Author Topic: Empulse Questions - inquiring minds want to know  (Read 2050 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Empulse Questions - inquiring minds want to know
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »
Some questions related to the Empulse:

1. Will Brammo continue to manufacture the Enertia?

2.  If the answer to #1 is yes, will there be technology trickle-down?
2a. In other words, will the Enertia soon have the denser batteries?
2b. Will existing owners be able to buy the newer batteries at some point in the future and install them in the existing Enertia frame?
3.  Does the Empulse have regen?
4.  Will there ever be an option for tandem seats?
5.  If it's water cooled, will we no longer have to listen to that fan?  I said, "WILL WE NO LONGER HAVE TO LISTEN TO THAT FAN!?"  :D

(Post your questions, folks.  Oh, and if you're in a position to provide answers, dish away.)
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Empulse Questions - inquiring minds want to know
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 02:24:32 PM »
A related battery question, just posted by Webman over on my blog:

A question I’ve been thinking about since reading the press release; I wonder if someone could buy the 6.0, and later upgrade the battery pack, say in a couple of years? Figuring out an exchange/credit program for batteries, and upgradeable range, etc. would make the machine even more like the ‘consumer electronics’ Mr. Bramscher has mentioned in interviews.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

skadamo

• Administrator
  • Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Plug Bike
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »
Here are some questions I had...

"breakthrough in price/energy density" - Brammo Power
- battery pack - how did you improve the energy density?
- "vehicle management system" - Does it manage anything out of the ordinary for an EV?
- "water cooled motor" - why water? To be green or would another liquid have been better suited?

"Brammo Power" - does the branding of your electric drive go beyond marketing you bikes? Any chance of licensing you electric drive system?

How was the extra 40 mph achieved besides different motor, higher voltage and new batts? Will you be using the PERM 150 W?

How much does the 6.0 weigh vs. the 10.0?
Where have you found opportunity to cut cost?

What changes will be made for the RR going to Laguna Seca?
How do you think you will do in e-Power?
Any other races planned?

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »

- "water cooled motor" - why water? To be green or would another liquid have been better suited?

I'm sure Brian can give more information, but it's probably water/antifreeze mix, just like your car.  The reason to do this vs. oil or some other coolant is fairly simple; water is a very efficient medium for heat transfer, and it's also easy to use/replenish.

The first-generations of  Suzuki GSXR sportbikes from the mid-80s to the early 90's used oil cooling, but they had to have much larger radiators to give equivalent cooling; when that wasn't enough, they resorted to water cooling, just like their competitors.

the webman, aka eric
webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 02:28:30 AM »

1. Will Brammo continue to manufacture the Enertia?

2.  If the answer to #1 is yes, will there be technology trickle-down?

2a. In other words, will the Enertia soon have the denser batteries?

Yes, will the Enertia still be made and will it have a 2011 model with the increased battery range and no more fan?

The new bike looks very hot, but there are people, well me (but I bet others), that don't need or want an aggressive racer style bike. I like the more upright, see all the road, relaxed riding position for commuting, errands, and just fun casual riding on the weekend.

I want an Enertia WITHOUT the fan noise and a bit better range. I don't need a bike than can do 100 mph, or even go 100 miles in range, but an Enertia that will do 50 mph and have a 70 or so range would fit my needs just fine.

That's the bike I'd buy in a heartbeat.

skadamo

• Administrator
  • Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Plug Bike
    • Email
More Empulse Constructive Criticisms
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:26:13 AM »

One thing I don't like about the Empulse is that the charge cord drapes over the tank. I do like the location but I fear that tank is gonna get scratched fast.

Durgenbold

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:26:20 AM »
In what other colors will the Empulse be sold?
...I like orange.

skadamo

• Administrator
  • Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Plug Bike
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:51:47 AM »

I'm sure Brian can give more information, but it's probably water/antifreeze mix, just like your car.  The reason to do this vs. oil or some other coolant is fairly simple; water is a very efficient medium for heat transfer, and it's also easy to use/replenish.

Sounds logical to me. I actually wrote that question down after I realized the motor was a PERM 150 W. It's designed to be cooled by water so my question I guess should go to PERM. :D MotoCzysz chose oil to cool their motor. Mission will not tell anyone what they are using. Everyone has a favorite sauce I guess.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 12:08:29 AM »

1. Will Brammo continue to manufacture the Enertia? YES!
2.  If the answer to #1 is yes, will there be technology trickle-down?  YES.
2a. In other words, will the Enertia soon have the denser batteries?  STAY TUNED.
2b. Will existing owners be able to buy the newer batteries at some point in the future and install them in the existing Enertia frame? WOULD BE NICE, WOULDN'T IT?
3.  Does the Empulse have regen? NOPE.
4.  Will there ever be an option for tandem seats? MAYBE.
5.  If it's water cooled, will we no longer have to listen to that fan?  I said, "WILL WE NO LONGER HAVE TO LISTEN TO THAT FAN!?"  :D YES. YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE MOTOR FAN.  THE CHARGER STILL HAS FANS THOUGH...

(Post your questions, folks.  Oh, and if you're in a position to provide answers, dish away.)

Sorry for the delay, we're quite busy preparing for Laguna Seca coming at us fast this weekend!  Let me try to get some answers for you though...

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 03:55:21 AM »
Great to know that the Enertia will still be made and at some point get some of the newer technology from the new Empulse!

When a new Enertia (2011 model or Enertia Gen 2, or whatever it is going to be called) is ready to be sold I'll be the first in line.

I want it in white.

Ready for my credit card number?