Author Topic: Empulse Headlight  (Read 1759 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Empulse Headlight
« on: January 26, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »
I just read Wes Siller's article about riding a 2012 Zero DS for three weeks.

He didn't have anything positive to say about that bike's headlight, which is the same as the Empulse headlight.

Quote from: Wes Siller
there’s really no excuse for a headlight that doesn't illuminate squat

It would appear that Shinysideup would agree with Wes in that regard. I'm sure that the stock headlight is legal, and just I hope that it's good enough for me. Shiny's modifications are excellent, but I don't know if I can do as good a job as he did, nor do I like the idea that I have to do work on a brand new bike.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse Headlight
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:04:52 AM »
I totally agree with Wes. No excuse. In my case, I love the whole experience of riding the Empulse so much, that it was a no-brainer to decide to make the bike work for me at night. But then I've added auxiliary lights to just about every bike I've owned, except when I was too young and dumb to know better.

I think this is one area where Brammo could step up in version 2 and make a game-changing statement in motorcycle lighting. They'd probably have to design and build something in-house though, instead of purchasing something from TriOM in Italy, off the shelf. I really don't think it would be that hard to design and build, especially if they could use their contracted facility in Eastern Europe for the fabrication. Might not be too much cost either, with electronics falling in price all the time.

I'm very impressed with the performance of the LED lights I bought for a couple of hundred dollars retail, and, while I understand that a manufacturer has to cut costs where they can on a machine whose price point is very high due to the batteries, I feel adding some extra dollars into the price for a truly state-of-the-art LED motorcycle headlight would be well worthwhile, not only for the safety of their customers, but for the advertising cred they'd achieve by being out in front. A LOT of moto headlights suck. So a Brammolight (TM) that was totally different and really effective would very much stand out. Especially at night!

Imagine something like this 6" round light unit, embedded behind a sleek transparent cover surrounded by a carbon fiber shell. Some of the 7 bulbs could be for low beam and some come on for high beam...

http://www.amazon.com/Vision-XIL-SP720-Solstice-Degree-Narrow/dp/B004LACI4Q

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:55:55 AM by Shinysideup »

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:29:04 AM »
Hmmm.  In my opinion, the stock light is not great, and nowhere near as good as my RT's dual H4's, but you can see.  I definitely would like to upgrade to a lower power and brighter solution even if it costs me some of my monthly "toy" budget, but I'm not in fear of my life just riding normally down the road at night. I'll have to see the HID conversion output in person before I worry about it.  I'd love to go solid state LED if I can find a solution that works well - something about an all-electric bike just seems to beg for a nice high tech solid state lighting solution.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:18:31 AM »
Hmmm.  In my opinion, the stock light is not great, and nowhere near as good as my RT's dual H4's, but you can see.  I definitely would like to upgrade to a lower power and brighter solution even if it costs me some of my monthly "toy" budget, but I'm not in fear of my life just riding normally down the road at night. I'll have to see the HID conversion output in person before I worry about it.  I'd love to go solid state LED if I can find a solution that works well - something about an all-electric bike just seems to beg for a nice high tech solid state lighting solution.

I agree you can see with the stock setup. It's just that I get paranoid at night at higher speeds. The freeway has debris and the road to where I live has small animals (possum, skunk, raccoon, cats, dogs) crossing. I'm just more comfortable seeing those things from far away. Plus my eyes' night vision ain't what they used be.

I also had that same feeling: a state-of-art electric bike should have some really cool electronic lamps that sip the amps, not because they need to, but because they can and therefore should.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
I probably haven't overridden my headlight yet because I'm still in the "break in plus brand new tires plus new bike to get used to" phase.  When I get more confidence they may be more limiting...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650