Author Topic: Sound added to the Empusle?  (Read 3597 times)

Ion Flux

• View Profile
Sound added to the Empusle?
« on: October 08, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »
Hi there folks, new guy here.   :)

Anyway, I'm really excited about the Empulse, but I have some concerns about the sound it makes (or rather the lack of sound).  I know the "loud pipes save lives" argument is a bit contentious, but human beings definitely use sound cues to make decisions when driving.  I came across this article (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/green/brrrrm-brrrrm-brammo-makes-a-little-noise/6096) that said that Brammo would be building in the option to have sound emitted from their bikes, but I haven't read anything about it on the Brammo website.  Anyone know whether this will be an option on the Empulse?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sound added to the Empusle?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »
Howdy Ion and welcome to the forum.

I remember that zdnet article... I put several comments on it. 

To my knowledge, Brammo is not planning to add any sound to any of its bikes, but perhaps someone from the company could let us know for sure. 

Back in the summer of 2009, Brammo had some interns from CP+B, an advertising agency, working on a possible sound contest, but it never went live. 

Originally, I thought sound was a good idea.  Now that I own one, I don't.  I have a sound maker: the horn.  My horn, my safety gear, my attention ... that's all I need.

However, I have toyed with the idea of adding some sort of aftermarket loudspeaker with Harley rumblings and roars, but only for laughs.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

GeorgeS

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 11:45:22 AM »
This is the only sound I need:

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »
Oh, come on, George... how 'bout this?:

GeorgeS

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:20:04 PM »
Pretty good Brammofan. That took a little work.

On another subject--Can't you get somebody at Brammo to give us some kind of an update on the development program and production schedule for the Empulse. I'm sure there is ton's of good stuff happening. It would be good PR. You could be the Lyle Dennis or Static (Jay at Nissan-leaf) only for Brammo.-GSB

Ion Flux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »
I totally get where you guys are coming from in terms of the aesthetics of the Empulse's sound.  I really dig the sound of the whining electric motor and the whizzing chain, but you have to admit, there are added safety issues with a bike that's *this* quiet (especially if you're going as fast as this bike is reported to be).  It was one of the things the guys at Motorcyclist talked about in their recent comparo of the Enertia and the Zero-S.  It's certainly something worth talking about anyway.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 04:32:10 PM »
I'm a big proponent of you make your own safety.

Always assume you are invisible and drive accordingly.

One, a pipe isn't heard well at all from in front...all the noise goes backwards...so you are warning the cars behind you...but they should see you anyways.

Two, headphones, loud car stereos, freaking DVDs of barney playing...people on cell phones, people freaking texting, cars being more and more soundproof... DON"T assume anybody can hear you...because they probably can't...or, sadly, don't care. I've had to kick the side door of two cars coming into my lane (not counting the endless times I've been able to brake or swear out of the way)...one time the person clearly saw me, but wanted over and was bigger and thought I would move.

So I tend to drive ahead of the traffic every chance I get...and when I can't be ahead of it, I drive like at any instant somebody is going to try and kill me...basically because it is true.

Long post short, no pipe is going to save you. there will always be cars that don't hear you no matter what. Always drive like the cars can't see or hear you. If you think your pipe or modulating lights are safety vest is going to protect you, you will be hit someday. Now good lights are wonderful. A safety vest is nice to wear. Even a loud pipe might help with a car or two...but none will make you "safe", only good riding and constant awareness will do that.

Gavin

now if they add a sound maker that projects out 360 degrees, especially in front, like a cop siren does, well that could help quite a bit more than a rear facing pipe...but again, heck cop cars with sirens roaring are often in accidents by inattentive drivers...so always drive as described above, like you are invisible.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:36:43 PM by Gavin »

GeorgeS

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:50:54 AM »
Well said Gavin,
Let me bounce this safety idea off of you.

When going thru an intersection, always try to go thru with a car on your left and just a tad in front of you just in case somebody turns left in front of you.--GSB

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:53:35 AM »
Not a bad idea...just be careful not to be in the driver's blindspot.

Gavin

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 08:56:12 AM »
Well said Gavin,
Let me bounce this safety idea off of you.

When going thru an intersection, always try to go thru with a car on your left and just a tad in front of you just in case somebody turns left in front of you.--GSB

... but be ready for that car on your left to cut you off when the driver realizes that the McDonald's he wants to visit is just past the intersection, on the right.

I do feel a bit safer going through an intersection under the circumstances you outline, George. 

I see Gavin already commented about the blind spot issue.

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 02:10:08 AM »
my two cents:  you already have a noisemaker on these bikes.  It's called a HORN.  :)

Seriously, though, with over 100,000 miles of riding, I can tell you that all loud pipes do is make cagers HATE motorcycles.  Quiet is good.

eric
aka the webman
webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »
If somebody makes a sound system that makes the brammo sound more like a normal bike (not annoying loud) please post it here. I will buy it NOT for safety, or to annoy people. Just for my own lols.  :D

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 09:55:54 AM »
My gas bike (GS500) is quiet enough that it's only faintly audible at the riding position above 40 mph or so, and at those speeds a car in the oncoming lane that does not see you likely will not hear you anyways.

Some type of selectable noise would be nice for parking lot maneuvering, however. The motorcycle parking where I work requires me to cut across the path of travel for pedestrians walking from the parking lot into the building, and while I watch those around me, I'd rather avoid someone running through cars into my line of travel without watching where they were going.

Also, maybe a bit to show off. If I could toggle it to TIE fighter scream from time to time, I so would!
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 08:03:54 PM »
I like the selective noise for maneuvering around people and the tie fighter sound ideas.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 12:05:04 PM »
I like the electric-motor sound. I think it gives the bike a high-tech character and will draw more attention from the public as you pass by, since it will be an unusual sound to hear on the roadway.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.