Author Topic: Magnesium wheels  (Read 1375 times)

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Magnesium wheels
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »
anyone with any experience or feedback with forged mag wheels?

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Magnesium wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:32:28 AM »
I've known some guys that have run them on their race bikes. They're trick light, so they really drop your unsprung weight and drop a great deal of rotational mass. However, they're really fragile and impossible to straighten. So only the richest guys would run them on the track, since one offroading excursion could be the end of them. As for running them on the street...I would never. The Empulse is kind of heavy...I'd hate to hit a pothole with mag wheels on the Empulse.

Funny story: When I was bringing the Empulse back from Tampa, I was cruising up I-95 when I hit the mother of all potholes my front wheel going 80 mph. My 3/4 pickup got sideways so badly, that the rear tire never went through the pothole. Then a quarter of a mile down the road, I saw someone pulled over examining his flat low profile tire on his bent wheel.

Ain

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:53:55 PM »
Or...if you really want to go crazy and shave weight...  BST Carbon Fiber wheels: http://www.blackstonetek.com

Just think of the handling and potential range improvements!  Who's going nuts and installing the first set?   :P
2013 Empulse R  (Delivered 12/7/12)
2009 BMW K1300S
2002 MV Agusta F4 Senna

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:39:16 AM »
I saw those BST before.  BALLER!