Author Topic: Mirrors too narrow, or am I too wide?  (Read 6019 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mirrors too narrow, or am I too wide?
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »
Having read some comments by other Enertia owners, I anticipated that this would be an issue.  Looking into my mirrors, in order to see past the massiveness of my body to see what's behind me, I have to lean to the side. 

I know that Brian and Phantom have installed the CRG Bar end mirrors.

Brian and Phantom:  Did you remove the stock mirrors?  Do you have the CRG mirror just on the left side, or both?

The CRG is pretty pricey - $70 bucks or so for one.  Anyone got a recommendation for a good source for accessories like this?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

ALephart

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • smart car forum
Re: Mirrors too narrow, or am I too wide?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
They are to narrow, or at least the mounting for them is. You can move one mirror to the other side of the controls but not the other. As for CRG sources:

LockhartPhillipsUSA.com
58cycle.com
Indysuperbike.com
cyclemall.net

All the best,
Aaron Lephart

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »

I have kept my stock mirrors on as they seem to help in some situations. I used trial and error to bend the mirror enough so I can partially see behind me in real distance without leaning. I do still see some of my arms in the mirrors, but I think that is to be expected. I have one bar end mirror that I have on the left side. I did not pay less than $70 for it. I think I bought it at www.motorcyclesuperstore.com.

It may be pricey, but I can't ride without it now. I almost use it exclusively. I can easily see everything behind me with the bar end mirror.

The installation was easy and I highly recommend getting at least one.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:58:04 AM »
I just ordered my CRG Lane Splitter... just one, but the more I read, the more I liked it.  Sounds like it's the best.  Dang... this motorcycle stuff can be expensive.  Good thing I got the bike for free.  ;D

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 12:09:14 PM »
Nice, I am certain that you will see it as a very useful upgrade.

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »
I've always been more worried about breaking off a bar-end mirror when I'm lane splitting. The stock mirrors already get enough close calls.

ALephart

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • smart car forum
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »
If you lane split on a Enertia (practice calling it that when new models are announced) you are more brave then I am! More then once I have been left at the stoplight as cars behind me pass me off the line. No more!

All the best,
Aaron Lephart

Enertia122

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 09:34:42 PM »
I just purchased one crg bar-end mirror last night online.  Hope it comes soon. I probably paid too much ($89.00), but the stock mirrors are really bugging me. 

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
I've always been more worried about breaking off a bar-end mirror when I'm lane splitting.

I keep the mirror loose and there is a hinge on it that will fold the mirror to avoid damage to it in either direction which might help in most situations. I need to slightly adjust the mirror almost every ride, but it is worth it to me to see completely behind me.

Lane splitting is illegal in my state. I have read the pros and cons and it seems to be an issue with many different opinions.

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »
If you lane split on a Enertia (practice calling it that when new models are announced) you are more brave then I am! More then once I have been left at the stoplight as cars behind me pass me off the line. No more!

There's enough traffic in downtown San Francisco where that isn't really a problem. I'm actually even more comfortable splitting on my Enertia than with any of my previous bikes since it's so light and narrow. Also without the noise fewer drivers even notice me coming, which is a good thing.

I also am rarely beat off the line by a car unless I'm limiting my power draw for efficiency (i.e. trying to keep it under 2kW makes for pretty anemic starts). The Enertia may not have a lot of horsepower but it is only a tenth of the weight of the car beside me.

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »
I keep the mirror loose and there is a hinge on it that will fold the mirror to avoid damage to it in either direction which might help in most situations. I need to slightly adjust the mirror almost every ride, but it is worth it to me to see completely behind me.

Cool, might be worth considering, especially if my stock mirror ever gets broken while parked (over the years I've had 3 trashed due to that).

Lane splitting is illegal in my state. I have read the pros and cons and it seems to be an issue with many different opinions.

I'd probably still split even if it were illegal. Bumper to bumper traffic (even to gridlock levels) can influence your opinions a lot.

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 06:11:17 PM »
I got the two. Such a difference of seeing what is around you.
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

vegasracer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 11:21:48 PM »
I have two CRGs on my Enertia #47, and like 9 of 30, I couldn't believe the difference they made as I could see most of what was around and behind me.

Enertia122

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 07:35:06 PM »
I've had mine on for over a week and it is so much better than stock.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 02:43:12 PM »
Bumping this topic because:
1. I never updated it after I got and installed my mirror. and
2. I just ordered my second* one for the right hand side.

I've really come to depend on the left-hand mirror and decided it was time for one on the right.  One caveat: if you install one on the right-hand side, you will need to order the optional internal mounting hardware.  This is because there is no room outboard of the the throttle grip on which to mount the bracket, and the throttle, obviously, needs to be able to move freely.  I was all excited last night when I saw that the mirror came in the mail.  [sad trombone] but I realized it wouldn't fit [/sad trombone]. 

I updated the information about the mirror modification on the Wiki.  You knew about the wiki, didn't you?

If 9of30 checked in, I'd like to ask him why he decided to mount his mirrors below the bar.  Mine are mounted above the bar.

See the CRG website for an article about the company written by Mark Gardiner for the now-defunct RoadRacerX magazine.  Seriously folks, this is the mirror to buy.  Even the box it comes in is impressive.

*It's actually my 3rd.  The 1st one broke in the incident where my bike fell off the hitch rack. :(