Author Topic: CA requires electric truck sales  (Read 378 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
CA requires electric truck sales
« on: June 26, 2020, 05:23:56 PM »
My newspaper today said that California regulators have passed a rule requiring that certain percentages of all truck sales in the state must be fully electric, or otherwise zero emission, including pickup trucks, delivery trucks and tractor-trailer trucks. The rules, which take effect in 2024 will require at least 40% of all tractor-trailer trucks sold in California to be zero emission vehicles by 2035, 55% of pickup trucks and 75% of delivery trucks by that year.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: CA requires electric truck sales
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 07:02:49 PM »
Wow, that's huge news.

I've always wondered why delivery trucks weren't electric. Range is known, finite, and repeatable on a daily basis, with plenty of time to charge overnight. In cities with hills (I'm talking about you, San Francisco), the torque would be welcome. Finally, the lack of routine maintenance should appeal to fleet owners.

Several years ago I read about an outfit that yanked the engine and drive train out of delivery trucks and replaced the engine with a gas turbine, running at a constant optimum speed, which ran a generator to charge batteries to power wheel motors. Total cost was about the same as replacing the engine which owners had to do anyway on a regular basis. Operating costs were about half. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, but I never read about them catching on. 

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CA requires electric truck sales
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 12:33:56 AM »
I do know there are some Fedex EV package cars and I know UPS has hybrid package cars.  I actually got to ride in one.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139