Author Topic: Considering Enertia Plus on Craigslist  (Read 2429 times)

norcalcasey

• View Profile
Considering Enertia Plus on Craigslist
« on: April 02, 2014, 06:14:52 PM »
link - http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4370902551.html

Called the guy he noted that he is missing the charger cord, that some of the plastics are missing, and that the screen does not light up, but the main battery does have a charge on it. My questions to you, what kind of rat hole am I going down? What is the best case/worse case scenario? Thanks in advance for you help!

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Considering Enertia Plus on Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
1. I'm not convinced that it's an Enertia Plus as all the E+s I've seen say "Enertia+" on that aluminum frame. Like this:

The craigslist one just says "Electric," which is what my 2010 Enertia classic says. The Enertia plus has twice the range of the Enertia classic.
2. Missing the charging cord isn't a big deal, as you can order those directly from Brammo.
3. I see a bottom body panel that isn't attached in that photo, but it looks kind of beat up...might just be shadows on it. It is missing the side panels though, and I'd think that you'd want all the panels on it to protect it from the weather.
4. Screen doesn't light up. Does he mean that the display doesn't work, or just that the backlight doesn't work? If the screen doesn't work at all, you'd almost have to get a replacement from Brammo and I have no idea how much it would cost. Otherwise, you'd have no way of knowing the state of charge of the battery - how much range you have left.

His declaration that the main battery has a charge on it... well, there's no way of knowing how much of a charge is on it without being able to see the information on the display screen.

Caveat emptor my friend. That said, if it really was in decent shape - as in, the battery had been cared for over its life, they are a hell of a lot of fun.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:06:53 PM »
Pretty sure those are the Valence U-Charge modules from the original Enertia.

The display should not be very expensive. $100 probably, $200 tops.

I'd definitely want to ride it before I gave any thought to buying.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:40:24 PM »
Has a charge but no charge cord? How does he know?

mmcguire

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »
This looks like an Enertia legacy bike (not an Enertia Plus) to me, because:
  - It has Enertia Legacy mirrors
  - It has an Elka rear shock not a Works Performance (on the Plus)
  - The fairings appear to have been painted over - the original color: Subliminal Green (Legacy color)
  - Battery brackets look like those associated with Valence modules
  - Seat is an Enertia Legacy seat
...Yep, Im led to believe that this is NOT an Enertia Plus.  I like the Legacy bikes a lot but this seller is either misleading or doesn't appear to know the product.

norcalcasey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

It helps to know its not a plus! The current owner bought it from an auction so who knows what this thing has gone through. He said he knows the battery works because he tested it with a meter and it shows its still charged. Do these bikes have auxiliary 12V batteries in addition to the main battery?

My main concern is that there would be no way to ride it consider he doesn't have a charger for it. Do these accept J1772 connectors? Thanks

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

It helps to know its not a plus! The current owner bought it from an auction so who knows what this thing has gone through. He said he knows the battery works because he tested it with a meter and it shows its still charged. Do these bikes have auxiliary 12V batteries in addition to the main battery?

My main concern is that there would be no way to ride it consider he doesn't have a charger for it. Do these accept J1772 connectors? Thanks

The 12Vdc bus is run from a 300W DC/DC converter connected to the main battery pack, so no - there is no auxillary battery to worry about. 

The charger is built in on-board the bike, so you just need to plug in the charge cable under the seat to the wall.  The Enertia Legacy bikes have a couple extra steps for charging, which you can find here, pg. 39:

http://brammo.com/documents/brammo-owners-manual.pdf

I think the key question is whether or not the battery pack as a whole is critically over-discharged.  Can he tell you what voltage was measured at each of the battery terminals or on the pack overall?  For reference, the pack is 76.8Vdc nominally.   If the full pack measured less than about 50Vdc, I would be a bit concerned.  There's also a small LED on the top of the battery packs that will flash red if they are critically discharged. 

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »
I couldn't bring the CL ad up, so don't have any insight on it.

There's an Enertia Plus for sale just north of San Francisco . . . mine! (it's in the for sale section on this forum)