Author Topic: Squealing Brakes  (Read 2355 times)

ColoBrammo

• View Profile
Squealing Brakes
« on: August 03, 2010, 02:15:24 PM »
Hi folks, I have ~270 miles on my Enertia now, and the brakes (both) are starting to squeal.  Is an adjustment necessary or will this go away?

Thanks, Steve

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Squealing Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »
My front brake started to squeal at around the ~400 mile mark, but it has gone away. I did not make any adjustments, just kept on riding. My theory was that it was just part of breaking in the brake pads.
I am at ~1,050 miles as of today.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 02:40:33 PM »
I'm checking with a Brammo tech as we speak...

In the meantime, have you checked your wheels for signs of stuck pigs?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

ColoBrammo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »
Ummm.... No pigs... I do have a lot of field rabbits running around my yard though... they make a nice squeal, too.  Perhaps a rabbit couldn't hear the Enertia coming... :-)

brammojen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:26:35 PM »
Ok, everyone.  Here are a few things to check and make sure so that you keep brakes functioning properly.  If the following steps all check out ok then the noise is within normal working specs and most likely will go away.  If you start to notice that brake function is reducing then something else might be going on.

1. Make sure the fasteners that hold on the brake caliper are tight. (Loose pads/calipers can cause squeaking)

2.  Visually inspect the brake pads and make sure they are wearing evenly.  Also make sure they are not worn out and need replacing.

3.  Use compressed air to blow out the brake dust from the pads.  This dust accumulates all the time and can cause squeaking.

4.  If you can get the tire off the ground spin the wheel and watch the brake rotor to make sure it is not warped.  This can also cause the brake pads to wear unevenly.

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffyyaki
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vespa_1004
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
Mine is more like a mice i get squeeks every now and then but its all good its only in the morning or when lightly apply on the brakes...

Hmmm a pig sound would be cool too though but what interest me is the rabbit sound lol