Author Topic: Clutch Fluid level low  (Read 615 times)

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Clutch Fluid level low
« on: September 11, 2013, 05:55:18 PM »
How do I add/change clutch fluid? The level is extremely low and I'm looking to take a road trip Friday...
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Fluid level low
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 06:22:42 AM »
Add fluid to the reservoir at the handlebar.

I would be very surprised if it was low. Is there any evidence of leaking? I recommend contacting Brammo or posting a pic before doing anything.

If the clutch lever stops functioning, it is not the end of the world. I can't remember the last time I actually pulled the lever to shift.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:19:56 AM »
The clutch works fine but I cant see any fluid in the reservoir. I moved the bike from side to side and it apperars to be empty unless it's so full I can't tell where the level is... There's no evidence of leaking. I look over the bike often and haven't seen anything. The owner's manual says not to add unless an emergency. The closest dealership is 45 miles away in N. Miami and don't really want to ride there unless I can't bleed the line and take care of this myself.
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »
If it's still actuating the clutch, then there is still fluid in there. It's probably just overfilled so you can't see a bubble. I just checked and I don't see a bubble in mine. If you're really worried, you can check by unscrewing the two phillips screws on the top of the reservoir, and pulling out the rubber bladder.

You wouldn't need to bleed if you're just adding fluid and no air got into the master cylinder. Having hydrated clutch fluid isn't as bad as hydrated brake fluid, so I wouldn't be too concerned about opening up the system to check the level.

Of course, your other option is to stop using the clutch all together. I think there is a pretty big consensus that that is smoothest and when properly done will not damage the bike.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL