Author Topic: Implovator gets the nod from Coloumb  (Read 1016 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Implovator gets the nod from Coloumb
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:33:50 AM »
Coloumb Technologies manufactures those ChargePoint stations that are popping up.  (I imagine they are mostly in the EV supportive states on the east and west coasts... but soon they'll be everywhere... right?) 

Just read this on Coloumb's blog:

EV Rider Plugs in at McDonald’s in Cary, NC
We stumbled upon this YouTube video by implovator last week and loved his demonstration of how easy it is to use a ChargePoint station. His battery was getting a little low, so he decided to stop at McDonald’s in Cary, NC and get a cold drink while his bike plugged in. Thanks for the great video!

Also check out his blog post about Coulomb in “Geeks: Our Planet’s Saviors?” below. By the way, Implovator, we think they’re going to be!
http://www.implovator.com/2010/04/geeks-our-planets-saviors/

Yay, Implovator!  You're our new Geek Savior of the Week.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
Re: Implovator gets the nod from Coloumb
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 03:17:31 AM »
This is a very cool video.

But good news and bad news about Coloumb. The good news is that they have a couple of grants for GIVING AWAY charging stations. One from the FEDS and one from California. They are accepting applications from entities such as Governments like cities, schools, malls, etc. Any place that is likely to have a high concentration of vehicles.

The bad news is the the chargers that they are giving away will NOT have Level One charging such as in the video. Only Level Two and Three.

The Level Two has a SAE J1772™ connector, 208/240 Volts, and 32 Amps. There is not a household type plug.

So the question I have is: Can a Brammo be charged by a Level Two charger that has the SAE J1772 connector?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:14:14 AM »
So the question I have is: Can a Brammo be charged by a Level Two charger that has the SAE J1772 connector?
I don't think so... but hopefully Brian or someone else from Brammo will chime in on this one.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 07:58:54 PM »
I don't think so... but hopefully Brian or someone else from Brammo will chime in on this one.

That's what I thought. Seems like there may be a need for advocacy on behalf of electric bike makers to the suppliers of the charging stations. I'll think I'll try a new thread to see if there is any feedback from anybody at Brammo.