Author Topic: Chain hitting swing arm  (Read 3652 times)

Ain

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Chain hitting swing arm
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:20:13 AM »
I was doing a little cleaning and my rag snagged on the lower part of the swing arm pivot...

Looks like the chain on the Empulse rubs on the swing arm pivot since the front sprocket size makes for a tight fit.  It cuts into the surface finish and runs it down to the metal underneath.

I installed an adhesive backed Teflon pad to use as a chain guard, and after one ride it was clearly being rubbed on.

Going up one tooth on the front or rear sprocket (rear is probably safer - it's tight fit in the front) might solve the problem.

I e-mailed the guys at Brammo since they could come up with a chain guard/protector, but in the meantime the Teflon pad is preventing more damage to the swing arm.

Anyone else notice this on their bike?

2013 Empulse R  (Delivered 12/7/12)
2009 BMW K1300S
2002 MV Agusta F4 Senna

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Chain hitting swing arm
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I've got a little rubbing on mine, but not as much as yours. I just hit 600 miles and I adjusted my chain as part of that break-in maintenance. I was about about 5 mm out. I'm guessing the clearance on the swingarm would be fine if the chain is always within proper adjustment, but that's asking a lot even with a proper o-ring chain.

I'm going to stick a teflon pad on mine too, but I'm wondering if I should wait for a proper part from Brammo. It'll be a pain to try to get that teflon pad off.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
My grooves are identical to Ain's. I've never seen them before, because 1) they were covered with some muck and 2) I'm not in the habit of groveling, even before the Empulse. ;)

I have tried to keep on top of the chain adjustment; it was a bit beyond the spec on only one occasion. The buildup of greasy muck on the grooves tells me it's not rubbing recently.

A Teflon sticker (where did you get it?) seems a very temporary fix, though better than the swing arm pivot being breached.

I like the idea of a larger rear sprocket. I wonder how much bigger we'd have to go to end the rubbing? Making all the gears a bit "lower" seems to be of some use, since I rarely hit 6th gear, and almost no motorcyclist (except Richard230) would be uninterested in more grunt off the line.

Ain

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:21:06 AM »
A Teflon sticker (where did you get it?) seems a very temporary fix, though better than the swing arm pivot being breached.

I ordered the Teflon pads from Amazon.  It really only needs to be 1"x1", but I cut a 2"x1" in half.  Here's a link to the same thing, but ordering 1"x1" ones might be a little cheaper if you can find them:

http://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Laminated-Conformable-Adhesive/dp/B004V41HJE

2009 BMW K1300S
2002 MV Agusta F4 Senna

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
Mine has it, just a little bit. I'll probably clean it and put some plastic/teflon over it. Need to check my adjustment + oil the chain, but I just got it from Brammo, so it should be within spec.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:04:03 AM »
I was eyeballing things this evening: looks like the chain is vertically centered between the swing arm pivot housing and the shifter shaft. Increasing the sprocket size might force the chain slap down toward the shifter shaft, but at least that would be much easier to replace if worn. I guesstimate increasing the sprocket radius about 1/2" might help.

Any ideas on  where to find replacement rear sprockets? My new digital torque wrench is itchy!

Ain

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 01:07:12 AM »
Any ideas on  where to find replacement rear sprockets? My new digital torque wrench is itchy!

I'm sure guys like Renthal will have one that will fit...  We'll have to ask Brammo if their wheel/sprocket/rotor setup is the same with any other common bikes since the Empulse is too new to show up in anyone's parts lists yet:

http://www.renthalroad.com/File/products_rearchainwheels.aspx

Renthal has various ones that fit "Marchesini Race Wheels", so I'm curious if the bolt patterns are the same for the street wheels on the Empulse?

It would be fun to get a slightly larger sprocket just to play with some gearing too!  Wheelies anyone!?!?   :P
2009 BMW K1300S
2002 MV Agusta F4 Senna

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:04:49 AM »
Renthal has various ones that fit "Marchesini Race Wheels", so I'm curious if the bolt patterns are the same for the street wheels on the Empulse?
It would be fun to get a slightly larger sprocket just to play with some gearing too!  Wheelies anyone!?!?   :P

I'll try to remember to get the production bolt pattern for you today.  The Marchesini race pattern is usually 5 on 100mm.  I'm pretty sure this will fit as we've used production sprockets for the TTX running race wheels. Again - I'll double check.   

Also... I think service is going to come up with another (IMO - really good) option to address this issue.  I'll let Adam chime in when he's ready.   

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Chain hitting swing arm
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »

Also... I think service is going to come up with another (IMO - really good) option to address this issue.  I'll let Adam chime in when he's ready.

That's great to hear!

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »
Yes - the production wheels accept a 5 x 100mm bolt pattern, which is the same as the "Marchesini race" pattern. 

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 10:52:53 PM »
I had a novel idea, waiting on Adam to post: I looked at my sprocket and it says it's made by Rebel Gears right here in the U.S.of A. (Tennessee, to be precise.) They might know what they supplied... but I'll hold off contacting them until I see what Adam's "really good" option is!

Ain

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 04:32:36 PM »
Yes - the production wheels accept a 5 x 100mm bolt pattern, which is the same as the "Marchesini race" pattern.

Thanks Brian!  Even if there's a factory fix its, good to know if playing with gearing too.
2009 BMW K1300S
2002 MV Agusta F4 Senna

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
I got a call from my Brammo dealer that a chain tension device is coming from Brammo. When I went in for the firmware update last Wednesday, I mentioned the chain possibly hitting the frame (from what i read here, thanks). They checked and did see some slight scraping. The service rep. said he would take a picture of it and call Brammo. I told him I thought they knew about it, but said it was okay.
So within the next week, the device will come in and they will call me to schedule an install. Nice to only live 4 miles away and work 2 miles away from the dealer. I will take pictures of the part(s) before and after installation to post here.

David
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »
WAY easy to install yourself!