Author Topic: Range display  (Read 942 times)

m640x

• View Profile
    • Email
Range display
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:51:23 AM »
Hello all, I have a question about the range display.  In some electric vehicles, after charging to full, the range display that is shown is a calculation based on the previous driving/riding session.  Is that the case with the Empulse?
Thanks in advance.
2013 Brammo Empulse R Black and Carbon

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Range display
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
I would say no. The range display on the Empulse seems to be completely based on your current power consumption. So pretty much just a calculation that says at this rate you could go x more miles.

m640x

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »
Thanks for the quick response.  So for clarity I just charged my newly purchased 2013 Empulse to 100%.  The range meter shows 72 miles.  I'm thinking it should be higher than that.  That's what leads me to the thought that the current range display
is a product of the last riding session or sessions.  Basically it's saying if you ride this time like you rode last time you'll get appox the range shown.

It's all speculation on my part.  This bike only has 2800 miles so I cant believe that it's reached so many cycles that the batts are losing capacity. 

m640x

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:20:34 AM »
Got it and thanks littlefreak3000.  Went riding yesterday and the range display changed
as I was riding.  I see how it works now.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 04:51:12 PM »
Like most EV range gauges, it's fairly useless most of the time, due to wild fluctuations of acceleration and regen. The only time I find it useful is at a constant speed on the highway. It's quite accurate, IF that speed were to be maintained constantly. Around town, not so much.

I've adopted the approach of putting my ride into categories: If I'm almost always in a city, I can be confident of 85 to 100 miles range. If I'm on the freeway, I'll get right around 60 miles. For mixed riding, I use a ballpark conservative figure of 70 miles on a charge. Of course ambient temperature and rabbit-starts have sizable impacts.

A windscreen and gently using SPORT mode with its stronger regen have increased my range.

m640x

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 06:55:33 AM »
Speaking of windscreens, I found one of the Victory one's for the Empulse on ebay for $25. Came without brackets so once I fabricate some I'll be good.