Author Topic: New California EV registration fees  (Read 965 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
New California EV registration fees
« on: July 01, 2020, 04:55:16 PM »
My newspaper just reported on new California electric vehicle fees that are going into effect today.  Here is what the article said:

"A $100 fee begins today for electric cars with a model year of 2020 or later. This will be followed by an annual registration fee that varies based on the market value of the vehicle. On the low end, the fees are $25 for a vehicle valued at less than $5,000, but anyone with a $60,000-plus plug-in vehicle will be paying $175 per year. It is expected to generate $52 billion over 10 years, which will be put back into the state' budget for infrastructure repairs."   (Or so they say.....   ::) )

I assume that is in addition to the standard ICE vehicle yearly registration fees. I have yet to hear if this new fee also applies to electric motorcycles, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.   ???
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New California EV registration fees
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 02:05:37 AM »
Hmm it might not because we don't smog motorcycles to begin with.  The state is just trying to get more money from us anyway they can because you won't be paying a gas tax :(  As if registration wasn't high enough already :(
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 07:44:05 PM »
Here is the latest article regarding the new EV fee that went into effect this month. Naturally, there was no thought about electric motorcycles when the new fee law was passed.  It will be interesting to see if owners of electric motorcycles get hit with the same $100 registration fee as owners of electric cars. Apparently hybrid vehicles slip pass the fees even though they use a lot less fuel than ICE-only cars. It will also be interesting to see if the fee actually goes to road maintenance or is diverted to other programs.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 04:03:16 AM »
So what do they do with all our registration money?  It goes up regardless.  California robbing it's people...

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »
So what do they do with all our registration money?  It goes up regardless.  California robbing it's people...

Vehicle registration fee funds go into a big pot and the money is used for all sorts of things, including funding the CHP, the DMV, and a lot of other miscellaneous organizations and programs that are vaguely related to transportation. I am not sure how much, if any, actually manages to make it to physical road repair and maintenance, like the gas tax does.  I don't think there are any specific laws that specify where the money goes.  ??? It is likely left up to government regulators and the yearly state budget to parcel out the funds.

I once read an article about traffic fines and where they went. There was a basic fine that was distributed to the state's general fund and then that amount was doubled and those fees went to all sorts of random social and court-related programs, which is why a $150 traffic fine ends up actually costing $450 in California.  ::)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 12:51:44 PM »
For years, European countries taxed according to engine displacement, driving the efficiency of ICE's.

What would make sense is for the states to tax according to fuel efficiency (better pays less) and weight of vehicle (lighter pays less). Such a tax structure would incentivize lighter vehicles and cleaner ones.

But "sense" and "taxation" probably don't belong in the same sentence. ::)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 04:41:27 PM »
For years, European countries taxed according to engine displacement, driving the efficiency of ICE's.

What would make sense is for the states to tax according to fuel efficiency (better pays less) and weight of vehicle (lighter pays less). Such a tax structure would incentivize lighter vehicles and cleaner ones.

When developing new taxes it is always best not to think too much about the details, such as fairness. ::)

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 05:05:03 PM »

Actually in California and several states there's a law that as time goes by a auto manufacturer has to increase their fuel economy figures.  So manufacturers usually have what's called a compliance car, where they sell a car just so they can meet those fuel economy standards like EVs and stuff.  At some point there will no longer be ICE for sale in California if this continues.  California has some of the strictest emissions laws in the country and probably the world.  Pretty much the standards are set by California because they are so strict it will pass elsewhere.  The California standard exceeds the Federal standards O_o'  I suppose it's good for the environment is the good thing and it challenges manufacturers to inprove their tech.

I know in Japan it's like you mentioned, you have to pay more tax the larger displacement vehicle you drive.  That's why you see a lot of 400cc bikes in Japan.  It's the limit before you get to the next tax level.  They have these tiny cars called Kei cars also for the same reason.  In a way I think it makes sense.  Their motorcycle licenses work kinda the same way they have different level license for certain sized motorbikes.  Where in America I can ride anything from a 125cc to 1800cc.  I wonder how the electric bikes work in Japan since they are 0cc?