Author Topic: Tail Untidy: WARNING!  (Read 1436 times)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Tail Untidy: WARNING!
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:20:22 PM »
So there I was, motoring down US 101 S, just before the I380 to I280 split, when a fellow rider on a sport bike pulled up alongside me and, at some peril to himself in heavy high-speed traffic, turned around and reached back to point frantically at his tail light. Twice, because I'm a slow learner. Then he shrugged his shoulders and rocketed away.

Are my blinkers on? Nope.
Is my brake light out? No: his gesturing was much too urgent for that.

Then I saw it in my right mirror: my tail light was pointing 90 degrees to the left and was sitting just above my rear tire. A quick glance back confirmed: the whole rear assembly from the seat back to the license plate was, to quote Bob Dylan, blowin' in the wind.

I threw on my right blinker and gingerly made my way across multiple lanes of traffic to the right shoulder. Sure enough, only the left portion of the sheet metal tapered box section was attached to the bike, but barely. Three other attachment points were deformed and clearly detached. The rear reflector support bracket was bent almost into a fold and the rear reflector showed why: it was covered in burned-on tire material, explaining the fresh clean stripe on the right edge of my rear tire.

Luckily, I had three Rok-Straps in my backpack and managed to jerry-rig the tail assembly back onto to the bike, almost in perfect alignment (I DO like a brake light showing rearward!) and had enough battery remaining to make it back to San Francisco to Scuderia West who cannibalized one of their showroom floor Empulse's to put me on more solid footing than the Rok-Straps provided.

The scary thing is that if that last attachment point had failed, which it was obviously close to doing, the only thing connecting the tail assembly to the bike would have been the electrical connection cord, which would have probably been long enough to allow the whole part to entangle in the rear wheel spokes: at 70 mph things could have ended badly.

I'm no engineer, though I do have a “feel” for mechanical design, informed by working as a machinist for 7 years. IMHO, this assembly is too heavy to be supported by 4 sheet metal attachment points.

Compounding the problem: the two forward bolts are separated from the two rearward ones by a couple of inches only, not much of a moment arm to support a 15” long assembly which is constantly subject to vertical impact forces from the stiff rear shock and potholed streets. At any event, the design has now been field tested (5217 miles) to be no match for metal fatigue.

Of course I have no idea how Brammo will remedy this. I would be looking at fabricating some sort of piece that would bolt on to all 4 attachment points and extend backward down the center of the box tail assembly, with a vertical ridge down the center (a small angle iron?) to add vertical rigidity in order to splint the whole thing from too much movement, leading to fatigue/failure/disaster.

Call me lucky. And inspect your tail light/license plate support arm: no wiggles!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:38:12 PM by Shinysideup »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Tail Untidy
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:34:40 PM »
Wow...glad you did have the whole part fall...

This is the original bracket? Perhaps the "fix" is the smaller tail tidy option.

Off to check my bike before my ride to Santa Fe in the AM

G

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Yep, the original bracket. I thought about the tail tidy as a fix, but one of the main reasons I chose the Empulse was the possibility of hard side cases. Can't run the cases with a tail tidy.

I lube the chain and check my tires once a week. I'm including "wiggling the tail section" in that routine.

Have a great ride. Will you need to charge for the 60 miles? What speed on I-25 or will you take 313 and other back roads?

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tail Untidy
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »
Yep, the original bracket. I thought about the tail tidy as a fix, but one of the main reasons I chose the Empulse was the possibility of hard side cases. Can't run the cases with a tail tidy.

I lube the chain and check my tires once a week. I'm including "wiggling the tail section" in that routine.

Have a great ride. Will you need to charge for the 60 miles? What speed on I-25 or will you take 313 and other back roads?
Hey shiny,

I have my original tail since I went the tidy route.  Your welcome to my original tail if you want it.

Bob

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 04:21:11 PM »
That's a very generous offer, Bob, but Scuderia West replaced the mangled metal with one off a new bike, under the warranty. So you might as well as hang on to it for another rider, if a similar failure occurs and they are far from their dealer.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:12:12 PM by Shinysideup »

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Tail Untidy: WARNING!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »
Following up on this thread.

A Safety Recall Notice (NHSTA Recall Number 13V-262) was posted July 17 2013 to replace the tail section. Not sure it the recall was as a direct response to the issue reported here, or due to multiple complaints of this happening (yes it's true, not all Empulse riders are on this forum!)

Looks like Brammo have this issue covered.

Here's a link to more information.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »
I got my warranty tail replacement done yesterday.

Good news:

MUCH sturdier design. This one looks the business.

Replacement is shorter which, to my eye, looks better.

Ne shorter tail won't interfere with side cases.

Bad news:

My original tail failed and had been replaced with one off a demo bike by my dealer. THAT replacement was cracked on one side already. Two failures aren't a fluke.

This means YOU need to get your warranty replacement ASAP to remedy this defect that has the potential to maim or kill the rider. Just do it!

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 06:57:19 PM »
Thanks for the update. I was thinking of forgoing the replacement and just paying for the super short kit. Well, looks like the short kit is unavailable, but Adam said that indeed the replacement tail is shorter and looks really nice. So I'm going to get mine done someday soon. Although I probably won't need it for a while since my riding around here is way smoother than the warfare you go through everyday. NC was known as the "Good Road State" for many years afterall. :)

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 11:40:08 PM »
implovator,

did they say why the tail tidy (short kit) was no longer available?  Wonder if I have to worry about mine.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 12:02:27 AM »
Anyone have pics of the new one?

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
did they say why the tail tidy (short kit) was no longer available?  Wonder if I have to worry about mine.

Nah, but I didn't ask either.

I got my new tail today. It looks great from above, but I don't like the side profile as much. I do like the shorter length, so that's a big plus. I like the original tail tidy the most, but I'm not motivated enough to change it.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Tail Untidy: WARNING!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 07:51:44 PM »
Ty! And thanks for the pics!