Author Topic: Ohh great, Tesla S Fire...  (Read 647 times)

Xaero

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Ohh great, Tesla S Fire...
« on: October 04, 2013, 11:43:07 PM »
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-fire

Their stocks dipped because of 1 fire.  The safety precautions of the car worked (car told him to PULL OVER!) and the owner is happy and going to get another one! 

People are so scared of electric when they are sitting on 10 - 14 gallons of explosive material (gas...).  I could imagine 25 tons of pressure applied to a gas tank.  It would atomize the gas instantly and then KABOOM.

oml

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Ohh great, Tesla S Fire...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:32:41 AM »
Meh, stocks dropped for about 2-3 days (depending on timezone and marketplace, here NASDAQ and the Frankfurter Boerse) for a total of 10-15%, and they are already at 95% of their all-time-high again.

The drop was more an overreaction as the stock is absurdly overpriced (even at half the price I would have a hard time deciding to buy), the whole Tesla stock became a gamble and everybody is quite nervous about the best time to get out (well, I got out too a tad too early :| )

About the fire: I find it quite civilized for the huge amout of energy stored. Tesla did think about the case and made its precautions. As brutal deforming or even cutting (im not sure what happened) the cells is about the equivalent to throwing a lighter in the gas tank ... meh, not much happened. Too bad about the nice car, though.

Xaero

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ohh great, Tesla S Fire...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 03:21:09 PM »
Quote from article of how it happened:

[quote ]
 A curved section that fell off a semi-trailer was recovered from the roadway near where the accident occurred and, according to the road crew that was on the scene, appears to be the culprit. The geometry of the object caused a powerful lever action as it went under the car, punching upward and impaling the Model S with a peak force on the order of 25 tons. Only a force of this magnitude would be strong enough to punch a 3 inch diameter hole through the quarter inch armor plate protecting the base of the vehicle.
[/quote]

On top of that according to Tesla the firefighters cut through the top plate to fight the fire.  That caused the bigger flare up that consumed the front of the car outside of the cabin.

Freak accident if anything.