Author Topic: Refuel Races  (Read 2231 times)

emotodude

• View Profile
Refuel Races
« on: June 06, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »
Any Brammo owners gonna make it? They have been conspicuously absent in the past. I am very curious how they will stack up against the zero bikes, of which I'm sure there will be many present.

http://www.refuelraces.com/start.php

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Refuel Races
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »
I believe there were a couple of Zero owners there last year, not just employees. I'd love to see some Brammo owners out on track too; Refuel is super-inexpensive and I'd jump at a chance to ride on Laguna Seca.

It helps that Zero's HQ is about 50 miles away from the track. Brammo has shown up the last couple of years to test the Empulse RR, expect to see the RR and the TTX there this year.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »
I definitely plan on showing up to the event, but the idea of riding in it makes me slightly gun-shy just because of the insurance aspect.  I have State Farm, who apparently used to cover trackdays but no longer does?

Anybody here have insurance that specifically covers trackdays?

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:25:37 PM »
Brammo owners were absent because all they had were a few year old Enertias, and even then not many of them out there I don't believe.  Finally the Empulse's are in people's hands. 

Brian sent in the REFUEL paperwork a little while ago and Steve will be there with the RR, but Shelina and the TTX were never mentioned.  I did try to egg Brain into bringing his personal Empulse and running it, but I suspect he'll be busy enough with running the team.  If Brammo owners want Brammo to be rep'd, then they have to show up.  Track day insurance is a roadblock for sure.  But it is the cheapest track day you'll ever pay for.  Seems like it's less than $50 if I read it right.  Could be though.

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 03:28:03 PM »
Update: I am signed up, have purchased some fantastically heinous used leathers, and will be at Refuel!

I've decided that even if I do crash the bike, haha there's not much of a better place to do it than with the full Brammo team standing nearby.  Also judging from the TTX at Thunderhill I don't think I can do all that much damage to the thing anyway.

Anybody else attending/riding?

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 05:16:34 PM »
Keep an eye out for my old Aprila RS50, which is now powered by a 2013 Zero motor.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 01:02:35 AM »
Brammo showed up in full force...

http://www.electricracenews.com/2013/06/refuel-2013-total-blast-lots-of-model.html

With Eric on the RR having the fastest time overall, and Shelina on the TTX having the fastest time in the Production class

G

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 09:34:02 AM »
Here are a couple of photos of my former Aprilia RS50 enjoying a second life at the REFUEL event.  This shows what you can do with a cute IC bike when the engine blows up.  I understand that the bike is making 28 hp on a dyno at the rear wheel (stock was about 6.5) and it weighs about the same as it did stock at 280 pounds.  The new owner says it ran well, but the power and range were limited by the number of batteries that could be stuffed under that nice bodywork. Henry sure did a nice job hiding the fact that it is now an EV.   :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »
1:38.5 is quite good for the Empulse RR; as well as being the fastest EV for 2013 Refuel, it's also nearly 2 seconds faster than the previous EV motorcycle record, also set by Brammo for 2012 Refuel. I'm curious what this will translate at the eRoadRacing nee TTXGP race.

Laguna Seca past races:

2012 TTXGP, Eric Bostrom / Brammo 1:37.1 (QP), Steve Atlas / Brammo 1:35.6 (Race)
2012 Refuel, Steve Atlas / Brammo 1:40.3 (Sport Electric TT)

2012 TTXGP, Michael Barnes / Lightning 1:33.8 (QP), 1:35.3 (Race)
2011 TTXGP, Steve Rapp / Mission Motors 1:31.7 (QP), 1:33 (Race)
2011 Refuel, Steve Rapp / Mission Motors 1:43.7 (Sport Electric TT)

Also I'm excited to hear about Brammo and Zero production bikes on the race track at the same time!

Empulse TTX with Shelina onboard very nearly as fast as a 400+ hp Model S around a track. Very nice.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »
Speaking of production bikes racing..

Ian Lebov pulled a 1:58.4 on a 2013 Zero DS w/ Zero S wheels and tires. He hopped on the Electric Motorcycle Forum to post a bunch of videos.. including one showing a sneak peek at what might be a 2014 Zero powertrain as well as Shelina Moreda on the TTX.

Quoth he:
Those Brammos were easy to pass  ;)

I wish Refuel would hurry up and post results. Obviously the rider has a great influence on laptimes.. and Shelina Moreda on the TTX is clearly much faster than Kenyon Kluge on what I'm calling a preview of the production 2014 Zero. But I'd like to see the production bikes mixing it up too..

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
Here is an article by Plug In Cars about the event. Motorcycles are mentioned:

http://www.plugincars.com/electric-vehicle-stereotypes-smoked-refuel-2013-race-laguna-seca-raceway-127646.html

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 02:14:18 AM »
Update: I did not, in fact, crash!

I'll post more details later, but I just got this video uploaded.  Prepare to be riveted and amazed by my assuredly terrible line decisions!

This was a practice session, and as you'll see we only got about 4 laps each time.  I was super cautious on the first lap due to being scared of cold slicks.  I was very slow, but I was not the slowest!  My first laps out were in the 2:20s, and by the end of the day I managed a 2:12.

In any case, the entire event was a spectacular experience.  Lots of prototype electrics I hadn't seen before, including a Mini and the Fiat 500e.  Some incredible conversions, probably the prettiest of which was a Karmann Ghia, and the fastest of which was an M3 (the link to the news page has a picture).  There were Model S everywhere; the place was just littered with them.  One interesting thing I learned was that the Tesla Roadster can basically only do about 3 laps max before succumbing to heat.

The bike class was a little exciting . . . lots of homemade contraptions (one of which literally spilled water overflow onto its own rear tire BY DESIGN).  Toward the end of the video, at the start of the post-checkered-flag cooldown lap, you can see one of the more hilarious entrants.  Basically a giant longboard scooter with some batteries stuck to it.  Two Zero riders also somehow managed to T-bone eachother in a corner but both were thankfully fine. 

For the most part all the riders were super friendly and excited just to be in a space with other electric bikes.  The only other e-bike I've ever seen parked in my garage in downtown SF (which I left a note on to say hi) ended up being a girl who worked at Zero who recognized my bike.  Richard, I met your RS50 rider and he was doing quite well.  There was also a dude riding a crazy custom converted Honda something who took my bike for a brief spin and came back sporting a genuine Empulse Grin™.

Also FYI there's nothing in the world quite like doing laps and having Shelina and Eric giving you tips and pointers afterward.  And everybody on the Brammo team were insanely helpful with both technical and riding assistance.  I was incredibly nervous starting out, but very quickly found myself having a ball and wishing the sessions were longer.  That marks my second time on a track ever, and I think I may well end up doing it more.

Everybody here should do it next year.  Everybody!

Also if you don't mind looking at watermarks, there are a crapload of pictures here (in the sections that say Refuel)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »
"Also FYI there's nothing in the world quite like doing laps and having Shelina and Eric giving you tips and pointers afterward.  And everybody on the Brammo team were insanely helpful with both technical and riding assistance.  I was incredibly nervous starting out, but very quickly found myself having a ball and wishing the sessions were longer.  That marks my second time on a track ever, and I think I may well end up doing it more."

Ok, I just might have to do ReFuel next year. I will admit that I am 100% not a racer. My knee will never get close to the ground. But I would love to ride the track and have some pointers given to me.

The only downside would be being passed by everybody and hearing about how slow the Empulse is :(

Maybe I will have to practice a bit before going.

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
Laguna Seca is such a fun track. I'd love to ride it some day.. very jealous that you got to do it on your Empulse.

Results are up now:
http://www.refuelraces.com/sportelectrictt2013.php

There's a pretty even distribution between Brammo and Zero bikes. Both companies are selling bikes now that are faster than the average rider .. so there's not really data to say X is faster than Y. But that's not to say that some ribbing did not occur : )

If I went I'd be coming in at the tail of the pack for sure. Important thing is to improve yourself .. and shaving 8 seconds off your timing is great work.

emotodude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 07:47:33 PM »
"TTX having the fastest time in the Production class"

I have to say, calling the TTX a production bike seems like a bit of stretch. I mean, Lightning will sell you one of their bikes, does that make it production? Kind of a weasley move in my opinion.

If you discount the TTX as a production bike, which I do, that means the Zero S, DS and FX claimed the top 3 podium spots, and all are faster than than the Empulse around Laguna Seca regardless. I think that's gonna change some perceptions.

That said, E-Bos doing a 1:38.5 is pretty astounding!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:00:18 PM by emotodude »