Author Topic: CHP issues new regulations for lane-splitting  (Read 676 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
CHP issues new regulations for lane-splitting
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:47:35 PM »
I just heard on the news that the California Highway Patrol, after receiving thousands of complaints from motorists, has issued new regulations (guidelines?) for when motorcycle riders will receive tickets for splitting lanes (filtering) on State highways. The CHP now will give tickets (for what, I am not sure, but they have lots of options) to riders splitting lanes where traffic is moving in excess of 30 mph.

I knew this was going to happen. After seeing riders split lanes on the freeway while traffic was moving at 70 mph, I figured that the hammer would come down soon.  At least the State legislature hasn't passed any laws prohibiting the practice - yet.   ::)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: CHP issues new regulations for lane-splitting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:53:24 PM »
Are you referring to this guideline that was recently published?

It is a list of recommendations to motorcyclists, but the only citations it lists is for what they will do to automobile drivers who interfere with motorcycles splitting lanes.  Where did the news get word that they will cite motorcyclists who exceed the guidelines?
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 02:06:17 AM »

Missing URL?

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

While the guidelines caution car drivers from trying to stop lane splitters ("Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400). Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517)",  the only passage I could find applying to bikers is this:

"Risk of getting a ticket: Motorcyclists who lane split are not relieved of the responsibility to obey all existing traffic laws. With respect to possible law enforcement action, keep in mind that it will be up to the discretion of the Law Enforcement Officer to determine if riding behavior while lane splitting is or was safe and prudent."

I split lanes almost daily and have gone by dozens of officers in their police cruisers. Not a problem, but then I don't weave in and out, or split at a big speed differential and never over 30 mph.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:21:23 AM »

Missing URL?

It's not missing, the forum defaults just disguise them.  Try mousing over "this guideline"...

"Risk of getting a ticket: Motorcyclists who lane split are not relieved of the responsibility to obey all existing traffic laws. With respect to possible law enforcement action, keep in mind that it will be up to the discretion of the Law Enforcement Officer to determine if riding behavior while lane splitting is or was safe and prudent."

I split lanes almost daily and have gone by dozens of officers in their police cruisers. Not a problem, but then I don't weave in and out, or split at a big speed differential and never over 30 mph. 

That is simply the status quo being explained. They always could (and would) ticket you for breaking any traffic laws.

And I, too, have usually followed the guidelines they have listed.  It was what I was taught in the MSF courses that I've taken.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 02:22:52 AM »
Also, from what I've always heard, the CHP has generally supported lane splitting - insert disclaimer about "when responsibly practiced".

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
I head another report about is item on the Channel 7 news last night.  It was reported that the new rules (apparently announced yesterday) for the CHP are that traffic must be moving no more than 30 mph and the motorcycle's speed shall be no more than 10 miles an hour faster than the cars they are passing.  If they are not conforming to these "guidelines" then the CHP will give them a ticket (they didn't say for what, but the CHP will think of something) - assuming they can catch the offender.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
Here are the official CHP guidelines:  http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
I recall hearing the guidelines (< 30 mph, and no more than 10 mph above road traffic speed) a year or two back.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »
I first heard the guidelines 23 years ago when I took my first MSF Basic Rider Course.

The MSF is the CHP's primary contractor for their California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP).

The guidelines are decades old - this is the first time they've published them on their site.

In an article in the Sacramento Bee CHP Sgt. Mark Pope was quoted "Pope said the guidelines do not reflect new policy. The CHP has long held that lane-splitting is legal in California because nothing in the state Vehicle Code specifically prohibits it." but he does say that they did this because the number of motorcyclists in the state has risen in recent years and there was a need to educate riders on how to do it safely, noting "We are trying to get people to slow down".  But, in the end, this is not new, they are simply educating the public that hasn't taken an MSF course, where they would have received this information, on what the recommended safe guidelines are for the practice.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/02/07/5171619/california-highway-patrol-posts.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#storylink=cpy