Author Topic: ChargePoint's new 400 kW charging stations  (Read 590 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
ChargePoint's new 400 kW charging stations
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »
An article in my newspaper today, written by Louis Hansen of the Bay Area News Group, discusses ChargePoint's announcement of a new series of charging stations that will charge electric vehicles at rates of up to 400 kW - provided that they can handle that rate of charge.  If they can not the new stations will be able to tell and back off the charge rate to the maximum that the vehicle can handle.  ChargePoint CEO Pat Romano said that his company is building infrastructure for the next generation of electric vehicles.

The Express Plus DC chargers will work with almost any EV, including Teslas, Leafs, Bolts, and even electric buses and trucks. The first versions of the new charger are expected to be installed this summer.

In November, a consortium of automakers in Europe announced plans to build 350 KW charging stations across Europe, starting with 400 sites.  The group includes Ford, BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Porsche.

However, Elon Musk hinted last month that Tesla is working on an upgraded Supercharger and joked that a 350 kW charger was too small.  He said in a Tweet: "What are you referring to, a children's toy?"   :o
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: ChargePoint's new 400 kW charging stations
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »
Great news about the 400 kW, as I just ordered a Bolt and went for the fast charge option, about $750, IIRC.

I'm not sure there is much behind Elon's comment other than marketing bravado, since this story shows they upgraded their Superchargers' rate last summer to 145kW:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1105234_tesla-boosts-supercharger-electric-car-charging-rate-to-145-kw