Author Topic: Won't run, relay?  (Read 1179 times)

Tinker

• View Profile
Won't run, relay?
« on: August 01, 2021, 09:45:26 PM »
Hi, I have a Brammo Empulse that won't run. When I turn key to on system boots and checks out OK. Then when I push the ON  switch on the throttle assembly nothing changes and the ON light does not light. It did this intermittently over a few weeks then would start and run fine. Now multiple tries and no go!
Where should I look first? Run/start switch (it clicks)?  Is there a relay somewhere? Wires from hand switch to control module?
I am comfortable with electrical wiring but I'm not familiar with this bike.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Danny

empulsefan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Won't run, relay?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 02:59:22 AM »
Hello Danny,

it's a bit quiet on this forum! I would check if the "on"button stil works fine so remove headlight,search
for the connector, disconnect and use a wire to shortcut to simulate the button.
goodluck!
Gerry
(I removed and cleaned 4 relays in the left fusebox, my bike didn't start at all sometimes.looks ok now!)

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 03:24:37 AM »
Hi, sad to hear of your troubles. It appears to me that the grey start switch goes only to the VCU so you may have to disconnect and check the VCU connection. (2F middle row inner right!) The on/off kill switch also goes to the VCU but has a branch into the 125v fuse box were it passes through a 5A fuse and to the only relay in that box. Test relay and fuse. I'm not sure how helpful this is but be careful in the 125v fusebox if you have the power on. The fuse  has battery voltage as does relay terminals 30 and 87.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

Tinker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 12:51:39 PM »
Thank you for these replies. I will jumper switch and also check connection to VCU.
I have downloaded the service manual but don't see a wiring diagram, is there one available?
Good to know others have had a problem that simple cleaning of contact solved.

empulsefan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 03:27:07 PM »

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 04:03:10 PM »
I know that there should be a warning light but---how about the kickstand safety switch?  It might also deserve a look as it is in a nasty place.

Tinker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 12:36:31 PM »
Turns out it was the easy fix. Cleaning the run/kill switch did the trick.
Thank you for all the replies and for the link to the wiring diagram, I'm sure it will come in handy.

Tinker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 01:38:03 PM »
 :-[  I spoke to soon! Intermittent  No start is there now almost always. I cleaned up all the contacts in the start button and it tests out with a continuity tester.
Is there a low voltage power source 12V that I can attach a power probe to when the key is in on position? That would make tracing the start signal much easier. I will try cleaning up the fuse panel and swapping the relays around in case the relay is intermittent. I also haven't gotten access to the handlebar switch connector, I will try to find it and clean it up as well. Any thing else to try?
It seems like it must be a simple problem but I haven't found it yet.
Thanks in advance.
Danny

empulsefan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 01:29:30 PM »
Hello Danny.
sorry to hear! don't have the solution though.
My problem also still excist, starts sometimes, sometimes only the parking light(and rearlight).
Hope someone can help us out.

Gerry

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 07:16:43 PM »
Have you tried plugging in the charging cable and if so what happens?

Tinker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 10:18:58 PM »
It charges fine with with the cable.
When I turn the key on all lights cycle through startup as normal. Then the start button has no effect. Today I cleaned every connector I could find and inspected the wiring harness. I also probed the switches looking for 12V but the I realized that they may just send a ground signal to the ECM . I also moved relays around in case one was bad. Still nothing. I will look at the ignition switch wiring next.
If I can't get this sorted out is there someone in the SF bay area that can test the electronics?
Thanks for your help.