Author Topic: Charger shows 0 Amps  (Read 4960 times)

Dietmar

• View Profile
    • Email
Charger shows 0 Amps
« on: August 02, 2017, 03:19:38 AM »
Hi Everybody

Empulse R 2013

I have seen this problem on various forums but unable to source any help/info
When I plug in the charger - fan comes on for 2 seconds, display lights up as usual but charge is zero amp

If I leave the charger connected the battery actually discharges.

I have access to the battery diagnostics gear - all modules good, SOC balanced, no faults

Bike starts and runs with no faults.

Any ideas ?

regards

Dietmar

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Charger shows 0 Amps
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »
What is your SOC?

It's possible that one or more of your cells are unbalanced. This disables charging, and will "bleed" the cell energy through the heaters in the battery pack.

Hit menu and select at the same time, for about 3-4 seconds. It will go to an advanced menu. Take a pic and post it.

Dietmar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 10:49:44 PM »
Hi Frodus

Many thanks for the (only) reply

All modules are perfectly balanced
SOC 97
I individually charged each module since their SOC was out more than 10% which triggered a B55 fault

Battery diagnosis shows all healthy, no faults

Checked all 3 onboard charger fuses ok
even the hidden fuse on black lead from charger port checked ok

Sorry where to hit Menu and select?

regards

Dietmar

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »
Hit menu/select on your dash display.

The battery PACKS might be balanced, but internally, are the cells individually balanced? The advanced menu will tell you low cell, high cell, and if they're actively being balanced.

Do this with the charger plugged in.

Dietmar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:23:14 PM »
Thanks Frodus

I attach pictures
Charger was plugged in for twice about 10 hours
total SOC dropped from 51 to 42 %
but H and L only got slightly closer
started at 0.040 V difference
ended at 0.029 V difference
does this seem normal for such a long time to balance ??

Regards

Dietmar

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 11:30:27 AM »
You're not balancing. Those Dots across the screen show which cell bank is balancing, and you have none that are actively balancing.

I'd check fuses next, but past that, i'm not sure. Might be that your charger isn't charging.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 07:51:05 PM »
Have you tried a different evse?  I remember this happened on my Victory Empulse when I was trying to use this plugashare charging station in SF and it powered on but showed 0 amps.  I had to activate the charger with my phone then it started charging.

Just a thought try a different evse or charging station.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:35:14 AM »
Yeah, I had another EVSE and it wouldn't charge. It ended up being the EVSE. Another one worked fine.

nunux59

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 02:36:00 PM »
Hi Frodus, I had the exact same problem and my dealer took several month to fix it. He told me that the problem was rusty batteries connectors. He also told me that he replaced them by stainless steel ones but I did not check and I am not sure what/where connectors he was talking about.

Hope you find the problem.

By the way what is the battery diagnostic gear ? Is it a computer software ?

Drivingthefuture

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »
Yes if it's a computer software, please do share with us how you got this :) I recently found a gentleman on Instagram who is using an Empulse as a stunt bike in Cirque De Soleil performances... and he has pictures of someone with the old service ipad and computer hooked up to his bike pretty recently... so he might be worth reaching out to. I think he's in Europe tho... his username is @cyssko and he even has his email on his profile!

Seal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
It's solved?

Dietmar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 12:31:12 AM »
Hi to all !
Thanks for your replies.

Not solved but I think I'm closer (to disaster?)

When plugging in the clipper creek PCS-120 (I tried 2 units in different power outlets - pretty sure no issue there) - the dash lights up - fan comes on as normal for 2 seconds - then charge shows 0 amps.

According to the clipper info (on back of unit) - all lights normal - but EV IS NOT REQUESTING CHARGE.

On the power adapter there are the 3 (blue, brown, yellow) AC connectors - plus 1 blue + 1 white much smaller pin (to signal the clipper creek if charge required - or if fault to cut off - signal wires)

So some part of the bike tells the clipper to not send any AC to charger - hence the 0 amps.

Since the bike starts and rides with no faults and battery diagnostics are all good - which part is faulty ?

I talked to 2 ex Brammo dealers - nobody has any idea. Guess they were only trained to replace components after Brammo looked at diagnostics files and recommended part replacements.

The service manual is basically a part replacement manual - not an engineering blueprint or fault finding help.

Any ideas ?

Regards

Dietmar

lamber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »
I'm still learning about the specific hardware Brammo used, but it is a standard SAE J1772 connector, correct?  It sounds to me like this could be an interlock issue.  The two small pins on a J1772 connector are designed to disconnect before the high current lines disconnect, to prevent arcing across the high current connection.  One of those pins is the interlock, or "proximity detector", which is used to detect when the charge cable is connected.  That connection is also broken when you press the release button on the charge cable.  IF that connection is not made, no current will flow.

Normally I would think this would throw a code in the Empulse's onboard diagnostics, but I'm not sure if it does, can anyone weigh in?

Since you used 2 different charge cables, it's likely the issue is not in the cable itself.  You said you individually charged each module?  How did you do this? Have you disassembled/disconnected anything on the bike?
- 2014 Empulse R
- 75% complete KLX250 conversion

lamber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »
Two other possibilities, one is slim and the other may take more time to diagnose.

Have you verified the outlets you tested have power?  An unpowered charge cable shouldn't cause the bike to power on like it does but maybe that is an oversight.

Secondly, have you read this thread?  http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=3085.0

It seems there may a known issue of faulty connectors in the onboard charging system.  To verify you would either need to go to a service center that can work on that component or disassemble and check it yourself.
- 2014 Empulse R
- 75% complete KLX250 conversion

Dietmar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 12:30:24 AM »
Thanks Lamber !

Great new info!

Checked power on outlets, used 2 different clipper creeks - all same result.

Those 2 small pins - do they send a current for the magnet switch on the clipper creek to engage / disengage ?

Measured the voltage - only about 3.5V DC on them.

Do you think putting AC power straight on the charger port would do any damage ? Can attach via the charging cable so would be no arcing.

Just wondering if the onboard charger thinks for itself as stand alone or needs to be 'directed' by onboard computers (AIM, VCU)

Thanks for all your interest.