Author Topic: Not Liking the Sport Mode?  (Read 2175 times)

shocker

• Ride Softly and Carry a Big Wattage
  • Enciter
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Not Liking the Sport Mode?
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
Just did the first oil change yesterday, so I thought I will try the sport mode this morning.  I didn't like how it flips between regen and power modes abruptly for street riding, so I switched it back to the normal mode after 15 miles of riding.

From all the praise I've heard about the sport mode here, am I the only one who does not like its feel for street riding?

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Not Liking the Sport Mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:23:18 PM »
I like the regen in Sport mode.  I think I would be forced to use the brakes more when stopping if there was less force.  I think a slight improvement would be having the amount of regen force start lower and ramp up as you slow down so that there is a more constant rate of slowing.  This is mostly an issue once I hit 1st gear as I usually compensate by shifting down.  In 1st it starts slowing rapidly, but the brake force peters out a bit at 20 or so.  My Prius ramps up the regen at slow speeds above 7 mph.

Edit - Note that I weigh around 200 wet, so perhaps the force works better for me.  (The force is strong with this one)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 02:25:53 PM by skuzzle »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »
When I first started using Sport mode, I too didn't like the abruptness between throttle on &  off. Too much clunk. Too much head bobbing.

As I put more miles on, I came to realize that the machine rewards smoothness and throttle control is an area where subtlety will really pay off in the form of a much more pleasant experience.

Try oozing the grip downward from acceleration, and you will experience a neutral zone where the motor is showing no power being used or generated, and then you can slowly enter the band of regeneration and control how much or how little you like in a given situation, much like the finesse you have learned when applying brakes.

I ride in Sport mode most of the time, except when I am either a) hypermiling for range or b) just in a very mellow mood and want to take everything on my ride very easy. Otherwise, I'm pretty much in streetfighter mode much of the time in San Francisco traffic and love the aggressive regen helping me brake. But easing into it with a modulated throttle (except in emergencies) does make for a more pleasant ride.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:42:38 PM by Shinysideup »

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:20:02 PM »
Just did the first oil change yesterday, so I thought I will try the sport mode this morning.  I didn't like how it flips between regen and power modes abruptly for street riding, so I switched it back to the normal mode after 15 miles of riding.

From all the praise I've heard about the sport mode here, am I the only one who does not like its feel for street riding?

I must admit that I leave the bike in Normal mode for daily riding duties.  I'm not usually battling with traffic or running a stoplight to stoplight drag race with traffic, though.  I'll even run up the mountain in Normal and just switch to Sport on the way down to get the added regen to help slow me down.  Besides... if the sport bike riders can't keep up with me in Normal, what chance would they have in Sport?  8)

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:53:01 PM »
I've never tried to switch while running the bike..... can we do that?

I like sport on the twisties and on the highway in heavy traffic, it allows me to slow down easily without braking much (gotta remember to tap the brakes though.... people can't see that I'm "braking") as well as accelerate quickly if needed. I use Normal on the side streets where I want to coast a little more and don't need the aggressive acceleration.

All in all I'd say 50/50 for me.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:56 PM »
I find sport more fun...but in city use the regen is so strong I rarely have to brake. It worries me a bit that the cars behind me might not know I'm slowing so fast without brake lights to warn them.
That said, I have been riding almost exclusively in sport lately.
I also almost always ride like a twist and go in the city. I set the bike in 1st or 2nd gear and never shift. I save that for the highway and twisties. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

I did my 3000 mile oil change a while ago.
Thanks brammoforum for the great walk through on your wiki...I don't usually do that type of work on my rides (I prefer to pay my mechanic friends to do it), but it was pretty easy and fun.

G

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »
I've never tried to switch while running the bike..... can we do that?

You can't switch modes "on the fly".  You have to be at a stop.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:38:11 AM »
I'm in stop-n-go traffic every day, and I've finally developed the now-automatic habit of tapping the rear brake pedal 3 times quickly every time I back off the throttle into regen in Sport mode.

I had requested that feature be programmed into the software, but it's actually not that hard to learn. (Though I would still love it to be auto-programmed.)

Having been rear-ended twice on motorcycles, I've got lots of incentive!

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 09:52:01 AM »
I second that. If the regeneration is on for more than ~1 second...  The brake light goes on. Otherwise the light would be blinking like a strobe light at a KORN concert.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »
I leave it in SPORT mode pretty much all the time mostly because I like the idea of regen soaking up most of what would be energy lost to friction / heat with normal braking. It would be VERY nice if regen activated the brake lights as others have mentioned. In lieu of that feature missing I think I will get used to tapping the rear brake like Shiny does. That will give my rear brakes some use too as I never use em otherwise. That said, I dont foresee the need to replace my brake pads... ever. Another advantage to riding an electric motorcycle.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
I dont foresee the need to replace my brake pads... ever. Another advantage to riding an electric motorcycle.

+1, especially driving the hills of San Francisco which eats front brake pads like popcorn at the movies. 8000 miles and mine look new. Unheard of on other bikes I've owned here.

Even on the steepest of descents of 25 to 30%, the Sport regen in 1st gear holds the Empulse to less than 20 mph.

http://www.datapointed.net/2009/11/the-steeps-of-san-francisco/

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »
I'm in sport mode 100% of the time. Whenever I switch to normal my range drops. I can't explain it, but it is very predictable.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 11:29:30 PM »
I'm in sport mode 100% of the time. Whenever I switch to normal my range drops. I can't explain it, but it is very predictable.

It may be because you don't get off the throttle soon enough to let the longer Normal mode regen braking period occur and therefore the Sport regen recaptures more energy. I find I have to allow for a much longer "glide path" for the Normal regen to work effectively... too long to use safely when there's heavy traffic behind me.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Actually it's most noticeable on highway runs where I'm not braking/slowing at all. The difference is a good 5 to 10% SOC after a 40 mile trip, 35 of those miles at 65mph.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
Hmm... that's an electronic puzzle that protomech and Brian may be able to solve.

In thinking what could cause this, it occurred to me that you may be unconsciously twisting the throttle more in Normal mode to achieve the acceleration you are used to feeling when in Sport mode. If so, you will obviously eat up more watts, especially at lower rpm's where the motor isn't as efficient and must draw more amps.

Just a SWAG, however.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:38:28 AM by Shinysideup »