Author Topic: Throttle filter?  (Read 2018 times)

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Throttle filter?
« on: January 11, 2014, 07:20:12 AM »
Hello, maybe you can help me?

When accelerating off the line, I watched that the current increases quite slowly (looking at the display, after pushing the start buttom for several seconds). But, When looking at the raw value of the throttle, the voltage speeds up immediately.

So I thought that the current also should increase quite fast.

Do you know, is there some kind of current ramp implemented into the controller?

- Rano

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
  • First Enertia+ in the Netherlands!
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle filter?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:10:03 AM »
I think that the display on the dash is really slow. It has a delay of one or more seconds, and maybe shows some averaged values as well. I looked at it for a long time while driving to see if (and why not) the regen works. After letting go of the throttle it takes a few seconds before positive values are shown at the I, indicating regen current flowing back to the batteries. I think you're seeing the same thing.

Lame acceleration from a standstill is THE biggest issue with the Enertia+ in my opinion. It is barely fast enough to not be dangerous when you're in between lines at a traffic light and need to get going before the cars do.

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »
Hi Frank

yes I have seen the delay at the display. But I am not sure - is it an average or not? Tomorrow I will check 100% throttle -> 0%. IMO the controller will give 0 ampere quite fast - so I could find out if there is an average or not...

What is your acceleration from 0 km/h to 50? My + takes about 5 seconds..., at the beginning I am wondering whether someting happends or not, but after 30 km/h I can feel the acceleration...

- Rano

CBke

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
Lame acceleration from a standstill is THE biggest issue with the Enertia+ in my opinion. It is barely fast enough to not be dangerous when you're in between lines at a traffic light and need to get going before the cars do.

Would changing the sprocket in the back wheel with a larger one help this ?
But what would be the result: Lower top speed ? Incorrect indicated speed ? Less range ?
CBke

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »
Here are some statistics

So right now I takes about 5,5 seconds from 0 to 50 km/h (measured with my android, 1 second sample rate)

I could see, that I really have the 250 amps during the first seconds. So, I see no way for further torque improvement...

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »
Would changing the sprocket in the back wheel with a larger one help this ?
But what would be the result: Lower top speed ? Incorrect indicated speed ? Less range ?

Yes, math of ratios at work here.
Yes, Enertia takes the speedo reading from the motor speed, not the wheel speed.
Yes, depending, mostly, I'd guess, on how aggressively you use the extra available torque. ;)

Here's an article on this mod:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0008_gearing/

Here's a handy gear calculator:
http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/gearing.htm

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »

As you know my Vectrix has the same performance as your bike. After 4 years of riding it I became quite handy at handling the lack of getaway acceleration. You will too, most of the time I stop in front of the first car which means there is no worries that it will out-accelerate me.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
The Plus is slow off the line, no doubt, but I haven't found it to be a real world issue.  When I pull to the front of a line of traffic (which I do whenever it's possible and prudent), then I know I have to get scooting at the green, not so much as a safety issue but more just because after cutting ahead of traffic, you're obliged not to slow everyone down.  I'm at the front of the line so I'm watching the change of the converse light.  (Of course, I'm also watching for potential red light-runners both ways.)  If I'm on the throttle at the first opportunity, then the initial slow pokiness of the Plus is a non-issue.  At around 15 mph the available torque starts kicking and after that someone would have to be driving pretty recklessly in an urban context to pass you.

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »
Hi Adan, thats a good strategy.

I think I will try.

But its funny, its also your feeling that upto 15 mph the torque is not fully available? I also thought this way, but my measurements keep showing me: Nope, full torque from off the line... A kind of measurement error or a kind of human sense error?

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 01:41:18 AM »
I think some of it is a lack of the torque multiplication from low gears that we get in an ICE vehicle.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 12:32:56 PM »
Yes of course! But under the christmas tree I could not find a second gear  :'(