Author Topic: Enertia fails to run after heavy rain w/solution  (Read 1279 times)

amped

• View Profile
    • Email
Enertia fails to run after heavy rain w/solution
« on: February 23, 2017, 05:40:21 AM »
New problem and solution for my 2010 Enertia:

For those of you not located in California, us here in Southern California experienced huge a storm this last Friday which included alot of heavy rain along with high winds. The bike operated normally under these conditions until I stopped at my destination when I went to start the bike up to leave, the bike cycled through the start up sequence normally but when I rolled the throttle on, the bike attempted to move for a moment then stopped. No error code was displayed until I shut the lights off or switched the on/off switch to OFF in which case the error code D18 was displayed, cycling the bike OFF then ON several times made no difference. It was then I noticed that whenever I switched the run switch to ON the contactor would make the normal clunk when energized but immediately after I would also hear a lower pitched thunk as if the contactor de-energized. I was stuck and had to get towed home.

Partially in disgust and because it was cold, I left the bike in the garage to dry out for a few days occasionally trying to start it, no dice. The error code didn't show up again but now the contactor wouldn't energize. I decided to start with the simplest possible cause, the on/off switch, looking at it closely it didn't seem to have any kind of weatherproofing to keep water out of the switch so I took it apart and liberally sprayed the internals with WD40 and operated it back and forth a dozen times and Woohoo! the bike runs again.

I have not found out why I was getting the D18 error code in the beginning nor have I gone for a test ride yet, I was just so happy that it runs again I just had to post.

Thanks for stopping to read this post and I hope it helps someone in the future.

rio

• View Profile
Re: Enertia fails to run after heavy rain w/solution
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:21:19 AM »
Great to see people coming back to the forum to post their and issues and solutions. I have the feeling we're going to need all the knowledge and experience we can get!

And awesome of course you got it working again.