Author Topic: New Guy Questions  (Read 1888 times)

Jjphoto

• View Profile
    • Email
New Guy Questions
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:13:38 AM »
I've never driven a motorcycle, but I was drawn into the whole Brammo world by the incredible specs on the new Empulse. I pre-ordered on a whim, but it turns out that my wife actually LIKES the idea. So, while we're waiting for the models to enter production, I have some technical questions, which don't seem to be answered anywhere on the site.

1) Charging - it's stated that it can charge over 110VAC or "Level 2." Am I correct that "Level 2" charging is single-phase 208VAC, using a SAE J1772/3 plug - and is that what's commonly referred to as "Avcon?"

2) Charging continued - are there different plugs on the bike for each charger, or must one carry some kind of adapter? Is there a good place online to learn about this kind of charging, it's requirements, installation, etc?

3) iPhone - I read something on the site (somewhere) about there being "an iPhone port" on the bike. What in the world does that mean, and am I wrong to think that plugging in a device that sucks the juice might be a sub-optimal choice?

4) Helmets and audio - what's the best solution these days for handling audio while riding, both for music and for telephone calls? Do they make helmets with Bluetooth A2DP, etc? Or is it considered a horrible idea to ride while listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks?

5) Maintenance - can someone give me a rough idea of what kind of maintenance an owner should expect to perform themselves (I've fairly mechanically savvy and VERY technically savvy)? And in the Sacramento area, what kind of shop can service a bike like this?

6) Newby guide to motorcycles - since I'm clearly so new to this game, who can point me to a good resource to get me kickstarted into the world of bike ownership? Safety? Gear? Accessories, etc?

Thanks in advance for all of your help, folks - I know that there are a lot of questions up there.

-jesse

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Guy Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 09:46:47 AM »
Hi Jesse!  Great questions... I even have some answers:

1) Charging - it's stated that it can charge over 110VAC or "Level 2." Am I correct that "Level 2" charging is single-phase 208VAC, using a SAE J1772/3 plug - and is that what's commonly referred to as "Avcon?"
Check out this thread, especially the posts by BrammoBrian, a/k/a Brian Wismann, Brammo's Product Development Director.

2) Charging continued - are there different plugs on the bike for each charger, or must one carry some kind of adapter? Is there a good place online to learn about this kind of charging, it's requirements, installation, etc?
On my Enertia, there is one plug - under the seat is a IEC320-(I think) male outlet.  The 110v cord is coiled under there... it has a basic three prong male end you plug into your wall socket, and the IEC320 female on the other end.  Not sure what the Empulse will have.  As for places online to learn... maybe google "EV Charging..."?

3) iPhone - I read something on the site (somewhere) about there being "an iPhone port" on the bike. What in the world does that mean, and am I wrong to think that plugging in a device that sucks the juice might be a sub-optimal choice?
We're all waiting and wondering on this as well.  Some discussion about apps is going on here.

4) Helmets and audio - what's the best solution these days for handling audio while riding, both for music and for telephone calls? Do they make helmets with Bluetooth A2DP, etc? Or is it considered a horrible idea to ride while listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks?
Yes, there are many helmets that are bluetooth friendly.  Personally, I think it's a bad idea to do this, but I've got ADD.  :)

5) Maintenance - can someone give me a rough idea of what kind of maintenance an owner should expect to perform themselves (I've fairly mechanically savvy and VERY technically savvy)? And in the Sacramento area, what kind of shop can service a bike like this?
There's lots of threads on maintenance here, but I've tried to collect the necessary information on the Brammo Owners Forum Wiki: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki/
Basically, oil your chain every 250 miles. Adjust your chain when it has too much slack.  Check tire inflation. That's about it.  Although... with an Empulse you will have the added complexity of water-cooling, so expect some maintenance on that.
Any shop can do the basic motorcycle service, but a Brammo Tech will probably have to do anything related to the battery, dash, etc.  Stay tuned to see if any Sacramento dealers will be joining the Brammo network.

6) Newby guide to motorcycles - since I'm clearly so new to this game, who can point me to a good resource to get me kickstarted into the world of bike ownership? Safety? Gear? Accessories, etc?

Check out Motorcycle Safety Foundation (classes in operation, safety, etc.)  I like webbikeworld.com for their great reviews on gear.  I'm going to let someone else chime in here with their own favorites.

Again, welcome to the forum, Jesse.  Hope you stick around and share some of your experience with us. For example, how did you get your wife to agree that two-wheeled anything was a good idea?  ;)

Thanks in advance for all of your help, folks - I know that there are a lot of questions up there.

-jesse
[/quote]
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: New Guy Questions
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:36:25 AM »
Snip snip.
I believe the iPhone can draw a maximum of 1A @ 5V over USB (twice standard max). A 5W power drain on a device with a 50W headlamp and a motor that can pull anywhere from 2kw to 40kw .. is negligible.

You can get a helmet with bluetooth A2DP built-in, or you can get helmet-compatible earbuds that will work in a similar fashion. My personal recommendation would be to skip the bluetooth for now - as a new rider, you'll want all your concentration on the road and vehicles around you.

Definitely check out an MSF basic rider's course (BRC). Typically they're a few hundred bucks, they'll put you in the classroom for a half day and on the bike for two days starting from the absolute basics. They provide the motorcycles and the helmets (typically), jacket/gloves/boots are up to you (borrow from a friend if you can). Almost all of what you'll learn on an ICE bike is directly applicable to an electric bike.

Here's one such in the Sacramento area:
http://www.safetycenter.org/com_motorbasic.html

You can download the BRC handbook from the msf site:
http://www.msf-usa.org/CurriculumMaterials/BRCHandbook2009.pdf

Here's a fantastic safety and dynamics site with an excellent forum. Read through the BRC, read through some of the safety tips on this site, take the BRC, read through the safety tips again..
http://www.msgroup.org/default.aspx
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/