Author Topic: RR footage?  (Read 5674 times)

Bishop

• AOL Instant Messenger - brybishop
    • View Profile
    • Email
RR footage?
« on: November 20, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »

So I see a camera mounted on the RR here.  Any chance we could see that footage?  I think all of the raw race footage goes a long way to help customers see and hear the real speed of the bike.  For performance enthusiasts, and people looking at the transition from ICEs, this is about as close as we can get to a test ride.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:36:38 PM by Brammofan »
Game Changer?  Trite but true.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Re: RR footage?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
Sorry for the delay... this is entirely my fault. It turns out the compression "shell" used for the GoPro HD camera makes it fairly uneditable by standard video editing programs (like Windows Movie Maker) and the size of the HD video (1080i) means it takes a decent machine to edit it in the first place.  So, excuses aside, I'm finally getting set up to get some clips together for your enjoyment!

Thanks for the patience!

Bishop

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:06:52 PM »
What, are you guys busy or something?  A capital campaign, new facility, two new product launches, and who knows what else?  That's it?

Just kidding.  1080 GoPro?  Great news.  Unfortunately most video editing programs dismiss h.264 "lossy" format as non-editable because of the artifacts, but I do know that Apple's iMovie works with it.  You could get a plugin to work with it in WMM, but it might just be better to get a free converter (http://www.squared5.com/) and work with a lossless, more common format.  Should be some quality footage so thanks for the reply.  Can't wait to check it out!

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:10:13 PM »
Ok, ok... here it is.  Released exclusively to the BOF members! I know the quality is not as good as it can be, but it will have to do for now until I can play around with the various conversion settings.

A few notes on the videos:

1. The on-board track video was recorded while we were doing some data logging, so the focus on the track was getting good data, not setting record times.  We were also doing at most 3 laps back to back (out lap, 1 complete lap, in lap) in order to check that we were getting the data we needed.  Therefore, all of the laps were done at a 80-90% pace. The speedo is close, but not really calibrated to the rear wheel/tire/sprocket combo we were experimenting with at the time.  The board at the start says "B" because it was a light trackday and they were running A and B group together.  I don't apex turn 1 because it's track etiquette.  

2. I am the rider in both videos, and as much as I'd like to believe otherwise, I'm not a professional racer.  There is no doubt that only a pro will be able to extract the maximum performance from a bike like this.  I love riding it though!  

3. For the road test - This is a road I am intimately familiar with as we used to test Ariel Atoms up this same stretch of road.  I know the traffic patterns and even some of the few people that live along this road.  This was a one-time test to justify the 3.5 hour drive to the test track.  At the beginning of the clip, I pass a truck on a double-yellow.  Shame on me, but you'll notice I line up on the trucks left and gain a full view of the road ahead through the corner before passing.  The double yellow breaks at the next bend.  

Ok.. without further ado...

Brammo Empulse RR Track Test

Brammo Empulse RR Road Test
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:43:08 AM by BrammoBrian »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:41:28 PM »
Thanks for the videos...

Gavin

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
Thanks for the videos, Brian.  Looks like it had no trouble breaking 100mph on any stretch that was reasonably straight.  This is at Thunderhill, right?

Was that a USB datalogger taped on the inside of the fairing, left hand side?  (Looked kind of familiar).

And finally... who was riding the camera bike in the road test -- oh, and what kind of bike was it?

Wow.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
yes, i was wondering myself...obviously a gas bike.

as for the passing...that didn't scare me...but I did flinch the one time you almost put your foot down at around 2:02...yikes. that would hurt at 60 plus mph  :)

Gavin
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:23:07 PM by Gavin »

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »
I just found a new hobby.

Hitting repeat on two videos

Thanks for giving us this footage. Though I suspect it may be a blatant marketing ploy to capture anyone who was on the fence about electric motorcycles.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »
Though I suspect it may be a blatant marketing ploy to capture anyone who was on the fence about electric motorcycles.
Blatant? Ploy?  You make it sound so . . . dirty.

I actually think that between EICMA and getting ready for production of the Empulse and Enertia Plus, he really did finally find the time to edit and upload these videos. 

Looks like Hell for Leather just picked up the story:Brammo RR in Action.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:59:46 PM »

as for the passing...that didn't scare me...but I did flinch the one time you almost put your foot down at around 2:02...yikes. that would hurt at 60 plus mph  :)

Gavin

Ah... that's how you point out debris or a hazard in the road to the following bike - you point with your foot.  Sounds like Aaron hit whatever I was pointing at anyway...

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 06:05:36 PM »
Thanks for the videos, Brian.  Looks like it had no trouble breaking 100mph on any stretch that was reasonably straight.  This is at Thunderhill, right?

Was that a USB datalogger taped on the inside of the fairing, left hand side?  (Looked kind of familiar).

And finally... who was riding the camera bike in the road test -- oh, and what kind of bike was it?

Wow.

Yes, the bike accelerates from 60 to 100+ mph almost at will.  It's kind of crazy... you definitely need to be ready to hang on. That is Thunderhill Raceway.

Good eye... that's the same USB datalogger stick as the Enertia velcro'd to the fairing stay on the left. The Empulse RR also uses the same VCU as the Enertia to manage the bike at the system level (which is why we're also able to log all the data).

That's Aaron Bland, Mechanical Engineering Manager, on the chase vehicle. He was riding his track modded Ducati Monster on this ride with the camera literally mounted on the headlight.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »

Gavin

Ah... that's how you point out debris or a hazard in the road to the following bike - you point with your foot.  Sounds like Aaron hit whatever I was pointing at anyway...

Ah, nice...I ride scooters so I just point with my hand

Gavin
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:34:04 PM by Gavin »

Bishop

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
Well that got out fast  :)  Guess that's a good sign people are so interested in your products!

Thanks Brian.  Great footage.

Dansrc51

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »
beautiful stuff. thanks for sharing

Vibetrippin

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »
Blatant? Ploy?  You make it sound so . . . dirty.

Dirty... yep! In that seductive, sexy girlfriend way.