Author Topic: IC racers may soon be at a disadvantage on the race track  (Read 956 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
IC racers may soon be at a disadvantage on the race track
« on: February 26, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »
Now this is an interesting regulatory development.  The EPA is formulating rules that would prohibit all IC (I assume) vehicles originally approved for public highway use from being modified for racing - even if they were never going to be run anywhere but on a race track again. If you were to get caught with a modified IC vehicle you would be subject to a $37,500 fine for each vehicle modified. Enforcing this rule would make electric motorcycles a lot more competitive on race tracks, I assume.  ??? You can read a lot more here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/the-epa-wants-to-make-it-illegal-to-modify-your-bike-for-racing
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: IC racers may soon be at a disadvantage on the race track
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »
To clarify, they are referring only to removing or disabling the emissions equipment and controls.  How much gain does a race prep get by removing or bypassing the emissions equipment?

I suppose that a major hit might come if that prohibits a preparer from changing the throttle mapping (chipping the bike?) or changing the mixtures or maybe boring/stroking the engine or switching to race gas.

But you would still be able to remove all other safety equipment, change the suspension, use non-DOT tires, etc.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »
But that would also include not being able to modify the stock muffler, air filter, cam shafts, engine timing, compression ratio, etc.  How many racers do you know that only modify the chassis?  I bet the first thing they do when they get their hands on a new motorcycle that they want to race is to try to improve engine power output first and then start work on the chassis components second. However I don't race, so I will let the ones that do offer any comments.   ???
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 07:06:31 PM »
I don't race either, and I don't imagine that they only touch the chassis.

But, what I'm not clear on is if any of those engine modifications that aren't strictly related to removing or disabling the emissions controls would run afoul of the regulations.

Even street bikes do some of the things you mention without disabling the emissions controls.  The question is how far you can go and what is off the table when you can't get rid of the emission controls.

Also, I'll note that I haven't read the 600+ page document from the EPA, I'm just going on the summary in the article...

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 12:14:13 AM »
I'm easily confused:

Is this the same action referred to here?:

http://www.snopes.com/epa-seeks-ban-racecar-conversions/

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 02:00:56 AM »
The snopes article pretty much confirms what the article is saying with a lot more detail.  The issue is over whether race-only vehicles were ever exempt from emissions legislation and whether there is going to be any enforcement.

An interesting excerpt from the snopes article:
The EPA considers “emission control devices” to include the engine, the computer that runs the engine, the intake and the exhaust, so any changes to these components would be prohibited. The fact that the EPA says that they don’t plan on enforcing it does not change the fact that they are adding it to the regulations. SEMA also disagrees with the EPA’s position that this was already the law because the Clean Air Act, as written and amended by Congress, was never intended to extend to racing vehicles.

Pretty interesting that it includes the full engine and exhaust.  Noting that aftermarket exhausts on street vehicles is a big market, this interpretation has a lot larger scope than just race conversions.  Race conversions are at least not likely to see a lot of enforcement, but it could make any aftermarket exhaust illegal to sell...?

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 10:26:28 AM »
Aftermarket exhausts are already illegal to sell or install in California if they are manufactured for, or installed, on any 2013-year motorcycle or later model, unless it has been "certified" by either the motorcycle manufacturer for that model or approved by the CA EPA (which is looking for a lot of paperwork).

You won't see a dealer installing a such a muffler as they can get hit by big fines should they get caught.  It just isn't worth the risk.  However, that law doesn't seem to prevent some "cruiser" or sportbike owners from replacing their mufflers with items bought out of state (for off-road use, of course  ::) ) or just removing them entirely like the ones that ride by my home do.   :o  You can make the laws, but if no one enforces them you are only wasting your time and trying to feel good. It is a political thing....   ::)