Author Topic: Load Questions  (Read 1476 times)

Durgenbold

Load Questions
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm sure by now that many of you are aware that I dream of commuting to college on a Brammo in pursuit of a music degree.

The only thing is, I play trombone.

This is a case that is designed to work as a backpack, originally for freeing up a hand - but would it work on a motorcycle?

I've measured the weight of the case with the instrument inside: 15.5 pounds.

I'm sure the weight isn't as much of an issue as the height of it on my back: 3 feet.

This isn't what the case looks like at all, but here's a good visual aid for what it looks like on my back:

So... my girlfriend thinks that it would upset my center of balance and be dangerous to ride with. Do you think this is true? (I wouldn't be riding on the highway, the commute to my college is in-town)

I have some other questions as well, so I'll number them to make it easier to try to answer:

1. Would wearing a trombone case like this be safe on a motorcycle? (Most likely the Enertia)

2. I'm disappointed with the still single-seat Empulse - would there any safe way to modify an Enertia / Empulse seat so that I could ride my girlfriend around too? (Together we weigh under 300 lbs)

I know these are more general motorcycle-safety questions, so I hope someone's in the know so I can settle these questions in my head.

Thanks!  ;D

-Durgenbold

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Load Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:07:08 AM »
Hiya Durg - Glad to have you back.  Don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but my son is a music ed major at the University of Kansas.  Consider yourself lucky, Mr. Trombone man - my son would have to figure out how to transport his marimba.

I don't think this would affect your center of gravity so much as it would wind resistance (Did you catch the 'would wind'? I know... it's a brass instrument).

The weight in that case would seem to be evenly distributed, with perhaps a bit more on the very bottom, where the bell is. 

I think your girlfriend is just a bit worried to have you riding around on such a chick magnet.  You should assure her that as soon as the women see you're a band geek, they'll ignore you.

Brammofan, who is a former band geek.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »
I use a duffel bag to haul about 20 .lbs of extra weight when I ride. I use a shoulder strap, that feels like a seatbelt, to keep the bag in place and the bag rests directly behind me on the seat. I thought it would throw off my balance a bit, but I have not noticed any difference in handling. I keep the shoulder strap pretty tight to keep the bag in place to avoid it from swinging to the side during a turn.

Durgenbold

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
 :) Thanks guys, I was worried I'd be doing wheelies or something! Wind resistance shouldn't be an issue, I wasn't sure how balancing would work but it sounds pretty safe to me. I'll definitely show this to my girlfriend so she won't be concerned anymore.

:-\ Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to make an Enertia for two, is there.. I've heard sidecars are really dangerous  :P

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »
Not yet.  Just buy her one, too, and ride as a pair.

skadamo

• Administrator
  • Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Plug Bike
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »
The bottom of the pack will need to sit high enough not to touch the seat. Otherwise it will hike the straps up. :D

The wind will probably shake it around a lot which will get annoying like a loose jacket. More of a water torture thing :D If you can tighten the straps might not be as bad unless it is pushing against your helmet. Hope it works! I am always looking for ways to transport my other hobbies on my motorcycle...

http://skadamo.com/blog/2009/03/bicycle-on-sv650/

:D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:03:06 AM by skadamo »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 11:01:46 AM »
... and there's the solution to the two seater problem, as well!

Durgenbold

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:54:15 PM »
Excuse you.

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »
The trombone isn't particularly heavy and shouldn't be off-center enough to pose much of a problem. I think I missed if you stated whether the bell would be up or down but besides a potential annoyance of knocking your helmet against the case I don't see any particular danger. Just watch out for low overhangs and the first time you ride your route go slow.

Simple question - would you consider riding a bicycle carrying it?

Durgenbold

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
Kelly, I'm sorry to be so terse: you have to understand that we're 17 years old and maybe the joke would be taken lightly between adults but that's not the case. I apologize, we've been together for two and a half years now and I take it kind of seriously :-\

Highlander, I haven't tried that yet - mostly because I really would be worried about balance due to how light my bike is! But I could try it anyway.