Author Topic: 2013 Brammo Empulse R ICON Spec 32 #6 -- Seattle area -- $4,000 SOLD!  (Read 2846 times)

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy

2013 Brammo Empulse R ICON Spec 32 #6 -- Seattle area -- $4,000
http://www.rideicon.com/the-ride/bikes/icon-x-brammo-spec32

12,800 miles.  Second owner.  Title in hand.  Located in the greater Seattle area (western Washington State, USA).

I love this e-bike and have the license plate EBIKE to share it with the world!  :)

Yes, it still runs fine (rode it today, in fact)!
Yes, it still charges (from 40% to 100% in 3-4 hours if needed)!
Yes, it still looks great!

The only catch is that "V58" messages have been appearing on the dashboard.  It still runs fine, but I don't have the technical skill or tools to troubleshoot.

Details and pictures to follow.

--
MichaelJ
tenspot1+bf at live dot com
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:44:38 PM by MichaelJ »
2013 ICON Brammo EBoz Spec 32 (#6)
2012 Current Motor Super Scooter
2007 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
Re: 2013 Brammo Empulse R ICON Spec 32 #6 -- Seattle area -- $4,000
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 07:10:34 PM »

For Sale - 2013 Brammo Empulse R ICON Spec 32 -- #6 of 32

Asking $4,000 o.b.o.  Shipping negotiable.

Details:

This Empulse R has been a reliable commuter bike for 6 years and almost 13 thousand miles, on roads and highways, in sun and rain, and in temperatures from 42*F to 85*F in the greater Seattle area.  It still put a smile on my face today as it carried me along some nice rural roads to get an early start on the long Memorial Day weekend.  (Obligatory COVID-19 note:  ATGATT and I did not come within six feet of any person outside of my household during this ride.)

It has always been garaged both at home and at work, so the Eric Bostrom limited edition blue-orange colors and carbon fiber panels still pop and draw attention in the sunlight.  Please look forward to some photos in another post.

The only reason I'm reluctantly offering it up for sale is that "V58" messages have started to appear on the dashboard with increasing frequency [1] as I ride, and I don't have the skills or tools neccesary to troubleshoot it.  The closest Polaris/Victory dealership tells me they don't have the necessary skills or technical support from Polaris, either.

These error messages have not had any noticeable affect the quality of the ride.  I have not experienced any problems with safely operating the motorcycle (charging the battery to 100%, turning the bike on and off, moving under power from the motor, throttle response, braking, lights, or the dashboard display).  I wouldn't have even noticed these messages had I not been looking at the dashboard to check my speed.

The only other messages I've seen are the "B40" message [2], which appears once in a blue moon and then goes away simply by turning the bike off, then on again.

[1] http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=3808.msg26894
[2] http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=3033.msg23855

For Sale - 2013 Brammo Empulse R ICON Spec 32 -- #6 of 32

Asking $4,000 o.b.o.  Shipping negotiable.

What's included:
  • 2013 Brammo Empulse R, limited edition ICON Spec 32 bike number 6 of 32
  • Brammo documentation (user manual, stickers, brochures)
  • Brammo-labeled Clipper Creek PCS-15 portable level 2 EVSE for 120V outlets
  • Brammo-labeled courier bag to conveniently store the documentation and EVSE in
  • Relatively new Michelin Pilot Pro tires for better grip in the rain (new as of 2-3,000 miles ago)
  • Removable GIVI hard saddle bags (one left, one right) and rack
    (Note: saddle bags are not large enough for a full-face helmet, but do fit the EVSE with plenty of room to spare)
  • Removable National Cycle Deflector DX windscreen

Plusses:
  • Still runs great after 6 years!
  • Only 12,800 miles.
  • Clean title.  Second owner.  First owner in Texas only put 23 miles on the odometer.
  • Always garaged, both at home and at work.
  • Still charges normally at Level 2, from 20-100% in 3.5-4 hours.
  • Battery rested at 40-70% SOC when not riding for long periods (e.g. over winter).
  • It's got that limited-edition blue-orange Eric Bostrom color scheme and carbon fiber look.
  • RAM X mount for smartphones easily attaches to handlebars for easy navigation or music.
  • Oil breather tube leak already repaired under warranty, never to return.
  • Smooth, comfy seat (more comfortable than wife's 2017 Zero S).

Minuses:
  • No support from Brammo, Polaris.
  • Occasional B40 message at power-on.  Clears after turning the key to OFF, waiting a few seconds, then ON again.
    BrammoForum posts suggests this is harmless.
    http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=3033.msg23855
  • Occasional V58 message during ride (with no perceptible effect on throttle or ride).
    BrammoForum posts suggests this is a DC-DC converter or VCU issue, but I'm not technical enough to troubleshoot.
    http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=3808.msg26894
  • Clutch handle doesn't easily disengage the clutch, but shifting without operating the clutch is easy to get used to with good throttle control (have been clutchless shifting for years without issue).
  • Some nicks and blemishes on the plastics not noticeable unless you really look.
  • Some road dirt and grime have accumulated on the orange wheels and soapy water won't remove it.

Photos to follow.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 07:11:49 PM »
Wow cool
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 02:11:39 AM »
Here are some photos in Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3pHp7wadz4bWqch17

Could you please let me know if you can see them?  I had some trouble uploading them correctly.

Thanks for your interest!  I hope this great bike can find its forever home.  :)

--
Michael

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 06:07:20 AM »
The photos look great. Nice looking Empulse to say the least.  Good luck with your sale.

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 02:59:08 PM »
Hi Michael,
your Empulse Icon looks really amazing.
Is it possible to sell it outside the United States? I live in Europe.
Karel
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »
The photos look great. Nice looking Empulse to say the least.  Good luck with your sale.

Hi Sunchaser, thank you for confirming access to the pictures!

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
Hi Michael,
your Empulse Icon looks really amazing.
Is it possible to sell it outside the United States? I live in Europe.
Karel

Hello Karel,

thank you for your interest.  I don't mind, but I am not familiar with the costs and process of shipping a vehicle internationally and transferring ownership.  If you have done this before, what advice would you give for avoiding problems with this process?

I will have to do some research about shipping and ownership transfer, but I would also like to hear about your experience with this.  Buying a GIVI case is one thing, but buying, transferring ownership, and registering a vehicle in another country is probably very different and much more complicated.

A quick search online suggests that shipping costs could cost US$1,000 - $2,000 from the US west coast to Europe.  Is US$6,000 within your budget?

Which country in Europe do you want this motorcycle to be shipped to?  What vehicle documentation is required by your country and what fees and taxes will they charge for you to import this vehicle?

Do you have an EVSE with J1772 to recharge the Empulse with?  The ClipperCreek portable EVSE uses a US 120V plug so it might not work correctly for you in Europe without a plug adapter or transformer.

The research on my end will take some time as it is now the Memorial Day holiday weekend in the United States.  Businesses for motorcycle sales and shipping will not reopen until Tuesday, if they are open at all during the Coronavirus pandemic.

--
Thank you for your understanding!
Michael

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 07:37:42 PM »
Hello Michael,

I'm so glad you don't rule out the opportunity to sell your beautiful electric motorcycle outside the United States :)

Personally, I have no experience with importing vehicles from the USA, but I have a good friend who imported a Toyota RAV4 EV electric car from California a year ago. So I can ask him anything about import, homologation, taxes, customs and vehicle registration in our country. It will be the same for a motorcycle, but definitely a bit cheaper :-)

My friend lives (just like me) in the Czech Republic (Central Europe). His vehicle was imported by container ship from a port in California to a port in Germany (Hamburg). Then the container with the vehicle was transported by truck to our country. Subsequently, the vehicle was cleared through customs, homologation and registration took place in our country.

Required documents for registration:
Certificate of Conformity
Technical certificate of the vehicle from the country of origin
The first registration of the vehicle must not be older than 8 years!

Homologation:
All lights must be European approved (letter E in a circle).
The flashing lights must be orange.
It must be possible to switch on the front and rear parking lights.
Speedometer units km/h (instead of mp/h)

The total price plus imports and all fees should increase by approximately 30%.

I own an Renault Fluence Z.E. electric car, which is also charged using the EVSE J1772 level 2. It is possible to convert the EVSE supplied to the motorcycle from 120V to 240V.

I will ask my friend for more details and find out information about the company that his electric car brought him. Then, of course, I will inform you about further details.

Have a nice day
Karel
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 05:07:48 AM »
Hello Karel,

Thank you for your patience.  I have not yet made much progress in my research into shipping the motorcycle.

About the Certificate of Conformity - is that what's in the first photo?
What qualifies as a "Technical certificate of the vehicle from the country of origin"?
According to Certificate of Conformity, the vehicle was manufactured in May 2013, so today it is 7 years and 1 month old.

I will check for the letter E in a circle on the lights.
The flashing lights are orange -- the bulb is orange, but the plastic cover for the lights are clear/white.
The parking lights, front and back can be turned on together by turning the key anticlockwise.
Good question; I will have to check the user's manual for instructions to change the speedometer units to metric.

--
Michael

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »
Hello Michael,
today I spoke with an importer of vehicles from the USA to Europe.
In order to calculate the price of transport, he will need the following data:
-ZIP code of the city where you live
-maximum dimensions of the motorcycle
-weight of the motorcycle
Could you please write me this information?
Thanks
Karel
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
Hi Karel,

sorry for being silent for two weeks. 

About the circled letter E on the turn signals:

• I could not be sure if I found it.  There is very small embossed text in the clear plastic cover of the turn signal.  Very small print is difficult for me to read.
About changing the speed and distance units to metric:
  • I could not find instructions for how to do this in the user manual, even though the part of the manual that describes the dashboard implies that it is possible to display km/h.

Dimensions of the motorcycle (data is from the manual):
  • Length:  2065 mm (81.3 inches)
  • Width across the handlebars:  808 mm (31.8 inches)
  • Height (ground to dashboard, not mirrors):  1082 mm (42.6 inches)
  • Weight (without Givi cases):  213 kg (470 lb)
The mirrors make the bike maybe 300 mm (12 inches) taller than the dashboard, and the Givi cases make the bike maybe 200 mm (8 inches) wider than the handlebars.  The mirrors might need to be removed for shipping -- it does not look like they will rotate downward to fit a smaller box.  The Givi cases are already removable.  Depending on the size of the shipping container, the Givi cases can be included with the motorcycle or shipped separately.

My ZIP code is near 98052, but I can give you more exact data if we decide to proceed with this.

Thank you for your patience.

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 04:51:00 PM »
Hi Karel,

could you please look at the four newest photos in https://photos.app.goo.gl/3pHp7wadz4bWqch17 to see if the "E" in a circle is present on the turn signal?

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 09:37:20 PM »
Hello Michael,

Thank you for the information regarding the maximum dimensions and weight of your motorcycle.
I'll give it to the importer to calculate the shipping cost.

Yes, the turn signals have European homologation (symbol E3 in a circle).

Switching speed / distance units from miles to kilometers is not necessary, but it will be very unusual for me, especially to comply with speed limits :-)
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

MichaelJ

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • EV Envy
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 04:07:16 PM »
Hello Karel,

Thank you for letting me know that the E3 marking on the turn signal lights enclosures are correct.

As for the speed units, I can sympathize.  I once rode a motorcycle from the US to Canada and had to solve the same problem.  Fortunately, the motorcycle had an analog speedometer with both units of measurement.

With a digital display, perhaps you can remind yourself of the conversion rate by writing down some important pairs of numbers and attaching this piece of paper to the motorcycle:

31 mph ~ 50 km/h
50 mph ~ 80 km/h
45 mpg ~ 90 hm/h
62 mph ~ 100 km/h
68 mph ~ 110 km/h
81 mph ~ 130 km/h