Author Topic: stripped drain plug  (Read 761 times)

Sabinn

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
stripped drain plug
« on: July 30, 2020, 06:53:33 PM »
been changing the oil on my 2014 since the day I bought it. Today, I managed to strip the plug. Vice grips didnt help, it's like the metal itself has become soft. This sucks.

Question: are drain plugs a standard size or do I need to order a special Brammo part?

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: stripped drain plug
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 10:20:57 PM »
Oil Drain plugs differ.  There is no such thing as a common plug.  You are going to have to get it out anyway, so once you do, you can measure it and find a replacement.  It is going to be a metric plug as the transmission is an Italian product.  The strange thing is, if you look at the parts book, they call it a 1/4" G plug W/magnet.  And the crush washer is called a copper washer 1/4" 13X19X1.5.  This makes no sense at all, sounds like a 1/4" pipe plug but it isn't.  The washer dimensions give you a hint as 13mm is about a 1/2" so a metric drain plug (that uses a crush washer) of about 12mm diameter with a straight thread is most likely what's in there.  A little antiseeze on the threads when you put it in helps and watch the torque.  People tend to overtorque them for fear of them falling out. 

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 02:05:34 AM »
You might be able to get it out with a hammer and chisel if there is still meat on the plug.  Hit the plug so it'll turn counter clockwise.  I'm not responsible if you break something  ::)
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 05:50:10 PM »
Some forward planning might be required:

IME, the steel bolt almost never strips in this application; it's the aluminum threads in the oil pan that go.

Since an Empulse oil pan, I'd guess, would be pretty hard to find, you'll probably have to have a shop drill your out and install a Timesert (or Helicoil).

Then, you can start shopping for your replacement drain plug to fit whatever is installed.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 05:15:37 PM »
Maybe your experience was different than I thought, since you mentioned Vice-Grips. Did you round off the corners of the head of the bolt?

In that case, you'll probably need to drill down the center of the bolt and use an Easy Out screw extractor.

Sabinn

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 12:03:51 PM »
Found the part I need. Part #16 in this tranny assembly. Any thoughts on how to acquire just the drain plug?

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 04:59:45 AM »
I would think you could probably find a drain plug that works at a local auto parts store, if you can get the plug out you can take it with you an match it up.  I don't think there is anything special about it, you probably want to get a low profile one since it's at the bottom of the motor assembly. 

Alternatively if you can't get the plug out and want to change the oil you can use a vacuum pump through the fill plug and suck out all oil and then just add oil.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 05:20:47 PM »
Agree with H/O....  Also, as previously mention in this thread....  The plug is steel and the case is aluminum, which almost certainly means the plug threads will be intact and your case drain whole will be stripped !!!!  This can  be corrected by a skilled mechanic without pulling the case utilizing a Helicoil insert....  Also as H/O suggested, if the plug is just spinning in place while trying to turn it out counterclockwise, you will need to put something on the plug like a vise grip pliers to pull down on as you rotate the plug, in hopes that it will submit to removal....