Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1908 times)

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
A few questions
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:45:35 AM »
So watched a bunch of YouTube videos. I noticed in one that the tach was way off, and the video mentioned the other test bike's tach was way off. Does anyone know if this is a thing with these bikes?

Also, went to the local Polaris/Victory/Zero/GEM dealer. Salesman really knew his Zero stuff, and seemed pretty sure the Zero's were much better than the Brammo's, but he did add as far as he was told. Don't get me wrong he wasn't rude about it at all. Just the typical rival treatment, which I found amusing. But I'd buy a bike off of him if I could. Anyway, he seemed to think that they wouldn't be able to get an Empulse. Of course he also didn't seem to know that the Empulse was no longer a Brammo and made by Polaris. He seemed to be under the impression it was all still Brammo, Polaris was just the parent company. Ether way, he said he didn't think they would get one because it'd be one of those package deal where they'd have to have to carry a bunch more models in able to get that one. They are a smaller dealership afterall. Anyone know if this is true? The salesmen did offer to ask his boss, but I didn't think I should have him bother his boss where I didn't have $20k to spend on one.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:57:21 AM »
You know, there may be something to this. I just went to get a quote from a dealer and the site said the closest one was in Nashville, about an hour away. But I'm still wondering if they know for sure.

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 10:16:17 AM »
Link to the video that shows that tach being off? Also how do you know that tach is off? Maybe the video will answer that. My Empulse R's tash seems to be fine. Matches the sound at least.

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
A few questions
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 03:33:25 PM »
A few victory dealers  need to be trained to carry the electric bike (Empulse)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 10:04:53 PM »
Link to the video that shows that tach being off? Also how do you know that tach is off? Maybe the video will answer that. My Empulse R's tash seems to be fine. Matches the sound at least.

https://youtu.be/9aIHI-2NrP0

I have no doubt Rs are fine. I'm wondering about TTs. Watch the video and you'll see what I mean. At a light it says 5500 or 6000 rpm, and maxes out all the time. Clearly something is wrong.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 10:08:39 PM »
A few victory dealers  need to be trained to carry the electric bike (Empulse)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm, OK, but these guy are not only a Zero dealer, but also a GEM dealer. They shouldn't need much training. This definitely seemed like a sales package to me. He said it would basically be like adding on another brand. Having worked in the bicycle industry I have seen things like that. Giant decided if we wanted to sell even 1 carbon bikes we needed to buy 5. And that was for road and MTB individually. So 10 carbon bikes that not even employees can afford, and no one is going to buy. So I don't think he was BS'n.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:11:01 PM by ttxgpfan »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:13:17 PM »
The tach on my Empulse R has malfunctioned (won't go back to zero) a few times, all in really hot weather after sitting in direct sun. After cooling in the shade, it returns to normal. Not a big enough deal for me to worry about, since I pretty much know what RPM's are running in each gear at each speed by now, and my ear tells me when to shift, and I'm not racing.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 05:11:16 AM »
That tach is clearly off by 180 degrees.  If you look at where it is at a stop and go directly across the dial you get to 0rpm.  Continuing with that observation it doesn't look like he gets much past "180 degress from 3-4k" and the bike sounds like he is keeping it around 3-4k.  The fact that he runs in 5th gear on a major non-highway road is also consistent with really only being around 3k.

Not sure what could cause that - maybe a part is installed backwards in the dashboard?
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650