Author Topic: From Finland to the Isle of Man TT Zero with an Empulse R  (Read 4646 times)

Yarno

• View Profile
From Finland to the Isle of Man TT Zero with an Empulse R
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:29:22 AM »
Hi Everyone.

My name is Jarno. Im 26 years old and im a proud owner of an Empulse R 2014, in Southern Finland.

I have backround from petrol and electric motorcycles as a mechanic for +4 years and total of 15 years as a biker. Mainly enduro, some motocross and hints of trial skills also in the backround. Now i think its time to enjoy some asphalt, scenery and electricity for the next summer.

This idea is currently alive and i have one motorcycle magazine currently interested (no names yet  ;)) about my idea at the moment. When i get the plan solid, i will start to collect some sponsors also during the spring.

Don't know can you call this a "iron butt" ride, but electric motorcycle touring is an idea what im really interested at the moment. I think i can handle the camera and writing also. The idea is totally realistic with proper rideplanning and attitude. Dispite that the charging network in northen europe is in a bit confusing stage. I tought that this would be also a good idea to make it more clearer to my self and to others(europeans).

Also the awareness of electric motorcycles could need some boost generally.

Lots of things todo before the trip, but i will make a short list here what i have in mind currently. If anyone can give me a help or tips before and during the trip they are more than welcome.

The bike :

- ~1300km driven (800miles)
- Brake in period done. Two oil changes done currently.
- Belray Gear Saver 80W oils going in before the spring start.

To do / Buy :

- Touring tires (probably z6:s or road 3)
- Dowsize rear tire to 160.
- Chainoiler (or i just take care of the chain during recharging).
- Givi bags (no idea about availability..)
- Windscreen big or a smaller one.
- Small External battery for gps (from my understanding there is no 12v outlet in 2014 Empulse R?)
- Small tool set (nessesary sizes)

To think :

- Money, sponsors, social media, blog.
- Charging stations (also unofficial ones ;))

- Route (top speed 80 - 100km/h, so range could be around 100 - 150km per battery)
- Affordable resting places (have a small idea allready)
- 2 - 3 full batteries per day = driving atleast 300km per day.
- Making contacts with European dealers if they would have some parts / service ready if needed.
- Towing rope (it can be used also for regen ;))

Questions :

What date is the TT zero 2015 driven?

I tried to search  info about it but any hints would be great..

Anyone from europe want to throw highfives during the trip or join during the ride?

I will add more info later this month when i get this in the "official stage". ::)

Meanwhile everyone can try to read (google translate) my Empulse R topic at the meantime ;)

http://www.motot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86582

Thank you / Kiitos !

- Jarno
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:19:24 AM by Yarno »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: From Finland to the Isle of Man TT Zero with an Empulse R
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:43:26 AM »
This sounds fantastic! The TT festival is from May 30 - June 12. Go to IOMTT.com for more info.  Keep us updated, please!
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »
If you travel via the Netherlands we will give you a warm welcome!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Yarno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 07:09:14 AM »
Thanks for the support!

I'll probablyb book the ferry tickets first and try to get the racetickets later (hopefully from sponsors).

I'll post here spesific info before the end of this January, considering the press and general progress.

Yarno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 05:48:31 AM »
The e-touring idea is now a go with the magazine! No names untill 30.1 ;)
I will be the first one doing electric motorcycle touring with a "stock" electric motorcycle without heavy modifications.

I sended some inquiries for the givi mounting kit & bags also today. Also asked about the prices & delivery times for the long or short windshield.

So now its just pure excitement when i will be able to obtain these parts. I have been waiting for my mirror since november.. ::)

Also i will try to make a blog about this thing, so i dont have to flood the forum during updates.

kingcharles have you got your windshield yet?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:50:09 AM by Yarno »

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »
No, I didn't get the one from Brammo but the Dutch importer provides excellent service and sent me a standard windscreen from MRA to use until it arrives! Big thanks again to him!

Here it is on the bike:

Friday I will need to ride 250 kilometer (90% motorway) in one day for an appointment and in order to minimise charging I really wanted a windscreen.
The temperature will be 5 Celcius so I expect to do 80 kilometer of motorway per charge. Luckily I can charge at my appointment so I hope that the other charges are about one hour. I planned the appointment such that these other charges will fall in lunchtime and diner time 😀
Hopefully no rain Friday...

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »
The temperature will be 5 Celcius so I expect to do 80 kilometer of motorway per charge. Luckily I can charge at my appointment so I hope that the other charges are about one hour. I planned the appointment such that these other charges will fall in lunchtime and diner time 😀

I'm not sure I understand this plan.  A full charge on the bike takes about 3.5-4 hours at Level 2, it cannot charge any faster.  In one hour of charging you will only get about 3kwh (less as it gets > 90%) which will not get you another 80km at highway speeds.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 08:59:08 PM »
I will be the first one doing electric motorcycle touring with a "stock" electric motorcycle without heavy modifications.

You may want to look this over...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1KcXffl9-nzLWJra0NQcFd0X2s/edit?usp=sharing

Yarno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »

You may want to look this over...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1KcXffl9-nzLWJra0NQcFd0X2s/edit?usp=sharing

Okay, lets add first in Europe to make things more clearer. ::) I might not be doing 1000 miles in the end. Main thing is to get taste of touring and the routeplan is still in the planning stage.

Why haven't this pdf gone to the public? Have to read it later on fully, thanks for the link!

My quest will be abit easier due the 240v (mode2) charging what can be done basicly anywhere during the trip. Next month there is also coming an updated app for smartphones considering the official European charging network so things are looking a bit brighter for the routeplanning.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:14:40 AM by Yarno »

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »

I'm not sure I understand this plan.  A full charge on the bike takes about 3.5-4 hours at Level 2, it cannot charge any faster.  In one hour of charging you will only get about 3kwh (less as it gets > 90%) which will not get you another 80km at highway speeds.
Well it was 2 hours exactly. And only on my way to Eindhoven.
Because riding back I did the 125 kilometer on a single charge!
It was the strong headwind on the way there that hurt the range.
I arrived in Eindhoven with 51% charge left so the 2 hours charge wasn't even required, one hour would have been enough but I had reserved that time for charging so it was not a problem.

One strange thing though, when I was almost home I had 9% charge left. But it suddenly dropped from 9% to 0%! That made me a bit nervous because there were still 4 kilometers to go, but I made it home safely. (but with a lot of blinking lights on the dashboard)

So the range in 5 Celcius is not that bad at all, much better than the 80 kilometer I expected. The battery heaters do their job well.

My speed was 90 kilometer per hour in 3rd gear the whole time, which is about 5000 RPM.
I remembered reading once that between 4000 and 6000 was the most efficient.

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 12:12:27 PM »

- Belray Gear Saver 80W oils going in before the spring start.

80W oil?

In the manual:
"Refilling the transmission oil
The transmission should be filled with the Empulse standing on level
ground and supported on the kickstand.
1. Fill the transmission with approximately 1.0L (1 quart) of
Synthetic 10W-30 API GL-1 Motorcycle oil (wet clutch approved)."

Yarno

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 02:30:14 PM »
Small update :

Small translation from finnish to english : sähkötouriningia = electrictouring

So the idea is still alive. Fair visitors were very interested about the bike and idea. Spring is currently active and i got the bike out for a first ride yesterday. 8)

Much sand in the tarmac, spiked tires from cars have made the roads into a very interesing condition.. due the low snow winter. The stock tires are still giving me the chills when they are cold. Especially the rear tire.

Im currently not feeling super confident about making the trip in the beginning of June. There are very little distributors / service points in the route if something happens. Also schedules considering work is quite tight and im not sure do i get time off to do the trip.

The bike womited oil from the gearbox breahter tube during the ride..  ::) Engine temp was around 35 celisus and i was taking it slowly anyway. So the recall part has to be fitted asap + software updates at the same time. Gearbox oil is probably going to be changed also. The current 10/40 oil still makes the gearbox feel very stiff especially when its in the room temprature. But let's see what happens during these few months before the planned trip.

**19.3 some spelling corrections done**
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:23:41 AM by Yarno »

roma258

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
Have you decided on a windscreen yet? I'm thinking that would probably be the biggest difference maker.

Yarno

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 08:16:41 AM »
Have you decided on a windscreen yet? I'm thinking that would probably be the biggest difference maker.

Not yet. I have 2 interested buyers for the bike atm, so i trying to keep the bike as original as possible. Maybe swap the mirrors for the bar end style, but nothing more special in mind for the time being.

Kingcharles has got the MRA "RNB" model windshield in his Empulse, you can ask him about his feelings with it trough pm.

I would perfer a littlebit smaller one. The search for a perfect one and fixings would need some detective work also. Anyway the windshield would be very practical in the +100km speeds when wind starts to hit the driver more heavily.

Got the breathertube upgrade done today, lets see when i get the updates done. In few weeks planning to visit local Continental dealer for the front tire replacement recall also.

Here's the info about the Mra windshield (thanks to kingcharles)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:24:49 AM by Yarno »

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »
Any updates now that the Isle of Man TT is upon us?  I hope you were able to make the trip and had a great time!

Chocula