Author Topic: Brian's New 2014 Empulse R mods.  (Read 4703 times)

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Brian's New 2014 Empulse R mods.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
On the European bikes they are fastened with two hex screws, just remove the two screws and you're done.  Put them back in after taking out the reflector as they also hold the fender in place.

I think that US bikes or pre 2014 could be different judging by photos.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

opfietse

• View Profile
    • My race site
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 06:23:16 AM »
I removed mine too, piece of cake.
I included a photo of the European front reflector. Looks like the US models have them glued to the fender.
MuZ Skorpion Replica - Ducati Scrambler 1100 - Ducati Monster 1100 EVO - Brammo Empulse R

http://www.opfietse.net/mr-racing/

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 11:10:10 PM »
Looks like the US models have them glued to the fender.

Just some foam-backed double-sided tape.  Fairly easy to pry off with a flat-blade screwdriver and some patience to avoid scratching the fender. 

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 06:27:08 PM »
Been wanting to do this modification for awhile now after some success racing the TTX at Indianapolis with a mono-brake setup.  Note the missing parts from the left side of the front wheel...

Saves about 5lbs of unsprung mass off the front wheel.  I went with the Magura 195 Radial Master Cylinder for the brake and clutch.  The brake cylinder is 13mm, the smallest Magura makes, in order to provide adequate pressure for the single caliper - i.e. half the piston area. 

Here's a shot of Shelina racing with this setup at Indy...

I'll need some more time on it to see if I like the braking power and feel on the street.  I'm pretty sure it will work great for track use (mostly Thunderhill for me) though and would be worthwhile for other racers out there to consider if you're mostly riding at fast, flowy tracks. 

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 04:09:44 PM »
Been wanting to do this modification for awhile now after some success racing the TTX at Indianapolis with a mono-brake setup.  Note the missing parts from the left side of the front wheel...

Saves about 5lbs of unsprung mass off the front wheel.  I went with the Magura 195 Radial Master Cylinder for the brake and clutch.  The brake cylinder is 13mm, the smallest Magura makes, in order to provide adequate pressure for the single caliper - i.e. half the piston area. 

Here's a shot of Shelina racing with this setup at Indy...

I'll need some more time on it to see if I like the braking power and feel on the street.  I'm pretty sure it will work great for track use (mostly Thunderhill for me) though and would be worthwhile for other racers out there to consider if you're mostly riding at fast, flowy tracks.
That's interesting. Never seen a racer go from 2 rotors to 1. Are the brakes really that much overkill? I guess if you race exclusively on flowy tracks...

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 01:22:32 PM »
It seems to me that not only the brakes but the wheels, tires and forks are oversized and would drop a few pounds. I tried buying Jeff's crashed bike to mod and use as a track bike but haven't heard back from him in a while

BrammoBrian I left you a voicemail concerning the TTX. Are or were they for sale and if so what's the price and difference between it and the R. When I test rode an Empulse the dealership said that they were for sale to "teams" but don't know if that means sponsored teams or privateer club racers. Sorry I know this is off topic but I saw the TTX mentioned.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:27:30 PM by chdfarl »

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »
Brian is probably too busy making space in his garage for a 2015 Empulse RR ;)

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 03:53:23 AM »

Not sure how much this helps but all (well, most) of the TTX parts are available in the accessories catalog. Just buy an R and all the bits you want. Off the top of my head the only thing not in the catalog would be the custom seat. Forks, wheels, shock, and even clip-ons, if I remember right, are all in the catalog.

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »

Not sure how much this helps but all (well, most) of the TTX parts are available in the accessories catalog. Just buy an R and all the bits you want. Off the top of my head the only thing not in the catalog would be the custom seat. Forks, wheels, shock, and even clip-ons, if I remember right, are all in the catalog.
Just checked out the parts catalog, oof...that's an expensive build. Though I suppose, what race bike isn't? Has anyone bought parts there before? How responsive are they?

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Brian's New 2014 Empulse R mods.
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »
I ordered a windscreen on September 08, 2014.
Still waiting for it...

chdfarl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »

I appreciate the info! I did see the Ohlins forks and the what are they Oz wheels in the catalog but I was trying to find out if there were any motor or battery performance modes on the TTX and or if it was somehow tuned for the track.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »
Wow, OK, been a while. Sorry about that. Ah, no changes to the battery or motor. However, I am pretty sure if you decide to race it they'll work on what little programming changes are available to the controller and possibly the BMS. I believe the spirit behind the BMS was a true SuperSport for the club racer and to keep the motor and batteries as dead reliable as possible.