Author Topic: Empulse R review in City Bike  (Read 1708 times)

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empulse R review in City Bike
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:52:21 AM »
I feel like someone handed these editors an Empulse without any information on how to use the transmission.  I don't have a copy on hand, but Richard230 posted some interesting quotes from it over on the emoto forums:

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2729.0

I replied there trying to correct much of their misinformation (dumping the clutch on an electric motorcycle?  Seriously?  Using 3rd in the city?).  Feel free to head over there and put in a couple cents, but I think letters to City Bike pointing out the mistaken assumptions would be better.  Unfortunately, a decent Letter would require reading the full review and they don't publish the current issue anywhere but on paper around here in the Bay Area (that I'm aware of)...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Empulse R review in City Bike
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »
It takes all types of people to make up the world, I guess.  Negative reviews are to be expected from time to time as the opinions about motorcycles are as numerous as the number of riders.

The discussion over on elmoto.net is full of arrogant bloviating, as per usual.  Not going to even link it here.  I used to enjoy posting over there before it became a Brammo-bashing insult-fest.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »
Again I haven't read the review:

But, reading the parts written in the other thread, I wouldn't say it was an overly negative review...more an overly cautious review.

Maybe next month they can ride with Shinyside and get a proper test of the bike. :)

Still, as a fanboy, I'll take Motorcycle of the Year in Playboy and an overly cautious review in this paper vs the opposite....

Gavin

as for elmoto...i wonder how they responded to the Playboy article...i was going to say Playboy spread, but thought better of it....

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:18:18 AM by Gavin »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »
ps...great reply Flar...I am learning so much here about riding the Empulse...I will be a master with my first throttle twist :)

Gavin

There should be a "Proper way to ride an Empulse" thread that Brammo can show to all the review people before they ride one.

And customers too

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 11:26:29 AM »
I don't think anyone posted the playboy news there. Be my guest.

I think elmoto is more of a home for diy builders at this point. Zero owners seem to have adopted electricmotorcycleforum.com as their go to the forum and other diyers collect on endlesssphere.com too.

I'm just glad that this remains the fortress of solitude for Brammo owners.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 12:32:33 AM »
I think elmoto is more of a home for diy builders at this point. Zero owners seem to have adopted electricmotorcycleforum.com as their go to the forum and other diyers collect on endlesssphere.com too.

Agreed.  I really appreciate the opinions and constructive debate that takes place on this forum.  I noticed the attempts to recover the conversation over on the elmoto forum, but I'm afraid that they are too far gone... we must leave them behind to slave in their garages and curse every idea that is not their own.  It was obvious that the better the Empulse turned out to be, the more angry they would become.  So... I'm glad they're pissed.

NutsnVolts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »

Agreed.  I really appreciate the opinions and constructive debate that takes place on this forum.  I noticed the attempts to recover the conversation over on the elmoto forum, but I'm afraid that they are too far gone... we must leave them behind to slave in their garages and curse every idea that is not their own.  It was obvious that the better the Empulse turned out to be, the more angry they would become.  So... I'm glad they're pissed.

I do not really appreciate this post.  No not everyone is a fan of every idea or is civil about it over on El Moto.  I'm sorry you have had a bad experience.  Yes disdain has been focused towards Brammo by many on El Moto.  And yes Brammo has delivered a revolutionary bike that I (4yr+ member of El Moto) would like to own one day.  But what right does that give you to dismiss all of us on El Moto with a single post such as this.  Please do not let one bad person or experience or motorcycle review let you become prejudice of an entire community 

I'm not sure I want to purchase a Brammo bike ever now.  I would speculate that many want more respect than this post from their motorcycle manufacturer.  However the statement one person shouldn't be enough for me to dismiss an entire brand when that brand shares a common passion with me.

I apologize if I have detracted from the original topic of this thread
-Kyle Ginaven

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »
It's tough...I know both Brammo and Brian himself have been treated "poorly" over there.

For a while I said I would never buy a Zero because their lead designer came here under a pseudonym and said some things....but that would be counter productive for me if Zero made the best bike for me...

I appreciate that Brian uses his own name, even if he can be a bit gruff at times...

He is a bit protective of "his" bike...

And welcome to the forum...love your user name

Gavin

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 01:58:33 PM »
...No not everyone is a fan of every idea or is civil about it over on El Moto.  I'm sorry you have had a bad experience.  Yes disdain has been focused towards Brammo by many on El Moto.  And yes Brammo has delivered a revolutionary bike that I (4yr+ member of El Moto) would like to own one day.  But what right does that give you to dismiss all of us on El Moto with a single post such as this.  Please do not let one bad person or experience or motorcycle review let you become prejudice of an entire community 

I'm not sure I want to purchase a Brammo bike ever now.  I would speculate that many want more respect than this post from their motorcycle manufacturer.  ...
I apologize if I have detracted from the original topic of this thread
-Kyle Ginaven

Kyle,

Welcome to the forum.  About the post from Brian, I totally understand his frustration and emphasize with him.  It's hard to fault some one fighting against a negative mob mentality to express a little happiness when he gets to say "I told you so" about a product that he is passionate about. I actually respect the company more for standing by their product passionate against false claims.

Look at how much Elon Musk vented at the NYT false article. Makes me want to see the company succeed even more.  Like I said, make me understand Brian's comment and really makes the response trivial to the amount of bashing received.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you get to enjoy this bike.  I haven't riding a bike since I was a kid and never had a street bike.  This is really my first and it's been a treat. 

Bob

NutsnVolts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

There is probably a lot of the situation with forum members and Brian that I don't know anything about.  I think the link to Elon NYT situation is a good comparison.  So I want to apologize to Brian as he meant nothing personal to me and I hope he doesn't take my comment too personal.  I am also very appreciative to Brian for taking the time and effort to post some inside perspective into Brammo design.  Brian's work has improved the ideas and designs of my builds.  As you stated Brian should be proud of his bike.  I have to admit that the Empulse has been a big motivator for my R6 conversion as a performance metric (upgrading to AC at the moment). 

Just had to defend our El Moto honor a little I guess haha
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:51:45 PM by NutsnVolts »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »
It's cool. Protecting a site you like is honorable.

Glad to have you here...

Now about that conversion...photos? :)

Gavin

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »
Please show your bike.  Despite having a tesla roadster and the brammo I have no idea about building and the tech about electric bikes!  Please share!

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
Double post

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
Welcome, Kyle. I appreciate your honest expression of your feelings and considering the viewpoint of those who feel differently. The strident tone in political expression is all too much with us these days. I can be "for" something without be an "adversary."

I took exception to all the folks over on elmoto opining about the transmission without ever riding one. Much theory, much defending a position, much name calling. (I got called a FanBoy which I took as a compliment since I'm pushing 70!).

As I posted over there today: A mentor once told me: "Men want to be always right. Right. Right. Dead right." Me, I'd rather go for a nice ride, which I just completed on my Empulse. Fun bike and I just wish the lads over at City Bike had taken just a bit more time to educate themselves.

Would love to see your conversion. If you're in the Bay Area, maybe we'll swap for a ride when you're done?

Bill
2013 Empulse
2010 TMax (auto transmission!)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:12:30 PM by Shinysideup »

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 05:59:54 PM »
Does anyone here need to sit on the "Group W" bench.   ;)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.