Author Topic: Charging input ports:  (Read 616 times)

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Charging input ports:
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »
Does anyone know if the Empulse has more than one charging input ports? I just wanted to know if we could integrate the level 1 charger into the bike along with the level 2 charger. That way, we wouldn't have to carry the level 1 adapter all the time and maybe we could charge the bike with both chargers simultaneously.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Charging input ports:
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 09:38:17 AM »
Simultaneously won't work, as there's only one 3000W charger onboard. Connecting 2 power sources from potentially different feeds is a recipe for disaster. Use the J1772, or use your proposed mod, not both.

You MAY be able to splice something in, but then you'd have to have a jack for that, and store the cord. Might look into the small L1 chargers that are compact enough to put into a backpack. Something like the TurboCord L1 charger.

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »
So has no one ever tried upgrading the charger? Level 2 can send upto 6.6kW power as far as i know. So using the same level 2 stations and a faster charger wont we be able to cut the time in half? I am still new to all the electrical/electronic aspect of things. So forgive my ignorance  :)

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 04:21:49 PM »
It would require a high level knowledge of CAN in order to speak/reply to the VCU (like an ECU in a gas vehicle). The protocol for the Eltek Valere powercharger 3000 is fairly documented, but would the batteries stand being charged at 2x the speed? Is there a shunt inside the Brammo that would cause a fault if you did try to charge them at a higher current? How do you reverse engineer it?

It's a lot more than just connecting the charger to the B+ and B- and letting her rip. There's a lot of "communication" going on between all of the modules. You have the VCU, Display, Charger, Motor controller, Battery Management System Main unit (which connects to each of the 7 battery packs board) as well as an IO module that controls lights, signals, etc.

littlefreak3000

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:45:49 PM »
I would love it if someone did the leg work on all this. Also I'd love it if someone could figure out how more cells could be added (sattle bags maybe).

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 02:10:00 AM »
Right it is not an easy task. The main concern would be the possibility of some sort of a barrier inside one of the components (VCU or the BMS most likely), which would prevent the battery from receiving more power despite that being safe. It maybe there for additional safety or to prevent anyone from customizing the battery/charging components. Nevertheless, its worth a try.

I see some older posts where Athlon has tried to install an additional 3kW battery pack and an additional charger and vtbrammorider has changed some torque and regen settings using a CAN interface.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 12:28:24 PM »
Both of them have some CAN knowledge, and the proper software, to make those changes. I don't know what Athlon had to do to have a larger charger, so maybe he'd know better. I completely forgot about that.

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 01:02:52 AM »
Not sure how far Athlon went with the mod, but some sneak peek into the results would've been great

shayan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 07:01:52 PM »
Bumping this thread back up.

I posted on http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=6781.180
asking evtricity if any Empulse users had used the charger that he had and his response was:
Hi shayan,

We have sold a double charger to allow a Brammo owner to charge two Brammos simultaneously in conjunction with the existing J1772 onboard charger (so ~7kW DC each bike). However they have had to do the integration themselves to to connect into the Brammo as we don't offer a DC fast charge cable that supports that with stock Brammos as we do with Zeros.

I can get in touch with them if you like and see how they have progressed in configuring that setup.

Not sure who the Brammo owner was and evtricity mentioned that he would follow up with that person on details of how he integrated the charger.
If this can work and not too complicated, i guess this is a possibility.

I also checked with HollywoodElectrics on the diginow supercharger and head back that they did install the charger on an Empulse but was short on details. Though the 6.6kW diginow is much more expensive than the one that evtricity is selling for.