Author Topic: Motorcycle Consumer News tests the Zero SR/F  (Read 705 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Motorcycle Consumer News tests the Zero SR/F
« on: July 23, 2019, 05:20:35 PM »
The August 2019 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has published a compete test of the SR/F.  They gave it their highest rating in their Evaluation chart for all areas of the motorcycle.  Oddly though, the comments in the text didn't seem quite that positive in some aspects.  Also, no power/torque curve was included as they say that their their "dyno is currently challenged in reporting accurate EV numbers."

One big negative was the short range of the SR/F. They experienced a maximum city range of 130 miles and a low of 46 miles when ridden aggressively on mountain roads and at high speeds on the freeway.  Their average range was 88 mph under typical riding.

Their bike seemed to have an issue with the Bosh Advanced MSC system. With the system on their braking from 60 to 0 mph distance was 135 feet. However their braking distance from 60 mph with the system turned off was 121.5 feet.

The bike sure accelerates hard. 0-60 mph took 3.6 seconds, while the quarter mile was covered in only 11.72 seconds at a speed of 119 mph.

The editors said that the SR/F has "excellent suspension" and then went on to say that the Showa Big Piston forks had harsh valving and was difficult to adjust because the adjustment screw was obstructed by the handlebars. They felt that the 24.5 degrees of fork rake was too aggressive and produced some oversteer at hard lean angles. They would like to see the fork trail increased to 3.7 inches and would also like to have a 10% larger chassis as they felt that the riding position was somewhat cramped.

One big improvement over previous Zero models was that they only experienced battery overheating, which generated a dash warning, when the SR/F was ridden extremely aggressively.  Under normal conditions the battery temperature was listed as "medium".

The article said that: "The gauges reported inconsistently, especially those measuring range and state of charge. These need to be precise, since riders can't pull over just anywhere to quickly refuel. When range is off by as much as 20 miles, it could leave EV riders stranded."

The editors said that they "also experienced many random trips of the ground-fault interrupt circuit (GFI) in the garage, which interrupted the nine-hour charge cycle."

No mention was made of the gap in the front of the "tank".

Their maintenance chart shows just one routine service at 20,000 miles, requiring 1.25 hours of labor and $135 for parts.

The article ends with the following comments:  "The Zero SR/F will meet the needs of more riders than its predecessors. It seems expensive up front, but long-term costs are comparable or even favorable to many gas motorcycles. Performance is amazing, about 50 percent better than previous Zero models in both top speed and range (?). However, range is still limited by the inconvenience of recharging. Electric is the future, though it's not yet as convenient as its traditionally fueled competition."
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Motorcycle Consumer News tests the Zero SR/F
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 03:54:33 AM »
I met a dude at the Lightning Motorcycle event this weekend and he loves the bike.  He was showing all the cool things you can do on the phone with it.  It records telemetry and GPS tracks.  You can adjust the bike's settings.  I kinda forgot already but he says it will get around 60 or 70 miles mixed range.  He says he rides it up to 80mph.
 He said if you don't ride it fast you could probably get 100. 

He also said that he weighed the bike and it came in surprisingly light.  Like 480lbs or something almost the same weight as an Empulse which is surprising because the bike is huge.  He liked it a lot. I should have asked if I could try it out at full regen.  He said it will regen like a ducati V-Twin engine braking. 
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 08:10:21 AM »
All of those cool things that you can do with the SR/F, are all things that I would never use.  What I would do is to set up the instrument display with whatever it was that I wanted to see while I was riding, like SOC, battery voltage, trip mileage, estimated range, time and motor and battery temperatures.  After that I would give up and ride the SR/F like that. Eventually I would forget that it could do other stuff and how to change the display and just ride the bike without paying much attention to the display.  ::)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 03:29:44 AM »
haha I'm the complete opposite I love playing with all the doodads and gizmos.  I still cycle through the display on the Empulse sometimes.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 06:03:42 PM »
haha I'm the complete opposite I love playing with all the doodads and gizmos.  I still cycle through the display on the Empulse sometimes.

I used to be like that until one afternoon I looked up from a momentary trance of gizmo fiddling, on a new BMW R1200R, to see the quickly approach metal bumper of a pickup coming at my windscreen. Turns out I had let my eyes and MIND stray on 101 North by SFO in heavy traffic.

A true pucker-moment teacher for a lesson never forgotten. Time and place for everything...

Now I'm with Richard: set and forget.

Barty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 08:58:20 PM »
Found this article today -
https://electrek.co/guides/zero-motorcycles/

Bottom line - Sometimes basic bikes (less gizmos) is better... And being pretty good in several categories, is better than being the best in a single area...

"The Zero FXS is a supermoto in the truest form. Supermotos are motorcycles that are designed to perform well in just about every category. You wouldn’t take a Harley down a set of stairs. You wouldn’t take a dirt bike touring on the highway. And you wouldn’t take a cruiser bike off dirt jumps. Those are all bikes that are basically meant to perform great in one specific area. But supermotos are designed to be good at just about everything, even if they can’t beat a dedicated bike in specific niches."

If / When my Enertia gets retired - This seems like a reasonable replacement...
Brammo 2012 Enertia