Author Topic: Clip-Ons anyone?  (Read 2673 times)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Clip-Ons anyone?
« on: February 24, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
I've been riding standard bars for a few years now and I swore I'd never ride clip-ons on the street again. I might reconsider with the Empulse though. The cockpit is tight and small and I actually struggle to get my head low when hanging off. I *feel* like my helmet is nearly hitting the bar. to compensate, I try to slide back in the saddle, but the sloping seat makes that difficult.

I'm not trying to be critical, I am just amazed at how well it handles out of the box and I think I just want to corner it more aggressively. I'll probably ride it purely stock for a while and see what I think once I get rearsets on there.

Seriously though...this think flat out handles. The dampening is a little firm for the street, but despite the backend hopping around through corners it still feels really planted. I can't wait until break-in is over. :)

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Clip-Ons anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »
Would love this.  Anyone know what would fit?

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Clip-Ons anyone?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
I would like to change out the handlebar too.

Since I'm trying to hyper-mile, I want to get as low as possible and stay there for about an hour (the time it takes me to go about 50 miles). I'm actually resting my chest on the tank while I ride. Wide handlebars are very uncomfortable in that position. (The mirrors are also useless since my head is way past the mirrors, which is why I'm trying out some bar end mirrors.)

I spoke to a few people about replacement handlebars. I would be interested to see how well clipons would work, and if they would be any more comfortable when riding in a tucked position.
Richard #935 #595 #44

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »
Hmmm. I just threw some calipers on the fork tubes and I read 52.8mm. Vortex carries 52mm and 53mm, so I'm not sure if the 0.8 mm I got was slop a 52mm is needed or if a 53mm is a safer bet. I've always ordered clip-ons for know bikes and forks.

I probably won't motivate to do this for a while, but if I get around to it I'll happily post up info. One thing that looked tough to get around is a clearance issue with some extra metal on the headlight cowling. It looks pretty tight right in front of the forks and that's the area where the bars are fitted into their clamps. It if just means losing some metal, then that's OK. However, I'm not sacrificing an ounce of that carbon fiber that I paid so dearly for. :) At least we know we won't have to change out control lines. I was talking to a guy that put standard bars on an SV S and he had a helluva time with the "kit" he purchased. To make matters worse, his SV has traction control and there was lots of interesting plumbing to do.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:03:27 PM »
This guy tended to like the clip-ons:

I'll check to see whether we're running 52 or 53mm when I get in tomorrow.  The Empulse was designed with proper clearances to run clip-ons. 

A comparison photo - stock vs. clip-ons. 

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 10:28:13 PM »
oooooooh that's awesome!  How I didn't notice that before is beyond me!  If you also find out what brand they used would be great too!

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:58:15 PM »
The original prototype had clip-ons, and I have been assured in the past that clip-ons would be an option.  This would be the first test with the clip-ons, and I am kicking myself for not noticing.  That was probably the final touch that got them 2011 RR times with the TTX.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
53mm is the correct size.  The ones shown on the TTX are from Driven Racing, although Vortex and Renthal are my personal favorites mostly for totally non-logical reasons.  The 7 degree angle is the standard, although some manufacturers offer "flat" 0 degree bars as well. 

Look closely at the photos and you'll notice there's been a modification to the seat as well.  This was very beneficial when paired with the clip-ons for track riding.   

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 11:03:30 PM »
Dennis Kirk has Renthal's for $132.95.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Clip-Ons anyone?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 11:58:57 PM »
Looking at the bike, how do you remove the stock handlebar mounts?  Also does the headlights get in way of the clip ons?

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 12:02:18 AM »
Ha, the TTX seat is almost a bench seat there. Raising the rider for more tuck...and allows more forward and backward seating for the rider...in a tuck position, with helmet slightly lower than shoulders and shoulders slightly lower than rump, I imagine the aero is similar to a car with a rear spoiler...though the spoiler would be the drivers backside...

G

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:10:19 PM »
I've had a lot of comments regarding my backside being a spoiler. :D

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
anyone going to bite and do this?!?!  :)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
After riding it for a bit, I don't think I will. Initially, the cockpit felt a little cramped and so I thought I might want clip-ons to get a better body position when cornering. After some spirited riding today, I don't think it's necessary. I really don't like riding clip-ons on the street anyhow, mostly due to visibility issues. With standard bars, I sit higher and my helmet's not tucked between my arms. It's so much easier to swivel my head from that position and I feel like shoulders are blocking my peripheral vision.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41:02 AM »
Ha, the TTX seat is almost a bench seat there. Raising the rider for more tuck...and allows more forward and backward seating for the rider...in a tuck position, with helmet slightly lower than shoulders and shoulders slightly lower than rump, I imagine the aero is similar to a car with a rear spoiler...though the spoiler would be the drivers backside...

Yeah, the seat height on the TTX was raised by about 2" over stock with some foam.  I thought it would be awful for short guys like me, but it's actually still pretty good because the bike is so narrow.  I don't think I would do this to my bike, but it would be a benefit to someone with long legs or long arms to get some more room in the cockpit as it effectively lengthens the seating area.