Author Topic: Enertia B7/B40 Error, bad battery  (Read 4923 times)

ben nelson

• View Profile
    • Email
Enertia B7/B40 Error, bad battery
« on: November 11, 2017, 05:52:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a friend with a Brammo Enertia. He was having problems with it and has no idea how to work on bikes (especially electric ones) and there's no longer any Brammo service available. So, he brought the bike over and dropped it off for me to fix!

He said that it had an error, but that it ran, although only at lower speed. When I got it, I could turn it on, but not get it into the run mode. (Of course, I don't even have an owners manual for the bike. I'm assuming that I just need the key on, the kill switch to on, kickstand up, and press and hold the start button. Let me know if I'm doing that wrong!)

When I turn it on, I can very briefly see a B7 error, and once the bike is booted up, it just lists a B40 error. An exclamation point in a triangle flashes on the display.

On social media, some Brammo owners suggested just plugging it in to charge and have the batteries balance themselves. Oddly, as I put it on charge overnight, the % charged went DOWN and the time remaining to charge went UP!

I also haven't had any luck finding an owners manual or repair manual for the Enertia. I'm not sure that a service manual ever existed. Any web links that I find to an owners manual all point to the same no-longer-there web reference.

I pulled the body panels off the bike to see what was under it. I was a little disappointed that I would have to strip off a bunch of other components to ever get AT the batteries. I removed the charger and a few other components off the top (tank area) of the bike and could finally get to those 3 batteries.

Two of them had little green blinky lights, but the third didn't. I checked with the volt meter and got 12.9V on two of the batteries and 0.3V on the third. Sounds like that's a dead battery!
I tried putting a little power into it with a "dumb" 12V charger, but it ammeter on the charger pegged at max right away. I also couldn't get power into it with my bench power supply. Sounds like the battery is dead and has a direct short.

I haven't yet pulled off everything from under the bike to get at those three batteries. I guess I'll have to just to check those three as well.

At this point, it sounds like it's at least one for sure dead battery. I don't know if there is a problem with the BMS as well, or if the issue was simply the battery.

Does anyone know how to clear codes on this bike?

I'll post some images. All input on this is welcome! Please help me fix this bike!

ben nelson

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Enertia B7/B40 Error, bad battery
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
I finally found an owners manual!

http://www.lautlos-durch-salzgitter.de/fileadmin/Produkte/Brammo/Enertia/Dokumente/Brammo-owners-manual_engl.pdf

Looks like there's a few changes between the 2010 and 2012 model years. The bike I'm working on does NOT have the "Tank Button" for example.

ben nelson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 09:10:03 PM »
I pulled off the front/bottom cover to check the batteries in there. They all read 12.9v.

I completely removed the one battery which I already checked and saw had bad voltage.

Looks like I have one dead dead dead battery. Any idea where to get a replacement? The new version of the same battery has a different style of connection for the BMS.

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 05:50:32 PM »
I am trying to debug the same issue with B40..  I haven't charged it a few months or more..  Now I am trying to find way to charge it...
2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.

Consultec

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 12:01:05 AM »
I fixed the b40 issue. I was able get my Enertia back to full health by charging the top 3 batteries... I didn’t need to remove the batteries from the frame, charged it at 2amp...
2014 Empulse R (Red), 2010 Enertia (Burnt Orange), 2000 BMW R1200C, 2010 Enertia (Red) coming for wife.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »
For those that don't know, Ben was in a motorcycle accident yesterday. Unfortunately he was on his Newly-resurected Brammo Enertia motorcycle when a truck pulled out in front of him. His quick thinking likely saved his life. He laid the bike down and slid.

I just talked to his wife who was beside him. He got banged up pretty good, but he's alive and going to be OK.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »
Oh no! Best wishes to him for a quick recovery.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
Sending thoughts for a speedy and complete recovery.

CBke

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »
Found via twitter, so if you can help him out

http://300mpg.org/2018/03/26/hit-by-a-truck/
CBke

brianemccoy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 12:56:08 PM »
Having all the same problems with no one to service it....bought it from a guy that worked at Brammo in Talent Oregon,and he said he could be my service guy,but Brammo went belly up and he doesn't respond so SOL?
Have my Brammo for sale on FB and CList....needs to be a savvy techy/mechanic/etc.
Great bike ,just needs the right person to get it going again.

GOZR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 12:08:56 AM »
My light on this battery is red

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »
Here's a section of a Valence (the battery manufacturer) document that explains some of the LED flashes on the batteries.  I'm also including the Brammo System Warning and Error Codes page from the Enertia manual.

It sounds like one or more of your batteries has fault condition.  Having a red LED isn't great, but it's better than no LED activity.  If you have a multimeter, set it to measure DC volts and check the voltage of any batteries that have a red or no LED activity.  Keep in mind that it can take ten seconds or so for the LED to flash in some cases. 

Also be careful not to let the metal part of your positive multimeter lead touch the frame or any other metal parts of the bike during your testing.  You definitely don't want to short anything.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:04:42 AM by sunchaser »

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 09:03:31 AM »
System warning and error codes.  Sorry for the image quality. 

You can also download the entire Enertia manual here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130917090145/http://brammo.com/documents/brammo-owners-manual.pdf

The error codes are on page 78.

This link describes the reset button:

http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reset_Button

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:11:22 AM by sunchaser »

nice

• Enertia Master
  • 2 Enertia's Basic 2012
    • View Profile
    • http://niceemotion.nl/
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2021, 01:01:52 PM »
B7 means lost module; one (or more) module does not communicate with vcu. faulty pcb
2x Enertia Basic 2012
1x Mobylette AV50 1971
1x Kreidler 50cc Special 1975
1x Simson Schwalbe KR51/2 1986
Tubbergen, Twente, the Netherlands