Author Topic: Brammo in this month's Cycle World  (Read 1122 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brammo in this month's Cycle World
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
Interesting write-up on electric motorcycles in general, featuring the bee-yoo-ti-ful Empulse on the article's opening spread.  Worth a read:
Cycle World Article

Give it a look-see
Cycle World Article
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
Re: Brammo in this month's Cycle World
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »
I just read the 6-page article. (I subscribe to the magazine and received it in today's mail.) It was not exactly what I expected from the photo of the Enertia on the first two pages. The article is a reality-check about electric motorcycles. It discusses motor and battery technology and compares battery energy storage with the energy in a gallon of gasoline. It mentions that there are not really any electric motors or batteries that were designed for motorcycle use and the article seemed to have a "glass half empty" spin on things. I think it is a reasonable evaluation of the current state of electric motorcycle technology and is geared to the typical reader of Cycle World. It does a decent job of explaining EV technology problems, but doesn't exactly make you want to run out and invest in an electric motorcycle -like the Enertia shown on the page.

My main complaint is that the article could have looked further into the electric-power future and also could have explained that electric motorcycles at this time are really great for in-town errands and commuting. But then the magazine is aimed more at motorcycles as a recreational sport, so I can understand their approach to the subject.

Frankly, I had hoped that the article had some new information regarding the Enertia, but that is not the case. The photo is there to grab your attention.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 01:31:01 AM »
Brammofan:

I've been a subscriber for 20 years, and have always appreciated their writing (peter egan is the BEST!), but what has become increasingly clear to me is that their readership tends towards the upper-middle-class, overwhelmingly white, conservative demographic, so this report wasn't exactly surprising to me.  Still, I thought there was some good information in the article, some of which I hadn't seen before.

By the way, if you question my assertions above, visit their forum sometime, particularly the american bike forum section.  I'm not knocking them, its just not my vibe; I like tradition AND new things.  Does that make me weird?  :)

webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor