Author Topic: Top case installed  (Read 2884 times)

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Top case installed
« on: October 10, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
Guess I needed a top case to stash my charger cable and other stuff now that winter is on it's way.
Hate to see the Nelson rigg and straps deteriorate with all the salt and sand. Sandy straps can rub away paint too.

So first I started  with a rack, made out of mild steel fitted to the bull horn grip bolts.
Now it is time for some test runs, to see if it will hold.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs
shortened chain tensioner bolts

Top Case

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Re: Top case installed
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 06:08:54 AM »
I like the rack and would love seeing, reading more details on how you made it.  Definitely looks good in the photo!

As far as the top case on the Empulse, I have trouble getting a leg over my Nelson Rigg bag, but I guess if you're tall or a contortionist mounting the bike could be managable.

With your focus preparing for the upcoming winter season, was wondering what part of the country?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 02:34:06 PM »
Yes! This is what I've been waiting for from Brammo for a long time. Guess we'll just have to DIY! Do you have any photos of just the rack's tubing, before the mounting plate was attached?

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 07:11:26 AM »
Yes! This is what I've been waiting for from Brammo for a long time. Guess we'll just have to DIY! Do you have any photos of just the rack's tubing, before the mounting plate was attached?

Sure, after I did a bit of test riding, I had to take it all off for a quick paint job.

The "wiper blades" can be detached from the brackets, which ads for versatility.
Don't know what I need to haul in the future, but I might want to replace it with a "bale-a-hay-hauler", to make the Empulse even more versatile.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 07:22:06 AM by JeffK »
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs

Top Case

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »
Good pics of the supports.  How about a photo of the rack itself.  Is the rack a Givi or did you fabricate it?  Also, how does the rack attach to the brackets?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:50:13 AM »
Nice, simple fabrication. It would seem, after a year, Brammo should be able to produce these. Guess I will copy you and see if I beat them!

And I like the idea of being able to take the case off to mount other platforms. I tied on a large piece of plywood one time to haul two new tires to the shop for mounting. I can also tie on a folding bicycle to ride home from the shop when in for mechanical repair, which, with the Empulse, is pretty much never!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:55:23 AM by Shinysideup »

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »
Nice! I thought of something similar that used sheet metal that was bent and grabbed onto those mounts and came up to a platform that I could mount a top case.

Brammo has been slow to respond to inquiries about a top case, so who knows if they'll ever make one. I'll likely have to make my own.

Thanks for the pics!

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 04:34:16 AM »
Good pics of the supports.  How about a photo of the rack itself.  Is the rack a Givi or did you fabricate it?  Also, how does the rack attach to the brackets?

The top case base plate is bolted directly to the supports with 4 m6 bolts and nylock nuts. It is full of holes , so you can align it with the supports and mark the spots on the metal for drilling. (sorry about the dirty bike, just went trough the rain again)

then a cover plate is fitted over the bolts.

Top case brand is a 36 liter "Drive" which is pretty low end aftermarket. it comes with the mounting base.
I believe it was discontinued, but there are plenty of similar units around
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:36:26 AM by JeffK »
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs

Top Case

JeffK

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 04:39:48 AM »
.... I can also tie on a folding bicycle to ride home from the shop ...

I was thinking about something similar, when the bike is charging at a few miles from my destination, but then carry an which seems like a perfect electric addition to any EV.
Modifications so far:
Crash bungs

Top Case

Roland Stone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 05:46:05 AM »
How cool, - the wheel reinvented, - the revolution is just beginning............. !

Thanks for the top case / base plate details.

Albano

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 06:53:25 AM »
Hey,

I am a new owner of a Empulse and I'm also interested in manufacture and install a back top case. In my opinion, a top case is much more practical than the sides because I drive between cars very often in Barcelona. Therefore I seek not increase the width of my Brammo.

May I obtain the measurements of the support you've made in order of made it by my own?

Thanks!

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Top case installed
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »
I ordered one from these guys. They make it themselves and looks nice and solid.

www.motorzaak.com/elektrische-motor/brammo-motor-accessoires

Sorry that it's in Dutch
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 02:29:29 PM »
Thanks for this. Google translated it easily.

I tried to order but the only countries listed in their shipping form were in Europe.

I emailed them to ask if they would ship to the U.S.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Top case installed
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »
Wonder if they sell without the case? I have a givi case and mount, but no way to mount on the bike without fabricating it.

Albano

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 05:51:31 AM »
Thanks!

I was thinking of asking exactly the same, if it's possible selling it without the Givi case. I think there are better top cases than this model. Apart, shipping only the frame should be much cheaper.