Author Topic: Bad Surprise - battery faulty ?  (Read 1740 times)

Berni_JUHU

• View Profile
    • Email
Bad Surprise - battery faulty ?
« on: March 07, 2014, 09:43:44 AM »
Hello,
since few weeks I've got the problem, that my enertia + always turns to 0% battery level if battery capacity is between 12 to 13 %. This fault happens every time, then i can load up the battery to 100%, and if the capacity is about 12 to 13% capacity the level turns immediately to 0% and thers's the info on screen "RECHARGE REQUIRED B53"
it seems to me that on cell is faulty, ist this possible - or is it a BMS fault ?
best regards
Berni

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bad Surprise - battery faulty ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »
You should contact Brammo Support, via this page. You could also call them: Phone: (541) 482-9555.

It is likely that they will ask you to "pull your logs" which are stored on the USB key under the seat.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Berni_JUHU

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
Dear Brammofan,

thanks for information
have a nice weekend

Berni

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »
You, too, Berni. Hope you are able to sort out the problem.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
Sounds like it could be a cell failure - one bank of cells drops below a cutoff voltage, and the BMS intervenes to save the battery.

If you wish to share the logs, either privately or publicly, I wouldn't mind taking a look at the logs. I haven't touched the log parser in a hot minute.

Definitely get ahold of Brammo support first, though. Let us know what you hear back.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
I highly doubt that there's a cell failure of any kind.  A look at the logs would tell us a lot.  Here are some general comments:

1. You should insure that your firmware, especially the BMS is up-to-date.  The dealer should be able to do this. 

2. My guess (without anything but your comments to go on) is that there's a slight imbalance between the upper and lower battery module that is exaggerated at low SOC (i.e. the 12-13% you mention).  Once one module hits a low voltage threshold, the system will "latch" the SOC at 0% to avoid issuing an optimistic state-of-charge.  Somewhat rudimentary, but usually effective in keeping people from getting stranded.  The bike may need to be left on the charger to balance the cell stacks.  How often do you let it sit on charge after you have reached 100% SOC?  The packs on the Enertia Plus can only perform intra-module balancing at the top of charge. 

Hope that helps!

Berni_JUHU

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
@ BrammoBrian + protomech,

Thank you for reply
i have charged the battery 25 times and in 23 times i have charged them to 100% to keep the batterys in balance
is it possible to get the logs on my own, or is it necessary to call my dealer ?
what's the actually SW-Version of BMS and how can i read out ?

best regards
Berni