggest? Not that I plan on wrecking my Empulse, but I dont want to jinx my ride home either by not having sliders.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
When it comes to rear wheel service stands that are easy to operate by one person, my recommendation is to buy the Cycle Cat USC1 stand.  Before I bought this stand, I lived in fear every time I lifted the rear wheel of my motorcycles by myself using the typical shop or track stand.  I was afraid that the bike would tip over as I lifted it.  The Cycle Cat stand comes with a V-notch spool adapter and its geometry is such that it makes lifting the bike very secure as it raises the rear of the bike without any tipping.  It is a very interesting design and well worth the extra money over the typical track stand.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 08:13:08 PM »
I have the Pitbull stand... Love it. Just wondering though, should I order sliders before I go to pickup the bike (whenever that happens) or should the (as yet unknown) dealer have the right sliders? Either way, which sliders do you guys suggest? Not that I plan on wrecking my Empulse, but I dont want to jinx my ride home either by not having sliders.

I would skip the sliders. They're okay for a track bike, but for street they're just as likely to catch on something and make the bike flip as they are to save the frame. And if you crash hard enough to make the sliders actually be needed, the repair cost isn't going to be affected by sliders anyway. Incidentally, the "tank" will be what the bike will slide on, and you'll be replacing that anyway if you go down.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »

I would skip the sliders. They're okay for a track bike, but for street they're just as likely to catch on something and make the bike flip as they are to save the frame. And if you crash hard enough to make the sliders actually be needed, the repair cost isn't going to be affected by sliders anyway. Incidentally, the "tank" will be what the bike will slide on, and you'll be replacing that anyway if you go down.

I must wreck like a champ then because they saved my bike from more extensive damage the two times that I have went down. Never had tank damage, just bar end, mirror, and fairings. Both low sides. But I do see what you are saying, I just feel more confident with em there.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 08:48:57 PM »
On my RT I use the rear stand that stays attached to the bottom of the bike and the extra large sliders that store a full sized helmet each.  Although, so far, they haven't lived up to the "slide" part of "slider", more like just the "resting on the ground while the rider curses himself out" part of "slider"...

:( in case anyone is wondering...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:45:09 AM »
Hey Flar, I'm with you on the utility of center stands!

And just FYI: In my 25 mph off, my R1200R side case, despite being clevis pinned to the bike, ripped right off. And the bolt-on engine guard tubing folded up like well-done pasta.

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 04:23:29 PM »

Ahhh yes that KTM brake thing is exactly what I want.  Here I was starting to think I'd need to introduce the world's first Empulse broccoli rubber-band parking brake.  Many thanks!