Author Topic: BrammoBrian's Mods.  (Read 5433 times)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
BrammoBrian's Mods.
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:11:20 PM »
I’ve been an Empulse R owner for about 1 week now and for those that know me, that’s plenty of time to start modifying my bike to my personal tastes! It helps that I’ve had plenty of time to plan what my first changes would be. All of the modifications shown here are pretty straight-forward aftermarket replacement parts that anyone could accomplish. Most of the parts were ordered through Parts Unlimited, and chances are that your dealer has an account with them already. I’ve provided the Parts Unlimited part number in the event anyone wants to duplicate the mod for themselves.

First up – Brake and Clutch Levers. The OE Empulse levers are non-adjustable and I’ve got small hands (no jokes please), so upgrading the levers was a must so I can feel confident that I can respond quickly and smoothly when I need to brake hard. There are tons of options out there, but my default choice is to go with what I know, and a brand that makes good stuff is CRG. These are the break-away “Roll-A-Click” levers.

Estimated install time: 5-10 minutes
Compatiblity: Any aftermarket lever set designed for a ’08-’10 Ducati Monster 696 should fit right up with no problem.
PNs: 0613-0355 (clutch), 0614-0303 (brake)

Tailbag. While not my favorite option for aesthetics, the truth is that sometimes you need to store stuff on the bike and this is a pretty easy way to do it. I typically carry some extra gloves (winter gloves) and rain gear in case things get nasty. Brammo worked with Saddlemen on the side bags for the Enertia, so I know they make good stuff. I was really impressed with the fit and even though this is a universal accessory, it looks almost purpose made for the Empulse.

Estimated install time: 10-15 minutes to get all the strapping figured out.
PN: 3516-0108 / TS1450R (standard 9” tunnel)

LED Turnsignals – This one is a bit more style than substance. I like the look of a smaller turnsignal and the Rizoma Zero 11s are really bright, which makes me feel more confident that a car driver can see when I’m about to turn. With the Zero11s, you can also see from the cockpit when they’re on, so you’re less likely to leave them on inadvertently. These aren’t cheap, but it’s a very easy install and nice cosmetic upgrade.

Estimated install time: 15-20 minutes.
PN: Rizoma Zero 11 / SKU: FR025 / purchased from www.motowheels.com

Other accessories:

CRG Hindsight Lane-Splitter bar-end mirror with Rhino-Moto bar-end mount.

Rizoma aluminum handlebar kit.

Final Result…

Stay tuned – More to come!

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Re: BrammoBrian's Mods.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
I am planning on the tail tidy/ fender eliminator mod as well, but I'm waiting on another set of the Rizoma Zero 11 turnsignals before I do that one. 

I'm also going to start playing with some reflective rim tape as I love the improved visibility to other drivers and the fact you can make some cool color accents.  I can probably pick up a few mph on the top end with racing stripes alone!  8)

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:18:41 PM »
awesome info and pics!

I also have small hands (that is opposite is size from other body parts ;D) and was looking at those levers but never knew what to order!

your bike is looking great!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »
LED Turnsignals – This one is a bit more style than substance. I like the look of a smaller turnsignal and the Rizoma Zero 11s are really bright, which makes me feel more confident that a car driver can see when I’m about to turn. With the Zero11s, you can also see from the cockpit when they’re on, so you’re less likely to leave them on inadvertently. These aren’t cheap, but it’s a very easy install and nice cosmetic upgrade.

I'm glad you have good taste and chose the same ones I did. ;)  Actually, I think they have lots of substance (as well as Italian style): not only can I see them from the cockpit, other drivers, especially those in my blind spot, can see them. Heck, if you factor that in with their brighter throw, you just HAVE to buy these, for they're clearly a safety item!

I've always drooled after and avoided Rizoma kit because of their price, but I thought these were fairly decently priced.

Before I spring for the tail bag, can you give us an update on the Givi side case mounts' ETA? My backpack seems to be getting ever heavier!

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »
gahhh!  you guys are making me jones for the Rizoma's....

what's the part number for the rears?

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
Grrrrr, dang you Brian...making me spend my money...double grrrrr

So the turn signals...guess I'll order 2...or 4 if front and back are the same parts (which I assume they are)...

So...bar end mirrors, tail tidy and turn signals will be my first mods (well there is one other mod done first, but that is a surprise)...then maybe the seat raise will be after that...

that should cover it for a while since I don't have tiny hands... :)

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
Brain...did you see the Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals? they come in Red...

I trying to decide on Zero vs Avio...and silver vs black (i will be getting the white Empulse R)

or silver in front and black in the back...but that might be too strange...

Gavin

ps...the red looks sharp on a red bike...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:00:31 PM by Gavin »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
ok...screw subtle...getting 4 GOLD Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals...I figure the gold will go well with the shocks up front and will be hella blingy off the back.

g

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »
Brain...did you see the Rizoma Avio 21 turn signals? they come in Red...

First of all - who is Brain?   ;)

I agonized over all the Rizoma style indicators and determined I like the Zero11s best, although there are others that are really nice, including these.  The Rizoma stuff is definitely pricey, but it feels worth it when you get the parts and really seems to fit with a high-tech, unique vehicle like the Empulse.  I think they can look a bit too "tech" for your typical gas bike... i.e. Ducati Monster, Triumph Bonneville, etc...

I'm also not a big fan of red anodized as it's usually more "pink-ish" and fades to even more pink after some time in the sun.  I like the CRG levers, but wish they came with an option to replace the adjustment lever with a black or bare aluminum piece. 

The part number for the turnsignals is the same front or rear.  I just had an extra set of 2 from a previous project - my BMW.  I replaced the rears, but opted to stick with some flush mount indicators on the front fairing, so I had 2 left over.  My order for the rear should be in this week though. 

Regarding the rear bag - for the cost, I would definitely recommend it.  It has nowhere near the storage capacity of the side bags, but it's also nowhere near as bulky or expensive. Suggested retail through Parts Unlimited for the Saddlemen tail bag is $124.95.  I'm not sure on the schedule for the GIVI side bags as this project is being handled by the Sales group (thunk! thunk! - that's the sound of me throwing Adrian under the bus).   

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 03:04:57 PM »
We all know who "Brain" is...I think the general comments were along the line of "scary smart" when talking about a certain somebody.

But yes, I often type Brain for Brian...not sure if it's dyslexia or stupidity...well actually I do know, but don't like to admit it to myself that I just not smrt...

The Zero 11's are nice as they will shine more to the side...but to me the Avio is just Italian sexy...

I hope the gold doesn't fade to a yellow piss color. Our Sun is hella strong here...but my bikes are garage kept at home and work...so only the weekend rides in the mountains will she be sitting in the Sun for long periods...

Gavin

PJsParts had them in stock...so I will likely have some photos to share next week. There goes another 200 bucks to replace perfectly good turn signals...

Modding is a sickness.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:11:54 PM by Gavin »

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »
First of all - who is Brain?   ;)

I don't think you're thinking what I'm thinking Brain...

Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »
I hope the gold doesn't fade to a yellow piss color. Our Sun is hella strong here...but my bikes are garage kept at home and work...so only the weekend rides in the mountains will she be sitting in the Sun for long periods...

Well, Gavin, you're just gonna hafta wrap the anodized bits with black vinyl electrical tape for daily use and take the tape off for weekend rides around Santa Fe where hella bling counts the most.

Yes, farkles = sickness. If there's a 12-step program for it, don't tell me!

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 11:28:35 PM »
...I'm not sure on the schedule for the GIVI side bags as this project is being handled by the Sales group (thunk! thunk! - that's the sound of me throwing Adrian under the bus).

def through Adrian under the bus!!!  LOL I'm still waiting to hear back from him about the torque specs for the titanium bolts and other items!

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 06:28:20 AM »
Maybe we need a separate thread for throwing Adrian under the bus. ::)
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
A separate thread? I'm thinking that would need it's own forum :)

Gavin