Author Topic: Error Codes  (Read 1519 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Error Codes
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:24 AM »
Hello Everybody!

I've been seeing some error codes on my bike and thought that it would be interesting to gather information about the error codes that people have been seeing.

Eventually, I would like to make a table on the Wiki that has this information. This is the kind of thing that I'm looking for:

Bike: Empulse R 2013 (purchased in Feb 2013)
Software: V1.2 (<-- I can't remember the correct number right now, so this is probably bogus. This would be the version number that show up when you boot up the bike. Also, I don't know if that version number is for the dashboard software, or for all of the software on the bike. In any case, that's the only version number that's easy to get, and it's better than nothing.)

Error: B9
Manual says: This is not a listed error. However, B errors are related to the Battery.
Cause: Uncertain. Probably excessive water.
Affects on the bike: None apparent
Solution: Ignore it.
Details: This often shows up after riding through heavy rain. It will stay on, sometimes for weeks, but will eventually only show intermittently and then finally go away. Brammo says that this error can be ignored. They even said that they would stop reporting it in future software upgrades.

Error: V58
Manual says: VCU +12V Out of Spec
Cause: Unknown.
Affects on the bike: None apparent
Solution: Unknown. Brammo advised me to take the bike to the dealership, but I've not been able to do that yet.
Details: This started showing up after about 10,000 miles. When it shows up, it's intermittent. It appears to show up more frequently when the bike has less charge. Or perhaps when I push the bike hard. Brammo advised me to take the bike to the dealership.

Error: (I can't recall the code)
Manual says:
Affects on the bike: The bike stops.
Solution: Toggle the cut off switch and press the start button to restart the bike.
Details: I get this when repeatedly gently tap the throttle while the bike is stopped. This can happen when I'm maneuvering the bike in a parking lot; I just want to move forwards and backwards about a foot each way, so I gently tap the throttle. If I do this enough, the bike will sometimes give that error and then stop.

So, what errors have you seen? How did that affect the bike? What did you do to remedy the problem?

(By the way, I feel like a bit of a heel - I haven't been on this forum much since I got my Empulse, and here I am just when I'm having a problem with my bike.)
 :-[
Richard #935 #595 #44

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Error Codes
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:47:37 PM »
Hiya Freepz! 
I think we could do that table for the Wiki... just a matter of taking the time to put it together. I'll give it a shot later...maybe this week.

I get that V58 code once in a while, too. Doesn't seem to affect the performance at all and it disappears after a re-start.  And it does seem to come up when I've been hitting the throttle fairly hard.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
Welcome back!
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:40:04 PM »
I  believe V58 is a problem in the 12V circuit. I've been seeing it flash quite a bit, but VERY briefly for about two months. It took me about a week before I could see the actual code number!

Scuderia called Oregon and that's how I found out about the 12V info.

Last week Scuderia uploaded my thumbdrive to Oregon for further diagnosis, but I haven't heard anything back.

No apparent problems as a result of the code: All lights, and my add-on's work fine. I'm just tired of seeing it.  ::)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »
Error: A6
Manual says: AIM Module Not Communicating
Affects on the bike: Will not run, will not charge. When charging, charger fan does not cycle when first plugged in.
Solution: Cycle key or unplug charger and plug back in. I've been getting this one about every third time I plug in for the last month, and maybe every tenth time I first leave for a ride.

I'd still like some one to explain to me like I'm an idiot how to see the error code in the log file. A few weeks ago my bike powered off at 75mph and I would love to know what error it threw.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:43:52 PM »
A few weeks ago my bike powered off at 75mph and I would love to know what error it threw.

Did you happen to hit a bump, or a series of bumps, just before the cutout happened?

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences with these codes.  It is true that in many cases, the codes do not reflect an actual problem and can be ignored.  In the future, we will endeavor to only list codes that require the owner to do something with the bike or require actual service.  This is what happens when you have engineers making marketing decisions - too much information for most, but it is incredibly helpful during validation testing! ;)

Regarding any control system faults related to the motor controller ("S XX" errors), we are currently in final stages of releasing "ride through" firmware for the motor controller (with considerable help from Sevcon) to make these events a thing of the past. 

As always, thanks for the patience and feedback.  We appreciate you taking a leap of faith with Brammo and we try very hard to live up to your expectations.  We are slowly, but steadily, training and expanding our dealer network to provide better service and quicker resolutions on issues that arise.   

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »
Hi, Brian.

Thanks for the official word from Brammo. I'm a big Brammo fan, and was totally prepared to take a leap of faith and buy your fantastic bike.  ;D

This thread is a bit of an opportunity for you to get some information from the folks out there in the wild who, together, have been riding a hundreds of thousands of miles. (I work in software, and more code in the software is run in a single day after the launch then in the months of testing that lead up to it!)

I think that most people don't worry too much about error codes that don't affect the performance of the bike, although it is a little embarrassing to have to say to onlookers "err, just ignore that flashing error message, the bike really is okay..."

The other purpose of this thread is to make people aware of which codes can be safely ignored. The first time I got a B9 error, I didn't dare take the bike out for a week!
Richard #935 #595 #44

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 12:19:29 PM »
The other purpose of this thread is to make people aware of which codes can be safely ignored. The first time I got a B9 error, I didn't dare take the bike out for a week!

Whereas my approach is: If it runs and I don't smell anything, ride it!

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 05:48:48 PM »

Regarding any control system faults related to the motor controller ("S XX" errors), we are currently in final stages of releasing "ride through" firmware for the motor controller (with considerable help from Sevcon) to make these events a thing of the past. 

Can't wait!
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 05:56:21 AM »
Can we also put in feature requests for the firmware?

My list so far:
1. Option to charge with lights off. Dashboard must stay on like it is today.
2. Adaptive charger cooling fan speed (if possible with the current hardware)
3. Option to manually select charge speed. Use: when charging off an electrical circuit which cannot sustain 3kw
4. More time between changes on the display (most annoying for me speed indicator, power usage in kw). These values change so fast that sometimes it takes too long for me to understand the value. Means less attention to the road.
5. Some way to enable hazard lights (perhaps by pressing a dashboard button followed by activation of the turn indicator within 3 seconds?)

Thanks!
Once you go EV, gas is history!